SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Crane Count

392695 Views 2403 Replies 250 Participants Last post by  guys in the office
I've listed everything I can remember, arranged roughly by area.

Southern City Centre
Beetham - 2
River City and surrounding projects - 4
St Georges - 3
Vie - 3
GN Tower - 2
Eagle Star House - 2
University Car Park Cambridge St - 2
MRI Superhospital - 5
Aurora - 1

Western City Centre/Greengate
CJC - 3
Spinningfields NCP - 1
Tempus - 1
Spectrum - 2
red ones near Spectrum - 2
John Rylands Library - 1
GMEN - 1
Rosetti Phase Two - 1

Northern City Centre/Piccadilly
Skyline Central - 3
Site next to Skyline Central - 2
Royal Mills/surrounds - 3
Piccadilly Place - 4
Green Quarter - 1
Issa Quay - 1
Piccadilly Car Park - 1
IVLA? - 1
Next to Ovale - 1

Salford Quays
Old Trafford - 2
NV Towers - 1
Citylofts - 2

This gives us 49 in town and 56 including the quays. Phenomenal.

A few more than this I'm sure, what are they people?

Ones to expect soon:

3 & 4 Hardman Square
Chancery Place
Probably a new Green Quarter one for Jefferson Place
Erie Basin Tower
40 Spring Gardens
More at spectrum
Sarah Tower perhaps
Abito
Pall Mall
1 - 20 of 48 Posts
Currently a second scarlet protuberance appears to be in the process of being erected at Potato Wharf. Somewhat bigger than the first one too.
You do wonder why you bother sometimes.
Yes!!! I know where that crane is or where it was going. In the Castle Field Area towards the Salford Side of the Metrolink tracks where that big bridge is before Gmex/Deansgate Station, well its right next to the railway line to Salford/Bolton and there is a site where a pink crane is already up and I saw them putting a 2nd pink crane up on the way back from Bolton at about 3.30pm and most of it was up by then. I don't have the road names or anything but its in that area.
Check out page 1 of this thread - Spinningfields, Salford Quays, MRI and Chapel Street seem to be the big ones.
I must be getting old and developing significant memory loss but I just cant remember what all those cranes ten/eleven years ago were for, compared to all the activity we have going on right now! What have we got to show for them 65 cranes in 2005 again? (Beetham aside :p)

A little colour coded panorama from Spinningfields Bridge. From left: Red: Trinity, White: Exchange Court, Green: Chapel Wharf, Blue: Riverview & Riverside, White: Hotel Indigo.

Mad, and Exchange Court will be a visible landmark from here when complete.
BBC Breakfast running this this morning; rooftop views of the cranes in Manchester and interviewing a chap from Deloitte.
Reactions: battenfobs
TBF they were covering all regional cities, not just Manchester. They did have an interview with Ian Simpson which was much better.
Seemed a really poor report, with few good shots, and when I saw it no mention of projects like Owen Street!
I just took a look and nothing has changed since last week sadly. I do hope they get that development moving again.
No, just the base
Reactions: LM93
Second crane up and operating at the MMU building. Sorry no photo.
Reactions: battenfobs and VDB
I think Circle Square will drag us over the line!
Reactions: VDB and 086756
I think one might be coming down at Local Blackfriars but it was too murky to tell.
Second crane going up at Cornbrook this afternoon.
This was a false alarm, still 2 cranes. In my defence there is a big temporary crane on site doing something constructive.
I think one might be coming down at Local Blackfriars but it was too murky to tell.
Definitely a second going up at Elizabeth Tower.
Reactions: MatthewDalrymple
1 - 20 of 48 Posts