SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Also Ava;ilable in the Greek architecture section: Click here ---> http://skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?p=8513918#post8513918 to access

I had already heard some rumours about this event but I didn't have a clear image in my mind, until I read an article in a newspaper about this upcoming event: From mid May until the end of August, some 80 plastic sculptures of cows, replicating three main sculpture variations but painted by different artists would be spread all over central Athens in the form of an open artistic happening...

Truth is that I first came face to face with the bovine invasion in Kolonaki square last Wednesday morning, 18 May, when I went to the British council to get a translation of my postgrad degree from the UK. The ruminant animals were standing or lying in the middle of the square unaware of the flocking tourists and locals looking at them in the middle of the classy square (Kolonaki is a very classy area in the middle of downtown Athens).

Later I found out that this event has been duly advertised in the media but I didn't pay that much attention until I found out that it has already been out in 30 cities worldwide, starting from Geneva in 1998.

So, enjoy Athens at the mercy of the ruminants as the colourful plastic cattle attracts the unsuspecting Athenians under the spring Athenian skies. I have also included a couple of bonus pictures depicting a more generic view of the area to see some additional parts of the city (I am talking about the visitors) that you may have not seen before.

So Where'z'da beef? Here it is!!!

-Kolonaki square pictures where the cows mock the classy and rich character of the place...

A more generic view due west, of the Kolonaki square, depicting part of the beautiful building architecture and the cows...

Kolonaki Square cows cont'd

...and a bonus picture of the Giorgio Armani building in Kolonaki square. It remands me very much the architecture in Nisantasi, Istanbul...

OK, now we move to the "Panepistimio' (University) metro station. This is in the heart of the city opposite the famous "Athenian Neoclassical Trilogy" consisting of the buildings of the National Library, the Univercity (now hosting just the ceremonial halls and the offices of the deans) and the Academy of Athens.

This is Korais street opposite the trilogy, looking south towards Stadiou street. The characteristic glass pyramidoidal atrium of the metro station underneath with the cows gives us a rather surreal impression. The ruminants are totally unaware of the aesthetic turmoil their presence creates in the area.

OK, here Salvador Dali would kneel down in adoration of the twisted and surreal character of the image. A crowned mutant frog-cow waiting to be kissed to turn to a beautiful young prince!!! Alas, I don't think that kissing this green thing would reveal the One for the desperate ladies kissing him ( ? ). Well, observe the neo-classical building of the University Faculty offices and the similarity between the shape of the pyramid and the Lycabettus Hill in the background!!! All in one for you... :)

And now the sacrilege!!! One bovine on the holy grounds of the National Library.

Look at the poor scholar and how he suspiciously looks at the animal, probably in fear that the sizeable ruminant may ram the pedestal he so peacefully stood on for decades and decades...

-Curius people constantly surround the animals in the National Library's grounds with inquisitive looks...

-The invasion of the bovines continue, this time on the wide spaces of the Eleftherias (Freedom) National Park where the statue of Eleftherios Venizelos, one of our national leaders and reformers is located... In the following picture, a general view of the place, depicting the Athens Concert Hall (the Megaron as it is called...) which is the big white building. The 6-lane boulevard is one of the most central Athenian avenues, Queen Sophia Avenue (Vasilissis Sophias Avenue)

The National leader sharing its space with the skulptures...

-Cows in various designs...

-Queen Sophia Avenue and the 14-storey Athens Hilton in the background...

-I hadn't realised that the "house" here is a paper milk bottle!!!... Jeez, this is weird :eek:

-I mean, look:

-Happy mammals lying on the grass...

-The Fractal Cow!!! (I don't know what drugs this artist was on, but I'd like a taste!!! Maybe listening to too much Pink Floyd in his youth while styudying non-linear and chaos mathematics!!! In any case- Weird!!! ) :weirdo: :runaway:

-Only a sick mind could come down with something like this:

And last but not least, the cow in front of the departures level in the Athens airport main terminal. Now this is a scary last image for travellers to see as they fly out of the country... I mann, jeezzzz....

and a bonus partial picture of the Athens International Airport main terminal... :)

Well, we should thank God that they did not create any exhibition with dinosaurs.... but then again, who knows?

Like I said. Salvador Dali would like Athens these days...

·
Banned
2,505 Posts
I could swear I've seen these cows in Paris and I wished they were in Istanbul but now Athens has them :D

·
A drunk
100 Posts
very nice :) there was the horse version of this in Vienna when i was there, its always fun to stumble upon one of them while walking in the city and try to take pictures of all the ones you see..

·
Resurrected
24,367 Posts
Beautiful pictures! We had in the 1980s the Lions in Zurich - the symbol animal of the city. In the 1990s they made it again with cows (worldwide success since then - Chicago took the idea over and now all major cities have them as it seems), 2 years later it was benches and last summer Teddy Bears. But unfortunatly the vandalism was so big, that the city won't make anything like that anymore for the next years :(

·
spaghetti polonaise
2,532 Posts
These kind of sculptures seem to appear in many cities.

Hamburg: Hans Hummel-statues (he was a water carrier in the 19th century during the cholera epidemic)

Berlin: the Berliner Bär (the symbol of the city)

Even a small town somewhere in southern Germany has their own lion-sculptures now!

·
The Jedi Will Rise Again
13,075 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the comments and the additions guys. Truth is a city becomes more vibrant with these events. They will be there until the end of August and after that, they will be auctioned. I hope if I go around Athens this week, to make some more additions to this thread too.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts