SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Coventry University | Engineering & Computing Building | Gulson Road | 7fl | Comp.

54942 Views 347 Replies 32 Participants Last post by  Dr Pepper
Work has now started on the £30m Arup-designed engineering and computing building for Coventry University.

To be built on Gulson Road just outside the city centre, the 14,000m2 building will have a sedum roof and photovoltaic panels in its facade. Construction by Balfour Beatty will be completed in May 2011.

21 - 40 of 348 Posts
Read the design statement - I'm sure there is some glasswork in it.
Cheers.

I have to say I think it looks shit. Another uniform, grey cladded box devoid of feature.

I'm very disappointed by this. The Belgrade Plaza car park and the new Swanswell MSCP are both a lot more attractive with glass work and other features. The University's attempt here is laughable - how can they think this will look good between the ultra modern Computing and Engineering building and the old tax offices on the other side? Not to mention that it's a stone throw away from the Far Gosford Street Conservation Area and completely out of character!

:eek:hno:
I think it looks quite nice. Especially the lighting at night. U cant expect too much from a car park.
Cheers.

I have to say I think it looks shit. Another uniform, grey cladded box devoid of feature.

I'm very disappointed by this. The Belgrade Plaza car park and the new Swanswell MSCP are both a lot more attractive with glass work and other features. The University's attempt here is laughable - how can they think this will look good between the ultra modern Computing and Engineering building and the old tax offices on the other side? Not to mention that it's a stone throw away from the Far Gosford Street Conservation Area and completely out of character!

:eek:hno:
Construction continues apace.

The main building is a cleared and flattened area of ground.

No messing around here then. When's it due for completion?
Looking at the pdf on the planning site, I think this will be quite nice (very nice for a car park). And the good thing about car parks is they go up very quickly!
This might sound strange but thats the best looking car park I've ever seen!

I must say I have my doubts about the main building. Sure its unique, but how will it look in 20 years time? Its an example of Coventry making the same mistakes again and again (I'm thinking Ikea and how its already an eyesore!)

I guess when its actually built it may look stunning (for a few years anyway!)
It's always a danger but I think it'll complement the library and won't date too badly, although it may suffer from looking slightly odd next to the houses on the opposite side of Gulson Road (something which Selfridges in Birmingham suffers from very badly)
This might sound strange but thats the best looking car park I've ever seen!

I must say I have my doubts about the main building. Sure its unique, but how will it look in 20 years time? Its an example of Coventry making the same mistakes again and again (I'm thinking Ikea and how its already an eyesore!)

I guess when its actually built it may look stunning (for a few years anyway!)
Yea, theres going to be a disparity in the streetscape. Hopefully one day if that proposed hotel at the bottom of Gosford Street gets built, that might improve things.
That would be good. I really hope that happens. Along with the improvements to the streetscape down Skyblue way. All those lovely backsides of the buildings, eh. What a good impression of the city. What a bunch of retards who designed this thing.
Yea, theres going to be a disparity in the streetscape. Hopefully one day if that proposed hotel at the bottom of Gosford Street gets built, that might improve things.
Its a shame that the old St. Marys school site by the traffic lights nearby has been left to rot. Its been empty for maybe 5-10 years now ( i think). That would be a superb site for some curvy appartments with a turret rising up on the corner, making a feature of the corner site (although they would need bloody good double glazing to sell them!) It could be home to an iconic building one day...but if the site missed the housing boom of a couple of years ago it will be a few more years until we see movement on it.
There was a planning app for some apartments there, but I don't know what happened to it.
Its a shame that the old St. Marys school site by the traffic lights nearby has been left to rot. Its been empty for maybe 5-10 years now ( i think). That would be a superb site for some curvy appartments with a turret rising up on the corner, making a feature of the corner site (although they would need bloody good double glazing to sell them!) It could be home to an iconic building one day...but if the site missed the housing boom of a couple of years ago it will be a few more years until we see movement on it.
You know, all the times I've walked/driven past that site I've never once thought about what a good location it is for housing. It makes so much sense! On the verge of town, Far Gosford Street and Ball Hill; excellent transport links etc.

Why has there been no interest in this site?! They were certainly quick enough to build on the former Highfield Road Football Ground site when that was cleared 5 or so years ago.

Ta-da, this masterplan shows (in white) the amount of "in filling" that is proposed for Far Gosford Street / Sky Blue Way to try and repair the damage done by the laying of SBW in the first place.

If it goes to plan it should make the eastern entrance into the city a lot more appealing and inviting.
That would be good. I really hope that happens. Along with the improvements to the streetscape down Skyblue way. All those lovely backsides of the buildings, eh. What a good impression of the city. What a bunch of retards who designed this thing.
There has been interest - a planning app was put through years ago for apartments. The first one was rejected as the building was awful. From what I recall the planned development was pretty awful.
You know, all the times I've walked/driven past that site I've never once thought about what a good location it is for housing. It makes so much sense! On the verge of town, Far Gosford Street and Ball Hill; excellent transport links etc.

Why has there been no interest in this site?! They were certainly quick enough to build on the former Highfield Road Football Ground site when that was cleared 5 or so years ago.
I've always been in two minds about the Bull Ring; on the one hand it's modern and striking, yet on the other hand I can't help but feel the grey clad Selfridges Building itself will soon seem like the grey concrete structures of the 60s/70s.
It's always a danger but I think it'll complement the library and won't date too badly, although it may suffer from looking slightly odd next to the houses on the opposite side of Gulson Road (something which Selfridges in Birmingham suffers from very badly)
Yeah, I've seen this image before. it looks impressive. Shame they can't do the same on the other side where you've got all the back yards!

Ta-da, this masterplan shows (in white) the amount of "in filling" that is proposed for Far Gosford Street / Sky Blue Way to try and repair the damage done by the laying of SBW in the first place.

If it goes to plan it should make the eastern entrance into the city a lot more appealing and inviting.
I've also been in two minds about Selfridges. I've seen there are plans for a tall building across the road from it, so hopefully that will balance it out.

Hopefully Gosford St's rennovation will make developing the old St. Marys site a more enticing prospect.
I've just realised that the view in the first picture is only possible with the demolition of the pub in the second.
Stig, here's the planning app:

http://planning.coventry.gov.uk/portal/servlets/ApplicationSearchServlet?PKID=692271

I took a fews images from the design statement:

21 - 40 of 348 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.