SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
26,276 Posts
Last night I came back from Poland, just in time as Poland is shutting its borders and suspending flights.

I went to larger supermarket do a bit of shopping for my elderly parents.

A few shots, first the pasta section:

IMG_20200312_164824864_HDR
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

IMG_20200312_164809833_HDR
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

Luckilly, this being Poland, we won't run out of disinfectant :troll:

IMG_20200312_172637917_HDR
by Geogregor*, on Flickr

It is important to get priorities of supply chain right :lol:

·
Registered
26,276 Posts
How's things in Poland ?
Basically state of lock down, similar to Italy or Spain. You can only go out to work or buy basic supplies. Only supermarkets and pharmacies are open.

Polish authorities got very aggressive very quickly, a few days after the first cases. I managed to fly out on Friday, on midnight from Saturday to Sunday flights got suspended and borders closed.

So far Poland has 205 cases an 5 deaths. Considering the size of the population it is not bad result.

My flight was only around 25% full. There was actually still flight to Bologna from my local airport, I saw maybe a two dozens of passengers waiting, mostly looking like Italians heading back home.

Interesting times. I have ageing parents with many medical conditions. And no clue when I'm going to see them again. Or even how to get home if there is emergency.

·
Registered
1,290 Posts
I believe the current modelling suggests that the (first) peak will be in the summer, no? Even in a best case scenario we seem to be looking at tens of thousands of deaths and a recession looming. London is probably the last place in the country I would want to be right now.

·
Registered
25,433 Posts
This from the Sunderland Echo,--

Sunderland news LIVE: Coronavirus latest as Nissan suspends production at Wearside plant plus strict new measures from Government

Hello and welcome to our live blog where we will be bringing you the latest updates on coronavirus throughout the day.
esterday the Government introduced new measures in a bid to prevent the further spread of the illness.

We will keep you up to date with developments on the situation in the North East and across the country.

Read more https://www.sunderlandecho.com/health/coronavirus/sunderland-news-live-coronavirus-latest-nissan-suspends-production-wearside-plant-plus-strict-new-measures-government-2474589

·
Registered
25,433 Posts
This from the News & Star,---

Covid-19 forces Laura Ashley into administration

Fashion chain Laura Ashley has filed for administration, putting up to 2,700 jobs at risk, after rescue talks were halted by the coronavirus outbreak.

The troubled retailer, which has stores in Workington, Carlisle and Kendal, had been in talks with stakeholders over refinancing, but it said its revised cash flow forecasts and increased uncertainty mean it will not be able to secure these funds in sufficient time.

Read more https://www.newsandstar.co.uk/news/18311587.covid-19-forces-laura-ashley-administration/

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
In the Spanish Flu it started in China. (possibly). It was spread at its initial outbreak by American servicemen. To begin with it was not too bad, like a flu & chesty cough and hit the elderly. It spread across the world very rapidly, particularly in Spain & Europe but for some reason was less severe in China. Then it turned into the second, devestating phase (equivalent to our about October.) You can't really compare countries as it is no respecter of borders & acts differently in different places. You can follow countries here. It may not be exactly up to date but gives a good idea. https://www.worldometers.info/coronavirus/country/us/

That's what killed the vast numbers..higher fatalities than both World Wars put together, - plus how ever many Tsunami's you want to throw in. I have just been in the fish & chip shop & he said if it keeps on much longer I won't be here. I said you are in the wrong business ..better to be a supermarket or a toilet roll manufacurer.

At the time of the Spanish Flu there were only 1.8 billion people on the Earth. If it turns out that way we may be facing the biblical 3rd & 4th riders of the horses of the apocalypse.

·
Registered
3,297 Posts
At the time of the Spanish Flu there were only 1.2 billion people on the Earth. If it turns out that way we may be facing the biblical 3rd & 4th riders of the horses of the apocalypse.
We are better educated these days (entire population)
We are better connected
Better healthcare
Better technology - online shopping
Wealthier, so what that means is less than 1% of the population is actually required to do the important work: healthcare, food production and supply chains. The rest of us work in nice-to-have industries

Therefore we are in a better position than then. Plus no world war to weaken people's immune systems and move people about all over the shot!

·
The Legend
13,107 Posts
With the Coronavirus I understand some members on here may be classed as high risk or be in contact with someone who is high risk and will be social distancing.
Currently aside from work commitments it’s wise that I too limit my social interaction.

Anyway, I wish you all the very best and good health.

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Durham Miners’ Gala 2020 cancelled due to coronavirus crisis

Chronicle Live website article from 18/03/20

EXTRACT

Durham Miners’ Gala cancelled due to coronavirus crisis

Despite not taking place until July, the Durham Miners’ Association (DMA) has made the decision to cancel the event now to relieve the public service from months of preparation in the lead up to the event.

The DMA also said it wanted to ensure the 20,000 people who attend the event will not be exposed further to the virus and wanted to give those who travel Durham from around the world notice.

Hotels, pubs and market traders will be hit as the Gala brings an estimated £10 million to the City of Durham every year.

Full article on https://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/durham-miners-gala-cancelled-due-17943831

KEN

·
Registered
19,786 Posts
Shields Ferry announces cuts to service as coronavirus crisis impacts staff numbers

Shields Gazette website article from 18/03/20

EXTRACT

Shields Ferry announces cuts to service as coronavirus crisis impacts staff numbers

The Shields Ferry is cutting evening and weekend services in response to the coronavirus crisis.

The ferry will operate a regular timetable from 7.15am to 6.30pm Monday to Saturday until further notice.

Later crossings on Thursday, Friday and Saturday evenings will also be suspended, while the ferry will not operate on Sundays.

Full article on https://www.shieldsgazette.com/health/coronavirus/shields-ferry-announces-cuts-service-coronavirus-crisis-impacts-staff-numbers-2483337

KEN

·
21,968 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
E-Mail I received today from "Fenwick Department Stores" . . .

Temporary closure of all Fenwick Department Stores

As a family business, the health and wellbeing of our customers, our teams and our local communities is always close to our heart and in these times of great uncertainty we need to do the right thing for them by mitigating the potential spread of the coronavirus. We have therefore taken the very difficult decision to temporarily close all Fenwick stores to the public from 6pm on Thursday 19th March 2020, until further notice.

You, our customers, are exceptional and we know you will understand that we have not taken this approach lightly. The doors of Fenwick have been open to customers for almost 140 years - it goes against everything in our nature to close them. But these aren't normal times and we find ourselves in the unique situation where shutting our doors, for the time being, is the right thing to do for our customers, our colleagues and our communities.

For as long as we can, we will continue to operate our digital and social channels including our online store at www.fenwick.co.uk, our Instagram @FenwickOfficial and our Fenwick Stores Facebook page. Please visit these for the latest information and updates.

We thank you for your loyal support and understanding in these exceptional circumstances and look forward to welcoming you back with open arms soon.

Stay safe

All at Fenwick

·
Registered
25,433 Posts

Every Parkrun in UK is cancelled for the rest of the month due to coronavirus outbreak

National organisers of Parkrun have announced all 5k events throughout the country will be cancelled until the end of the month at least due to the coronavirus crisis.
Every Parkrun in the North East, and the rest of the country, will be cancelled until the end of March – although it is likely this will be extended.

https://www.sunderlandecho.com/health/coronavirus/every-parkrun-uk-cancelled-rest-month-due-coronavirus-outbreak-2482529

·
Registered
71 Posts
No more Starbucks, Costa and other coffee shops

PM has ordered they close as from this evening.

Starbucks has some drive thrus. So will they go like McDonalds drive thrus only, or has the PM ordered these to shut down?

·
Registered
47 Posts
No more Starbucks, Costa and other coffee shops

PM has ordered they close as from this evening.

Starbucks has some drive thrus. So will they go like McDonalds drive thrus only, or has the PM ordered these to shut down?
Takeaway was mentioned as fine. A lot of restaurants in my local area are now heavily promoting their brand new take away and delivery service. I wish them all the best.

·
Registered
25,433 Posts

Coronavirus: Hays Travel confirms 880 workers have been reduced to zero working hours with further cuts for all others

Hays Travel has confirmed 880 of its workers have had their working hours axed to zero, while all others have been cut by half for a month as it works to overcome the “devastating” consequences of the coronavirus pandemic.

Read more https://www.sunderlandecho.com/health/coronavirus/coronavirus-hays-travel-confirms-880-workers-have-been-reduced-zero-working-hours-further-cuts-all-others-2503984

1 - 20 of 85 Posts