SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Second Citizen
16,832 Posts
It's a second tier uni isn't it? And who else is bringing a lot of local spenders (students) and a large workforce (staff) to Coventry City Centre?

Most large cities have a uni in the city centre and it adds to the vibrancy, especially into the evenings. Cov should embrace it and build on its success, but it needs to be done properly of course.

· Second Citizen
16,832 Posts
Very interesting columns :)

Provides jobs, yes, but doesn't seem to be that vibrant these days or create demand for retailers or leisure businesses that the non-students want, and creates something of a ghost town effect out of term times. (I'm a graduate of Cov Uni, and experienced the crapness of the city both as a student and as a working resident!)

I don't object to the Uni. I just would rather it wasn't becoming a city centre campus. I did a doctorate at Sheffield Uni and that was far better in that it fitted in mainly with the city's street pattern.
I assumed that Cov Uni was going to follow the street pattern - I guess this is not the case? Bad move then IMO.

It might add a bit of life into the city centre for a portion of the year, but out of term there's nothing.

And the number of businesses geared towards them gives the place a really low-rent feel, so no-one else really wants to go there.

I also fear about the amount of student accommodation the city is building, as I think we're reaching a peak in student numbers and this will drop off in the next 10-15 years, leaving a lot of unoccupied low-rent dwellings.

I'm happy to have the uni in the centre, as it adds to the mix, but it's becoming far too dominant IMO.
Low-rent is good as long as it is not shabby. That is what gives a city its character - independent businesses and a more mixed neighbourhood - think London's East End, Manchester's Norther Quarter.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.