SkyscraperCity banner

301 - 320 of 541 Posts

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Round the back of the old library where the entrance will be redeveloped to allow better access to the new building.

The view of the route to where the new building will be. The large shed is mostly empty and will go.

·
Registered
1,789 Posts
Looks like more archaeological works being carried for the Health and Science building.
There is a live webcam pointing at the dig:

http://seb.coventry.ac.uk/view/viewer_index.shtml

Also, there is a brief reference to this on the Cov Uni website:

Work is scheduled to start in 2015 with a view to opening in 2017.

Current activity on the site includes a 2nd archaeological dig. The first dig revealed a cellar and other underground rooms dating back to the 14th century.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
Construction looks to be starting soon. The site is being cleared and fencing is going up.

Two new access gates have now been erected.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
When was the side of the gatehouse redone? Every time I see the rebuilt side facing the ring road in brick it makes me angry! The front of it was looking very shabby last time I looked too.

·
Concerto Grosso
7,865 Posts
Didn't they rebuild that part of the gatehouse a couple of years ago after it burnt down?

Shame its empty and sitting by itself without any context.

I guess it was originally part of the street, so the bricks in the side may well be there from when someone built alongside it back in the past.

·
Registered
3,949 Posts
There is a surface level car park between the new building and the ring road. Can't see it staying that way for too long.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
I had where this was being built slightly wrong.

I thought it was being built south of the gatehouse drive, so it was right up to the edge of the ring road. It's actually to the north on the car park next to the Sports Centre.

Slightly disappointed, as I thought this was going to be the start of building up to the ring road and it starting to be treated more like an average road than a mini motorway but there'll still be a big gap.

Oh well - at least there'll still be enough space to put another one in like that in the future hopefully.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Hi, I've been a long time reader of these forums but never been one to write anything but thought I'd contribute for a change. Portal House in New Union Street houses Coventry Universities Finance, HR and Marketing departments. The University is expanding at such speed that as much space needs to be made available for teaching as possible, hence letting Portal house. The University increased student numbers this academic year by 3000. If this academic year starting next month stays at the same level as last year without increasing, it still increases the total by another 3000 due to last years 3000 entering their second year. However the University wants to expand further. This is why there has been a lot of releases lately of new student accommodation, as the University is worried about where all these students are going to be housed. An important fact that many people outside the University may not know is that currently the Uni has roughly 37000 (reported 6 months ago) students between Coventry Uni, Coventry Uni College, the Coventry Uni London Campus and by 20/21 they want to more than double this. That is a lot of students to this city!!! However not all would be in Coventry as the London campus is expanding and has now taken over the whole of University House (formerly East India House) and also their is the newly announced Scarborough campus. Makes a nice change to inform people of things I know instead of reading all the time :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
It does bring in much needed money. It's just a shame the expansion of students and research is delaying Priory Halls and James Starley building from being knocked down.

301 - 320 of 541 Posts