SkyscraperCity Forum banner

Crane Count

410369 Views 2445 Replies 254 Participants Last post by  ToastRack
I've listed everything I can remember, arranged roughly by area.

Southern City Centre
Beetham - 2
River City and surrounding projects - 4
St Georges - 3
Vie - 3
GN Tower - 2
Eagle Star House - 2
University Car Park Cambridge St - 2
MRI Superhospital - 5
Aurora - 1

Western City Centre/Greengate
CJC - 3
Spinningfields NCP - 1
Tempus - 1
Spectrum - 2
red ones near Spectrum - 2
John Rylands Library - 1
GMEN - 1
Rosetti Phase Two - 1

Northern City Centre/Piccadilly
Skyline Central - 3
Site next to Skyline Central - 2
Royal Mills/surrounds - 3
Piccadilly Place - 4
Green Quarter - 1
Issa Quay - 1
Piccadilly Car Park - 1
IVLA? - 1
Next to Ovale - 1

Salford Quays
Old Trafford - 2
NV Towers - 1
Citylofts - 2

This gives us 49 in town and 56 including the quays. Phenomenal.

A few more than this I'm sure, what are they people?

Ones to expect soon:

3 & 4 Hardman Square
Chancery Place
Probably a new Green Quarter one for Jefferson Place
Erie Basin Tower
40 Spring Gardens
More at spectrum
Sarah Tower perhaps
Abito
Pall Mall
See less See more
21 - 28 of 2446 Posts
I have nothing but total respect and admiration for those that do this kind of work. I would literally shit myself.
Do they do the job because they have no fear or do they learn the job and you do overcome the fear?

Having not spent any great time dangling from metal structures does anyone know?
With us bottoming out, it's not really anyone catching us. We have just the 4 150m+ towers underconstruction, it's all academic, we know the pipeline is better than all the regionals combined, so no doubt the crane totals will also come roaring back.

An analogy may be the airport, Brum/Leeds and Liverpool are within a few million passengers of Manchester's total, very close indeed. Is that reality or a strange quirk of timings and events.
Seems odd to have only 24 cranes but such a strong and visible construction scene and pipeline. I guess Covid did have an impact as every recession, whatever the nature, brings.
Possibly link to the Quays, as we have a fair amount of development along the canal these days, with more predicted?
Reactions: 3
Other cities have always included every crane in the region, only we got fussy...a crane is a crane in the regions and they are all welcomed in my count. As already stated the airport had c8-12? a couple of years ago and were not counted!
Reactions: 1
Sensatuonal stuff Super Speed Triple Rider, Trebles All-round.
  • Haha
Reactions: 2
Will we get back up to 80 any time soon?😏🙌🏼
Ordinarily yes, but with the oil price shock, affordability for homes is going to plummet and recession looms. Once again Manchester ends a cycle with a building boom whilst the entire rest of the UK has one 150m under construction.
Reactions: 2
I cannot believe those figures: NY with 10? Do they not count cranes built into the structure rather than tied alongside maybe?
21 - 28 of 2446 Posts