SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
19,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The State has tightened stay-at-home restrictions, halting work statewide on "non-essential" construction. This includes office and luxury residential projects, but not affordable ones.

9. Construction

• All non-essential construction must shut down except emergency construction, (e.g. a project necessary to protect health and safety of the occupants, or to continue a project if it would be unsafe to allow to remain undone until it is safe to shut the site).
  • Essential construction may continue and includes roads, bridges, transit facilities, utilities, hospitals or health care facilities, affordable housing, and homeless shelters. At every site, if essential or emergency non-essential construction, this includes maintaining social distance, including for purposes of elevators/meals/entry and exit. Sites that cannot maintain distance and safety best practices must close and enforcement will be provided by the state in coordination with the city/local governments. This will include fines of up to $10,000 per violation.
  • For purposes of this section construction work does not include a single worker, who is the sole employee/worker on a job site.

·
19,523 Posts

·
Registered
12,833 Posts
I spend lots of time watching 'ActionKid' YouTubes all across the New York, I highly recomend you look him up ! Manhattan and surrounding boroughs. All of it fantastic. they fill in so many places I couldn't see on the visits I am lucky enough to have spent during US and world holidays.
What surprises me is the change from boarded up 5th Avenue with guards and dogs to seeing the Rockefeller Plaza pumping with early morning TV music and enthusiastic mass crowd. Sure, it looks way better after all the world is going through at present but are you sure it's safe ? Covid-19 seems pretty contagious ?
We had started to relax rules here and numbers jumped so we have been screwed down again...that was with 41 new cases yesterday...in a city of 5 million (Melbourne).
I hope it all resolves but the numbers I see rising in many places in the US make me fear another spike and longer overall constraints ?

Reactions: Hudson11

·
19,523 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sar-cov-2 is apparently is less contagious during the day and outside, so it should be fine. Mask wearing is near universal in the city, so the asymtomatic individuals are communicating the virus far less than at the initial outbreak. NYC weathered the initial outbreak so any ensuing spikes in the country will not likely affect NYC as much as the places whose populations were quarantined and therefore not exposed. That is assuming there won't be an effective vaccine by next year.
There was a concerning amount of hysteria over the virus, but what it comes down to is doing your best to socially distance, thoroughly washing your hands and keeping them away from your face. Its respiratory droplets which are the vehicle for infection, and they get in primarily through the nose and mouth. Masks and gloves aren't really necessary for the uninfected (common masks don't seal off your mouth and nose or effectively filter out smaller particles/droplets) but they are a good precaution against stubborn/ignorant people who are symptomatic and dont want to accept that they might have the virus. The masks may not prevent infection, but what they do accomplish is mitigate the projection of respiratory droplets, thus cutting infection rates.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts