SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· stig1982
688 Posts
Somethings up.

There's a good view of this from the bottom of Gosford Street. I think it's going to be the new MSCP - it's certainly nothing to do with the Engineering and Computing Centre as it's too far away from the top of Gulson Road.

Has anyone seen any artists impressions of the new car park? There is a very non-committal image lacking any detail contained within the video clip available via the University's masterplan page, but I'm not aware of a detailed planning application which gives any more information.

Meanwhile I see that the Swanswell / City College MSCP has opened, and is now awaiting the installation of the large 'flower' art work on the side. I hope we get a decent car park like this along Gulson Road - it'd be a shame to put up a bland boring box like so many other MSCPs.

· stig1982
688 Posts
Stig, here's the planning app:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=692271

I took a fews images from the design statement:

Enjoy! It's a big one, isn't it?
Cheers.

I have to say I think it looks shit. Another uniform, grey cladded box devoid of feature.

I'm very disappointed by this. The Belgrade Plaza car park and the new Swanswell MSCP are both a lot more attractive with glass work and other features. The University's attempt here is laughable - how can they think this will look good between the ultra modern Computing and Engineering building and the old tax offices on the other side? Not to mention that it's a stone throw away from the Far Gosford Street Conservation Area and completely out of character!

:eek:hno:

· stig1982
688 Posts
Its a shame that the old St. Marys school site by the traffic lights nearby has been left to rot. Its been empty for maybe 5-10 years now ( i think). That would be a superb site for some curvy appartments with a turret rising up on the corner, making a feature of the corner site (although they would need bloody good double glazing to sell them!) It could be home to an iconic building one day...but if the site missed the housing boom of a couple of years ago it will be a few more years until we see movement on it.
You know, all the times I've walked/driven past that site I've never once thought about what a good location it is for housing. It makes so much sense! On the verge of town, Far Gosford Street and Ball Hill; excellent transport links etc.

Why has there been no interest in this site?! They were certainly quick enough to build on the former Highfield Road Football Ground site when that was cleared 5 or so years ago.

· stig1982
688 Posts
That would be good. I really hope that happens. Along with the improvements to the streetscape down Skyblue way. All those lovely backsides of the buildings, eh. What a good impression of the city. What a bunch of retards who designed this thing.

Ta-da, this masterplan shows (in white) the amount of "in filling" that is proposed for Far Gosford Street / Sky Blue Way to try and repair the damage done by the laying of SBW in the first place.

If it goes to plan it should make the eastern entrance into the city a lot more appealing and inviting.

· stig1982
688 Posts
It's always a danger but I think it'll complement the library and won't date too badly, although it may suffer from looking slightly odd next to the houses on the opposite side of Gulson Road (something which Selfridges in Birmingham suffers from very badly)
I've always been in two minds about the Bull Ring; on the one hand it's modern and striking, yet on the other hand I can't help but feel the grey clad Selfridges Building itself will soon seem like the grey concrete structures of the 60s/70s.

· stig1982
688 Posts
Yes, I noticed yesterday that more hoardings had gone up around the Jordan Well site, and there are also some diggers and other machinery sat there.

I have a friend in the construction industry who told me that a start day was imminent. Pretty soon the skyline will be filled with cranes along the eastern route in/out of the city. Severn Trent behind the courts, central campus building on Jordan Well and then down to the new car park at Gosford Street.

If they crack on with Far Gosford Street then there may be even more cranes on the skyline!

:)

· stig1982
688 Posts
There is also a decorating centre behind the tyre place as well. No one will miss that either.

With that plot of land plus the site of the Gulson clinic behind it should give the uni enough land for another large building.
If/when the Tyre Place does get demolished, I would personally like to see a series of smaller buildings constructed up to the road (rather than set back as the Tyre Place is now). In other words I'd like to see the street line restored to link Gosford Street and Far Gosford Street. Something around 3-4 storeys would work well. I hope they don't build another huge block like the library or the new university car park. There is room at the rear of the Tyre Place (moving towards Gulson Road) for more large scale buildings, but I think the Far Gosford Street frontage should be far more sympathetic in scale and in character. No metal or plastic clad buildings there thank you very much!

· stig1982
688 Posts
For a while now I have been wanting to have a tinker rond with a CAD programme that allows you to create mock up small scale masterplans or even artists impressions.

Does anyone know of a programme which is fairly user friendly and relatively inexpensive? I seem to remember that one of you guys did a CAD style plan for the New Union Street / Greyfriars Church area of Coventry, showing how you would open up the street towards Fords Hospital.

· stig1982
688 Posts
I think that was sleslie and it was in Google SketchUp I think, which has a free version. I used it to create my masterplan of the Broadgate/Cathedral area.

http://sketchup.google.com/download/

It's decent for simple stuff - it just doesn't do rendering very well. As long as you're not bothered about it looking ultra-realistic it'll do the job. You can also import pics from google earth so you can use it as a template for an area without having to measure it all out :)

Here's the thread http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=581976&highlight=sketchup Post 113
Cheers bud - I haven't had chance to download it yet and tinker round, but I will at some point, much appreciated.

· stig1982
688 Posts
Can someone tell me why all these old pubs are being demolished?? Surely they would serve as a mix in the new architecter of the University area, i mean what else are they gonna build in that small gap? Another square?
Totally agree with you Scaz - it's a needless waste. Access to and exit from the new car park have been designed around the car park (this is very clear from the Design & Access Statement available via the Planning Portal) so it makes you wonder why on earth they now seem intent on demolishing it.

If anything, there should be an attempt to reconnect Far Gosford Street with Gosford Street and establish the streetline again, not puncture more holes in it! The other side of the street is already a complete mess with its set back, cheap and low level university buildings that look like they belong on an out of town commercial complex rather than in a city centre. Why do they seem set on ruining the decent other side?

The Coventry Society and the Victorian Society are involved trying to save the pub; if you have strong feelings about this then it'd be well worth dropping the Council/University a line.

· stig1982
688 Posts
Ask Cov Uni..,.

Although is the Peacock being demolished in whole or just the back of it?
I hope it is just the rear they are demolishing. The land there could be used for an interesting new build. Perhaps they could make the Peacock into something similar like the former Calcott Factory / Astleys Building (i.e. retain the main building but then build modern residences at the side/rear.

Why on earth hasn't the University considered this?!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.