SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I had already heard some rumours about this event but I didn't have a clear image in my mind, until I read an article in a newspaper about this upcoming event: From mid May until the end of August, some 80 plastic sculptures of cows, replicating three main sculpture variations but painted by different artists would be spread all over central Athens in the form of an open artistic happening...

Truth is that I first came face to face with the bovine invasion in Kolonaki square last Wednesday morning, 18 May, when I went to the British council to get a translation of my postgrad degree from the UK. The ruminant animals were standing or lying in the middle of the square unaware of the flocking tourists and locals looking at them in the middle of the classy square (Kolonaki is a very classy area in the middle of downtown Athens).

Later I found out that this event has been duly advertised in the media but I didn't pay that much attention until I found out that it has already been out in 30 cities worldwide, starting from Geneva in 1998.

So, enjoy Athens at the mercy of the ruminants as the colourful plastic cattle attracts the unsuspecting Athenians under the spring Athenian skies. I have also included a couple of bonus pictures depicting a more generic view of the area to see some additional parts of the city (I am talking about the visitors) that you may have not seen before.

So Where'z'da beef? Here it is!!!

-Kolonaki square pictures where the cows mock the classy and rich character of the place...

A more generic view due west, of the Kolonaki square, depicting part of the beautiful building architecture and the cows...

Kolonaki Square cows cont'd

...and a bonus picture of the Giorgio Armani building in Kolonaki square. It remands me very much the architecture in Nisantasi, Istanbul...

OK, now we move to the "Panepistimio' (University) metro station. This is in the heart of the city opposite the famous "Athenian Neoclassical Trilogy" consisting of the buildings of the National Library, the Univercity (now hosting just the ceremonial halls and the offices of the deans) and the Academy of Athens.

This is Korais street opposite the trilogy, looking south towards Stadiou street. The characteristic glass pyramidoidal atrium of the metro station underneath with the cows gives us a rather surreal impression. The ruminants are totally unaware of the aesthetic turmoil their presence creates in the area.

OK, here Salvador Dali would kneel down in adoration of the twisted and surreal character of the image. A crowned mutant frog-cow waiting to be kissed to turn to a beautiful young prince!!! Alas, I don't think that kissing this green thing would reveal the One for the desperate ladies kissing him ( ? ). Well, observe the neo-classical building of the University Faculty offices and the similarity between the shape of the pyramid and the Lycabettus Hill in the background!!! All in one for you... :)

And now the sacrilege!!! One bovine on the holy grounds of the National Library.

Look at the poor scholar and how he suspiciously looks at the animal, probably in fear that the sizeable ruminant may ram the pedestal he so peacefully stood on for decades and decades...

-Curius people constantly surround the animals in the National Library's grounds with inquisitive looks...

-The invasion of the bovines continue, this time on the wide spaces of the Eleftherias (Freedom) National Park where the statue of Eleftherios Venizelos, one of our national leaders and reformers is located... In the following picture, a general view of the place, depicting the Athens Concert Hall (the Megaron as it is called...) which is the big white building. The 6-lane boulevard is one of the most central Athenian avenues, Queen Sophia Avenue (Vasilissis Sophias Avenue)

The National leader sharing its space with the skulptures...

-Cows in various designs...

-Queen Sophia Avenue and the 14-storey Athens Hilton in the background...

-I hadn't realised that the "house" here is a paper milk bottle!!!... Jeez, this is weird :eek:

-I mean, look:

-Happy mammals lying on the grass...

-The Fractal Cow!!! (I don't know what drugs this artist was on, but I'd like a taste!!! Maybe listening to too much Pink Floyd in his youth while styudying non-linear and chaos mathematics!!! In any case- Weird!!! ) :weirdo: :runaway:

-Only a sick mind could come down with something like this:

And last but not least, the cow in front of the departures level in the Athens airport main terminal. Now this is a scary last image for travellers to see as they fly out of the country... I mann, jeezzzz....

and a bonus partial picture of the Athens International Airport main terminal... :)

Well, we should thank God that they did not create any exhibition with dinosaurs.... but then again, who knows?

Like I said. Salvador Dali would like Athens these days...

·
Registered
985 Posts
Υπέροχες φωτογραφίες gm !!! Τα χρώματα είναι τόσο έντονα!! Συγχαρητήρια και πάλι!!! :cheers:

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,226 Posts
GM!!!!!

You outdid yourself my friend!

I have said this before and I will say it again:

There is nothing better than springtime in Athens. Clear blue skies, warm waether but not too hot, flowers, and trees before they dry out from the summer heat!

Look how clean the city is! Each time I see pics of Athens I see more and more restored buildings of the past with bright paint! It is simply magnificent.

Thank you GM! I think I am the one who will have the heart attack this time! :cheers:

p.s. they did the same thing in Toronto a while back but they used the moose instead. A few of them are permanent and can be seen throughout downtown.

Example:

·
Registered
1,659 Posts
interesting... but i wouldnt like any of them to be permanent......

·
Registered
6,191 Posts
sk said:
interesting... but i wouldnt like any of them to be permanent......
I second that.

·
Toronto and Athens
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
5,226 Posts
I alao agree about leaving them permamently. It shouldn't be done. The novelty wears out after a while. In Toronto I think they only left two or three permanently and those are the ones that are at very "touristic" places.

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I agree with you guys. Also, I would be sceptical to see them in front of the neoclassical trilogy which is one of Europe's best architectural spots. On the other hand, it presents a light note that brings a smile to many people's faces, and that's the main reason I like the whole event. But it's not for ever, no.

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Για κοίτα τι θυμήθηκα ο αλλοπαρμένος... άλλες εποχές...

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Tις θυμάμαι και γω. Ωραίες ήταν. Κάθε χρόνο θυμάμαι, ειχαν πει πως θα είχε και διαφορετικά ΖΩΑ.

·
Registered
646 Posts
Αυτή τη στιγμή βρίσκονται στο Βελιγράδι...Προσωπικά δεν μου λένε τίποτα, άλλα μ' εκπλήσσει ο ενθουσιασμός του κόσμου (όπως συνέβη ως ένα βαθμό και στην Αθήνα). Αυτή η αλλαγή διάθεσης μέσα σε λίγα χρόνια είναι ενδιαφέρουσα και αξίζει να δούμε αν πόλεις όπως το Βελιγράδι που παρουσιάζουν έναν δυναμισμό όπως η μετα-ολυμπιακή Αθήνα άλλα ταυτόχρονα έχει δομικά πολιτικοοικονομικά προβλήματα και φαταλιστές κατοίκους με ροπή προς το λαϊκισμό θα ακολουθήσει το αθηναϊκό παράδειγμα...

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,069 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Μα αυτό ακριβώς ήθελα να αναδείξω που έβγαλα τούτο το thread στην επιφάνεια: Το πόσο διαφορετικός ήταν ο ψυχισμός τότε... Μόλις 6 χρόνια πριν... :eek:hno:

·
Registered
686 Posts
Δεν νομίζω ότι το αθηναϊκό παράδειγμα είναι μεμονωμένο, συμβαίνει αυτό στην πορεία των πόλεων, των Κρατών και των λαών. Μια κατάσταση κατάθλιψης διαδέχεται μια κατάσταση ευφορίας. Θυμάμαι πριν 20 χρόνια, στην Ιταλία τότε, την ευφορία ενόψει του Παγκοσμίου Κυπέλλου Ποδοσφαίρου, το 1990, του πρώτου μεγάλου γεγονότος μετά τους Ολυμπιακούς του 1960 στη Ρώμη, και όλοι ήταν σίγουροι όταν τα πράγματα θα πάνε μόνο καλά από τότε και πέρα - είχε πέσει και ο Τοίχος μόλις 6 μήνες πριν, οπότε.... Έλα όμως που μόλις 8 με 12 μήνες μετά ήρθαν η θύελλα των "καθαρών χεριών", η διάλυση του πολιτικού συστήματος, οι βόμβες στα μουσεία, οι 20 νεκροί και οι δεκάδες τραυματίες από τρομοκρατικές επιθέσεις με στόχο την αποσταθεροποίηση της δημοκρατίας, και επίσης η χρεοκοπία της οικονομίας, η έξοδος της λιρέτας από το τότε ευρωπαϊκό σύστημα ισοτιμιών, η υποβάθμισή της, η αναδρομική επιβολή φόρου επί όλων των τραπεζικών λογαριασμών της τάξης των 5 τοις χίλιοις για να ικανοποιηθούν οι δανειστές, οι απεργίες και η τεταμένη ατμόσφαιρα παντού, με τους αγανακτισμένους στους δρόμους να ρίχνουν νομίσματα στους πολιτικούς και να τους καθυβρίζουν, κάποιοι εκ των οποίων είτε αυτοκτόνησαν είτε έφυγαν στο εξωτερικό για να σωθούν, και το τελικό αποτέλεσμα βέβαια, η έλευση του Μπερλουσκόνι στα πράγματα και η έναρξη μιας περιόδου που κρατάει ακόμα και σήμερα. Το σήμερα μου θυμίζει έντονα το χθες, σε άλλη χώρα και σε άλλη οικονομική συνθήκη βέβαια, και οι αγελάδες του Γρηγόρη (ευχαριστούμε πολύ αλήθεια) ενεργοποίησαν τη μνήμη μου, και ταυτόχρονα επιβεβαιώνουν ότι "έχει ο καιρός γυρίσματα", οπότε περιμένω με αγωνία τις όμορφες μέρες που σίγουρα θα έρθουν, και οι οποίες θα είναι πιο όμορφες από τις όμορφες που ζήσαμε.

·
289,386 Posts
Να ΄σαι καλά βρε Γρηγόρη που θυμηθήκαμε περί της Cow Parade στην Αθήνα. Τα πιο πολλά εκθέματα (αγγελάδες) τις θυμάμαι.
Μάλιστα είχα φωτογραφίσει και μία ακόμα που δεν την βλέπω στις φωτογραφίες σου...
Η "spider-cow" στο κτήριο της Εθνικής Ασφαλιστικής στη Συγγρού

(δική μου φωτογραφία) :)

·
Registered Thinker
5,427 Posts
^^:lol: Χαχαχα...πολύ ωραία η spider cow. Όντως βρε παιδιά, αυτή η διαφορά στην ψυχολογία είναι τρομερή....

·
Registered
5,734 Posts
Για κοίτα τι θυμήθηκα ο αλλοπαρμένος... άλλες εποχές...
αναρωτιέμαι πως το θυμήθηκες... σε ενέπνευσε ένα άλλο parade..??

χεχε :D

Μα αυτό ακριβώς ήθελα να αναδείξω που έβγαλα τούτο το thread στην επιφάνεια: Το πόσο διαφορετικός ήταν ο ψυχισμός τότε... Μόλις 6 χρόνια πριν... :eek:hno:
Ντόρα btw

1 - 20 of 25 Posts