SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 192 Posts

· Registered
28,495 Posts
TBH it makes me sick to see all the cranes and construction work taking place in London ATM and in the furure. Every other city in the Uk is f***ed construction wise. Yet investment and money is once again pouring into London, while the rest of the country and provincial cities are on their arse.
Pisses me off even more so when you think it was mainly London bankers who fucked us all as well. London causes it, London does well out of it..

· Registered
28,495 Posts
Sorry if you're getting sick and tired of my maps, but I've done another one regarding future crane count in Manchester. As in, by this time next year, how many cranes will be on the Manchester skyline? I've compiled a list of construction projects, guessed at how many cranes they might require, added them up and made a map of where they'll appear. See below.

https://maps.google.co.uk/maps/ms?m...&ll=53.477933,-2.247219&spn=0.059764,0.154324

Here's the list. Projects in blue are ones currently under construction, the ones in red are ones which are due to start in the next year.

Number One St Peter's Square - 1 crane currently standing, another one due soon; 2 in total.
Sillivan Way, Salford - 1 crane currently standing, I reckon this project will require 3 in total
Derwent St Ordsall - 1 crane currently
Victoria Station - 2 cranes?? Work starts January.
First St North - expect 3 or more cranes for this masterplan. Starts January
Block E3 Residential, Chapel Street. Possibly one crane however there may not be any at all.
Gary Neville Hotel, Old Trafford - 1 crane probably
I+Spinningfields Office Block - 1, maybe 2 cranes when construction starts next year
Motel One, Piccadilly - 2 cranes probably. Construction starts in January
Birley Fields Hulme - again, expect 3 or more cranes for this masterplan
Indigo Hotel, Victoria - 1 crane
Northern Quarter Puzzlebox Apartments - 1 crane probably

All in all, discounting the Derwent St crane because construction will have finished there; I predict (feel free to prove me wrong of course) that they'll be 20 cranes on Manchester's skyline next year. Bear in mind, we currently have 3.

20 cranes! :banana: Optimism!

· Registered
28,495 Posts
Optimistic, won't be as congested as the 2005 photos as you have will have cranes spread over GM as opposed to the city centre (i.e. Spinningfields, Arndale, Beetham Tower etc.) Also, add 1 or 2 for River Street Tower if it gets the go-ahead as we are led to believe that the developers have honest intentions.
Quite, the picture was merely for imagination's sake. But in that shot there we should have about 5? Nethertheless, 20 cranes, up from just 3 at the moment, is something to shout out about.

Regarding River St, I've only added in the construction sites which have either been approved, (definitely going to get built) or currently U/C. River St is only proposed, although it goes in for consultation next week, where (as you say) we can be pretty sure it'll gain approval.
Just want to add to this actually, JS100 :)

As well as having the River St Tower, we could potentially also have other currently 'proposed' (but quite likely to be approved projects) such as:-

- Exchange Quay/Ordsall 'Twin Towers' (3+ cranes)
- New Bailey Office Block/Salford Spinningfields extension (2 cranes)
- Salford University Developments (depends on how many buildings)
- Other Manchester University Developments (see above)
- The Etihad Stadium/Aniline Site (see above)

· Registered
28,495 Posts
March 2013 update

4 cranes at Birley Fields, Hulme (tower crane was being erected on Friday)
2 cranes at 1 St Peter's Square
1 crane at Sillivan Way
1 crane at Derwent St, Ordsall
1 crane at the New Islington Free School
2 cranes at Etihad Campus
1 crane at Travelodge, Piccadilly Gardens

12 in total across central Manchester

Have I missed any?

Look here for things that're currently under construction/approved/proposed.

I would expect to start seeing cranes on the following sites that have very recently started construction or will be starting soon;

- Citylabs Oxford Road
- First St (expect 3+ here)
- Hotel la Tour, Salford
- Gary Neville's Hotel in Old Trafford
- Motel One Piccadilly
- New Islington Milliner's Wharf Phase 2

:)

· Registered
28,495 Posts
29th May 2013

Whitworth Art Gallery - 1
St Peter's Square - 2
Birley Fields Hulme - 4
Eastlands Etihad - 2
Citilabs - 1
Travelodge Piccadilly Gardens - 1

... and now Sillivan Way Salford has gained another crane (+1) and there was one going up at One Smithfield Square in the Northern Quarter (+1) too.

So that's 12 now

· Registered
28,495 Posts
Central Manchester Crane Count Graph

Sat outside this morning scanning through this thread since 2005 and picking up on the excellent regular updates on crane counts between 2005 and now; and been able to plot this graph, which is very telling of the recession in 2008 I think. You can see how it dips and how we are now (hopefully) recovering from it.

2005 saw 56 cranes, 2013 has so far seen 13 (and rising)

Will we ever see those levels again?

· Registered
28,495 Posts
Nice one Voldy.
Encouraging sign that things are picking up. Tower Crane Indices have been a well used indicator of economic health for years.

(er, without being too picky) check your scale as it appears to be out of flunther with the numbers. The peak seems to indicate around 63 instead of 56 - but then you are the optimistic type :)
Blame Google Drive for that :lol:

· Registered
28,495 Posts
Another crane has gone up at Birley Fields too - that makes 14 :)

Oh and here's a picture from Great Ancoats St - with the two cranes at St Peter's Square and the crane at Travelodge Piccadilly Gardens. (bear in mind there was also a crane over to my right which has been erected this week for One Smithfield Square :)

It stinks of 2005 in here! ;)

· Registered
28,495 Posts
June 2013

Okay so overall then;

One Smithfield Square NQ - 1
Travelodge Piccadilly - 1
Sillivan Way - 2
Etihad Eastlands Campus - 2
First St (HOME) - 1
1 St Peter's Square - 2
Citilabs - 1
Whitworth Art Gallery - 1
Birley Fields Hulme - 4

My prediction from last year was 20 by October (2013). Lets see how that pans out.

The next few cranes I expect to appear will be at;

- Nuovo Great Ancoats St (1)
- Lowry Wharf Salford (2)
- First St Melia Hotel and Vita (3)
- "Vimto" Chapel St (1)

· Registered
28,495 Posts
What scheme are the two near strangeways working on? Lot of recladding and new build flats in that area.
Sillavan Way

4 new resi blocks - 6 fl, 9fl, 10fl and 17fl

- The 6 floor block has completed
- The 10 floor block is U/C (crane#1)
- The 17 floor block is U/C (crane#2)
- The 9 floor block has yet to begin

· Registered
28,495 Posts
Not a proper update, but it's worth noting the number of temporary/mobile cranes that have suddenly appeared everywhere recently;

- 2 or more at Victoria Station
- 1 at Lowry Wharf in Salford
- 1 at X1 Salford Quays apartments
- 1 at Islington Wharf Mews
- 1 at The Point in New Islington
- 1 at Etihad Campus

Of course these cranes don't actually count on the Crane Count, but hey ho worth noting

Fully expecting permanent McAlpine cranes to appear at some of the above sites within the next few months

· Registered
28,495 Posts
August 2013 Crane Count

(pretty much)

Crane Count

- Number of cranes in red brackets.
- Cranes erected since last Count in bold

- Aniline Site | Eastlands City | (2 cranes)
- First Street | HOME | (1 crane)
- Number One St Peter's Square | (2 cranes)
- Sillivan Way Salford | (2 cranes)
- Citilabs University | (1 crane)
- Whitworth Art Gallery Extension | (1 crane)
- Birley Fields Hulme | (4 cranes)
- Northern Quarter Smithfield Square | (1 crane)
- Travelodge Piccadilly Gardens | (1 crane)
- First St | Vita (1 crane)
- Victoria Station (1 [mobile] crane)

The recovery continues. It has, however, been a slightly sluggish month - only 2 'permanent' cranes erected. However the development list is showing a very positive term for construction starts - with First St at the epicentre of all this. Manchester's only two proper cranes were erected here, with plenty more to come soon.

The next cranes will come from ...

- HOME (1 more crane)
- Melia Hotel (2)
- First St MSCP (1)
- Hotel la Tour (1)
- MBS Hotel (2)
- Motel One Hotel (1)

1 - 20 of 192 Posts