Votes: 1 11.1%

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 2 22.2%
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Concerto Grosso
7,875 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A much hated building in the city centre by John Madin (Whose tower in the suburbs was recently demolished) - but I must admit I quite like it.

It's actually two towers joined by glass walkways, and bizarrely was build 'across' Market Way, but the area between the two towers was designed to represent the fact it was across a thoroughfare.

Proposed in 1969, and finished in 1975. It's an office building that has never been fully used and is currently partially occupied.

61M, 14 floors.

It was designed to be 'bright white' to prevent it from being gloomy but, erm, isn't any more, and underneath they had to put a load of metal structure because of downdraft problems - so underneath, it is a bit gloomy and pigeons on the metal canopies crap all over the floor underneath (Leading to complaints from shop owners that they're always having to clean it up). Apparently, the canopy hides an 'interesting shaped building' at ground level.

I suspect it might have been built to try to bring some more life into the precinct, around the same time they also try building apartments and leisure venues - an experiment that failed.

This is going to be demolished as part of the 'Coventry South' redevelopment in the near future.

Untitled by Bodgecity, on Flickr
This is the area in the shopping precinct underneath the LHS tower. The metal canopy can be seen. A strange place to stick a tower.

Untitled by Bodgecity, on Flickr

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I have a strange fondness for it, even thought it brings back bad memories of taking my driving theory test there lol!

I think it didn't work due to its isolation. Instead of plonking down towers randomly to give the Precinct life (like the Lower Precinct tower) they should have been clustered around Corporation Street. Ironic really that modernists would seek to mix commercial use and shopping given they believed in separating uses, had they stuck to their own principles Friargate would not be Coventrys first proper business district!!!

The best thing about this building is the view of it from the Warwick Road. Had it been put somewhere else it would be worth renovating but where it is I'm glad its going.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts