SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With flights being suspended now due to the COVID-19 outbreak, I reckon it's a good idea to keep this centralized in its own thread. (Mike, feel free to merge into the general aviation thread if you disagree with me!)

I'm ignoring SAX suspending operations, since that's down to poor business management than anything else.

So far, I'm aware of the following:

Qantas

Sydney – Johannesburg 25MAR20 – 31MAY20 6 weekly cancelled

Qatar Airways

Doha – Cape Town
23MAR20 – 31MAR20 Reduce from 10 to 7 weekly
eff 03JUN20 QR1371/1372 A350-900XWB replaces 787-8, 3 weekly, overall 7 weekly A350-1000XWB and 3 weekly -900XWB

Doha – Johannesburg 16MAR20 – 31MAR20 Reduce from 2 to 1 daily

Doha – Johannesburg – Durban 22MAR20 – 01APR20 4 weekly cancelled

·
Explore
2,840 Posts
Here's some others

Air Mauritius

Mauritius - Cape Town 17MAR20 - Cancelled
Mauritius - Durban 18MAR20 - Cancelled
Mauritius - Johannesburg 23MAR20 - Cancelled

Alitalia

Rome - Johannesburg 18MAR20 - Reduced to 1 weekly

Saudia

Jeddah - Johannesburg 15MAR20 - Cancelled

BA Comair

Johannesburg - Mauritius 19MAR20 - Cancelled

Delta

Atlanta - Johannesburg 22MAR20 - Cancelled

·
22,425 Posts
Expect loads more. I have spent the last few days cancelling, retiming or claiming insurance for tons of flights and can't see normality returning for many months

·
Explore
2,840 Posts
Yeah it's almost impossible to keep up.
SAA has cancelled all intercontinental routes until 31 May.
Rwandair cancelled all routes for 30 day including JNB and CPT

·
BOFH Extraordinaire
3,891 Posts
Pretty much everything will be cancelled soon.
Agreed...

I am working off memory and its faulty at the moment to some degree.. I do wonder about the landing space for all the planes that are in the process of being grounded with nowhere to fly to...

·
Registered
728 Posts
Agreed...

I am working off memory and its faulty at the moment to some degree.. I do wonder about the landing space for all the planes that are in the process of being grounded with nowhere to fly to...
It depends where in the world, but they will have to use secondary airports in some places, but there is plenty of space.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Not exactly cancellations but various international flights into OR Tambo from high risk areas (as defined by SA) are now being turned around in isolation areas and foreign nationals not allowed to disembark (https://www.iol.co.za/the-star/news/go-back-or-tambo-grounds-14-flights-from-high-risk-coronavirus-countries-45272816).

I assume that most of those affected airlines, once any pent up traffic from foreigners wanting to get out of SA and SA citizens wanting to get back home has been satisfied, will be cancelling their SA routes.

I bought my flight back to the U.K. forward to this Monday, flying out of Cape Town with Emirates via DXB. It’s a tense few days for me hoping that flight doesn’t get cancelled between now & departure. What a mess the world is in right now.

- Julian

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ok so my memory in relation to 9/11 is definitely faulty then.. Shot :cheers:
9/11 was a different beast. First plane hit the WTC at 8:46am. US airspace was closed at 9:45am. All aircraft were ordered to land at nearest airport immediately, and all aircraft that were en route to the US and not yet in US airspace were rejected entry.

So the problem was that aircraft were all in the wrong places and not necessarily the ideal place to be. For example, transatlantic traffic en route to the NE USA ended up having to divert eastern Canadian airports including Gander and Halifax and they got very crowded, very quickly.

In this case, airlines are able to plan it a little more and they'll have plenty of place. They'll have to move aircraft away from hubs to smaller airports.

·
Registered
4,815 Posts
I was in the waterfront at Willoughby's Wednesday evening. Possibly the most successful, oversubscribed spot in the waterfront, always having to queue to get in.
It was me - and two others!
Most waterfront establishments will not survive for two months without tourists. The rentals are amongst the highest in the country. Think those high-end boutiques selling designer African handbags and such...

Obviously the Waterfront is a tiny sample of what is happening everywhere, and the impact on the world economy is going to be unprecedented.
The narrative is all about the virus itself, but I feel we are creating a monster with our (over?)reaction to this virus - ie Massive unrest and social upheaval due to catastrophic job losses and business closures.
Thoughts?

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
Local airlines have started scaling back schedules, looks like they're not doing it on long-term, but up to a week in advance, for now.
For next week my rough guess is that domestic flights over all is about 50% less in frequency.
Besides SAX already parked, SAA will be parking nearly all (remaining) aircraft, just doing some JNB-CPT. FlySafair, Mango, Kulula and Comair all nearly halving (and some routes more than halving) frequencies.
Airlink also operating less than half of normal schedule, and basically all with ERJ135/140s...very little E170/E190 in use...which brings capacity even more down.
Will they all park at JNB, is there enough space?

·
Registered
728 Posts
Upington immediately comes to mind...
No. Most of the fleet in SA could be parked at JNB. Overflow if necessary will go to DUR or CPT. Unless we're talking long term storage they would prefer to park aircraft where they have line maintenance facilities.

Edit: The reason why I say JNB has plenty of space is that a lot of space taken out on D apron by widebodies will be vacant and each stand can take two narrowbodies. D and F apron alone can take about 50 narrobodies. Then add the old crosswind runway and SAAT where almost all SAA aircraft will go. This is even before taking extraordinary measures like using taxiways. So I doubt there will be too many problems.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts