SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
ビール大好き&#
599 Posts
Unfortunately not. :bash:

The fucking arrogance of him.
Seriously, the whole "for the good of the nation" bullshit. the good of the nation would involve him and the rest of FF being marched over to a convenient pier to be thrown off.

The small protest that got past the gates at gov house today should have been thousands larger. Now things may have changed over the last week, but I'm sick of people saying things are "grand" in spite of reality... the usual refrain is, "oh yeah, the economy is fucked, we're up shit creek, but other than that it's ok." The complacency of people is what gets me, but doesn't really surprise me.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Has there been any suggestion that the Government could resign without dissolving the Dáil? Let Fine Gael and Labour form a coalition by the end of the week, go halves on a quickie budget which would hopefully be helped through by the Greens and Fianna Fáil "for the good of the nation" and all ;) Then have an election in January, where a longer term program for government can be decided based on the proportion of votes Labour and Fine Gael get :)

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
Has there been any suggestion that the Government could resign without dissolving the Dáil? Let Fine Gael and Labour form a coalition by the end of the week, go halves on a quickie budget which would hopefully be helped through by the Greens and Fianna Fáil "for the good of the nation" and all ;) Then have an election in January, where a longer term program for government can be decided based on the proportion of votes Labour and Fine Gael get :)
That would be a disaster for Fine Gael and Labour, and there's little chance of them doing it.

Fianna Fáil and the Greens, under Cowen, have chosen to "stick it out" - let them do it themselves and face the electoral consequences.

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
How so? :?
They'd be the ones who "pushed through the worst budget in living memory" (which Fianna Fáil will try to use to their own advantage) and their own share of the vote would easily suffer as a result, even though the budget is desperately needed and has to be harsh whether we like it or not.

·
Registered
42 Posts
They'd be the ones who "pushed through the worst budget in living memory" (which Fianna Fáil will try to use to their own advantage) and their own share of the vote would easily suffer as a result, even though the budget is desperately needed and has to be harsh whether we like it or not.
They're already calling for an election before the budget, there's even someone on Prime Time now saying saying Fine Gail might abstain from the budget vote and let it get through. I think things are actually that bad, that for once in our history petty party politics might be pushed aside by some people. Regardless of who got the budget through, it would be a budget based of Fianna Fáil's handling of the economy and their vote will be completely crushed. SO in that respect, I don't really agree with what you aid =/

·
Registered
498 Posts
The stress that this whole situation is causing to ordinary people is horrendous. **** those through and through who caused this sorry mess. We need a complete list of every person who played a major part in this crisis to be published now ( we know a few of these already). Try the politicians and others for negligence and jail those who were directly responsible and take away their pensions. Does anyone else feel as sick as me to see that many of the bankers and developers have moved abroad to carry on their plush lifestyles there after the mess they caused here? Lying on a beach somewhere while the country falls apart at the seams. How do you feel?

·
Administrator
34,872 Posts
what shocks me the most is rather than introduce property taxes that take into account the value of the property (like the UK although ours is flawed as it has a ceiling) the irish are getting a poll tax. a poll tax? FFS!!!

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
They're already calling for an election before the budget, there's even someone on Prime Time now saying saying Fine Gail might abstain from the budget vote and let it get through. I think things are actually that bad, that for once in our history petty party politics might be pushed aside by some people. Regardless of who got the budget through, it would be a budget based of Fianna Fáil's handling of the economy and their vote will be completely crushed. SO in that respect, I don't really agree with what you aid =/
Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see what you're suggesting happen. I guess I'm just more cynical/pessimistic when it comes to the Irish political system. :lol:

·
Registered
3,853 Posts
what shocks me the most is rather than introduce property taxes that take into account the value of the property (like the UK although ours is flawed as it has a ceiling) the irish are getting a poll tax. a poll tax? FFS!!!
I think it's going to start out at a flat €100 per property and eventually be adjusted over time to represent the value of the property, rising to a maximum of €200 by the end of 2014.

That's the plan anyway.

·
Administrator
34,872 Posts
they will??? seems to me like another "squeeze the poor to tax the rich policy" from fianna fail.

The interim measure will involve a fixed local service charge contribution of around €100 per annum. That charge will rise to an average of just over €200 per dwelling in 2013.

·
Registered
3,369 Posts
I don't fully understand the Irish tax systems but its hard to believe that there has been no municipal/local type taxes for homes since 1977. Income tax at 40% for the higher level does not seem particularly high either to compensate for there being no local taxes, and this tax level does not appear to be rising, simply that tax thresholds are being lowered to enable considerably more lower income people to contribute more. Even 200 euros/household/yr for a "fixed local charge" seems to be a joke by international standards, and is certainly wonderful for those with valuable properties. Well its sad to say that the rich and the corporations can only be laughing, though no doubt doing so with great discretion.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts