Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Visited Sydney for the first time ever a couple of weeks ago. And I gotta say I now love Sydney!, it's a beautiful city that I would love to go back to later this year.

Only brought the trusty iPhone, so apologies if some photos aren't 100% clear.

IMG_0369 by sc2100, on Flickr

Sydney Skyline by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0394 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0398 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0418 by sc2100, on Flickr

Sydney Density by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0523 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0315 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0419 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_1255 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_1253 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_1250 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0518 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0991 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0683 by sc2100, on Flickr

The Rocks by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0521 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0522 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0517 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0520 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0476 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0485 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0587 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0440 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0454 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0430 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0433 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0550 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0580 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0513 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0327 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0956 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_1128 by sc2100, on Flickr

Sydney Harbour Bridge by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0328 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0319 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0346 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0338 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0354 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0353 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0358 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0372 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0374 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0365 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0377 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0386 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_0388 by sc2100, on Flickr

IMG_1148 by sc2100, on Flickr

More to come..

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
Nice photos, it's such a photogenic city. But you got some grunge and history too. I love the way the loop has examples of London Underground cut and cover stations, New York Subway, and even an elevated station.

Yet it seems when I look at Sydney papers like the SMH and DT recently, their always seem to be a negative slant going on about living in Sydney at the moment. Don't people realise how good they've got it. Maybe you have to live in the right areas, I guess way out west could be bleak.

·
Registered
7,735 Posts
Yet it seems when I look at Sydney papers like the SMH and DT recently, their always seem to be a negative slant going on about living in Sydney at the moment. Don't people realise how good they've got it. Maybe you have to live in the right areas, I guess way out west could be bleak.
People know they have it good in this city that's why expectations are so high, nobody thinks they should have to just put up with things, no warts in paradise! Sydneysiders are angry with overcrowded buses and trains, and angry about traffic doubling their commute time. And an annoyed at expensive rents and housing prices.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Beautiful pics Crawf. Thanks for posting. You've captured the city really well.

·
Sydney: World's best city
40,696 Posts
^^It is a weekend^^.

Good work overall with this set. Those Madame Tussauds images are lovely. They look too good to be fakes.

Plenty of Sydney sparkle as well.

Nice photos, it's such a photogenic city. But you got some grunge and history too. I love the way the loop has examples of London Underground cut and cover stations, New York Subway, and even an elevated station.

The Daily Telegraph has actually gone for the "we love Sydney" view. Any criticsm is about making the city better.

You are right about The Sydney Morning Herald though.

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Thanks guys.

^^It is a weekend^^.

Yes, most of those streetscape shots were taken on a weekend. Though I was surprised that some CBD streets were dead at night during weekdays, for example Elizabeth Street which has so much potential being situated alongside the beautiful Hyde Park.

However precincts such as George Street and Darling Harbour were packed every single time we went there day and night.

Good work overall with this set. Those Madame Tussauds images are lovely. They look too good to be fakes.
Maddam Tussauds was great. These photos don't do them justice, many of them looked very realistic but there were some that were the opposite. One being the plastic Delta Goodrem figure, or maybe a true representation of her? :p

Overall my partner and I enjoyed Sydney, the weather was perfect except the gusty wind during the first two days. We found some great eateries, including Chinatown, Newtown and Hugos at Manly (oh my.......god). Oh and hot chocolate at Lindt Cafe (again... wow).

Seeing the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Opera House for the first time was pretty overwhelming. The Harbour Bridge is one magnificent structure, while the Opera House looks a little dated and need of some TLC. Nevertheless it's still an amazing looking building and I loved Opera Bar, it was great to chill on a Saturday night with great music and most beautiful backdrop of the city skyline and Harbour Bridge.

We visited many of the major attractions, including the National Maritime Museum where you could board both a submarine and ex navy ship. Didn't get a chance to do any retail therapy, but we did have a stroll through places like Westfield Sydney and the beautiful QVB.

As for public transport, it became extremely handy for us to get to the major destinations within minutes day/night. The most we waited was 2-5 minutes for trains in the city. We ended up using all modes of transport, including the useless Monorail.. I can now see why the NSW Government is getting rid of it.

However there were a few disappointments. Central Station in particular is a beautiful grand old building, but the platforms and walkways are average to say the least. Is there any plans for a major redevelopment in the near future?, like the introduction of more escalators?.

Another annoying thing was trying to understand the driver's voice of advising the next station on the older trains, you could hardly understand it 95% of times. This used to be a big problem in Adelaide before the refurbishment upgrade.

Last but not least, what is with Pie Face. I swear I saw about 200 of them in the city alone, tried it.. not bad.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
Not bad quality for iPhone!

Last but not least, what is with Pie Face. I swear I saw about 200 of them in the city alone, tried it.. not bad.
Tell me about it, I'm sick of seeing Pie Face logos too!
I'm sure Adelaide will soon be infested with them!

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
great snaps Crawf.

Was in Brisbane on the weekend and there were Pie Faces everywhere there too. First noticed them in Melbourne in April where there were hundreds of them. Bit expensive for just a pie that was just average.

Speaking of voice announcements, when the pilot does his little dribble after the plan 'tops out' I dont think Ive been able to understand anything they have said for the past 10 flights. Why bother Captain Over?

·
Premium Member
9,658 Posts
I don't mind the pilots announcements, and I've never had any trouble understanding them. They are trying to make you feel welcome and not just self loading cargo. It's also handy to hear the weather at the destination and if any delays are expected.

During climb they can be pretty busy, and they need to be extra alert for any ATC instructions and on the lookout for other aircraft. Once they reach their planned level (which is all theirs, not like climbing through everyone else's levels) they generally have some spare time before they start preparing for descent.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I don't mind the pilots announcements, and I've never had any trouble understanding them. They are trying to make you feel welcome and not just self loading cargo. It's also handy to hear the weather at the destination and if any delays are expected.
I like them aswell, and I was wanting to know the weather but both to and from Brisbane it was just a mumble that no one could hear. Virginblue may need to crosscheck Captain Over's microphone

·
40,696 Posts
Crawf - they have done some upgrades to Central lately but they are more about improving accessiblity for those that may have impairments.

The National Martime Museum is one of the top museums in Sydney.

·
Registered
2,677 Posts
Not bad quality for iPhone!

Tell me about it, I'm sick of seeing Pie Face logos too!
I'm sure Adelaide will soon be infested with them!
The Pie Face franchise is an interesting phenomenon; they are springing up all over the Sydney CBD, some being almost next to each other. Each franchisee pays a heap of money then fits out his store and stocks it with product from the franchisor.

As the number of people who buy fast food is the same today as it was yesterday they can only survive by taking business from existing outlets.

I predict that they will start to go out of business in a year or two; the franchisee loses everything while the franchisor loses nothing. As someone once said "there is one born every minute".

·
Registered
5,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Already one planned for Adelaide :/. It's interesting they are only targeting the CBDs of cities and not the burbs, maybe because you can find decent bakeries that are reasonable priced in the burbs.

Awesome photos Crawf! Thank god for the cameras on phone nowadays.
Extremely handy!, but kinda regretting that I didn't bring a decent camera. Took many night photos but 90% of them are write offs. Oh well

·
40,696 Posts
The Pie Face franchise is an interesting phenomenon; they are springing up all over the Sydney CBD, some being almost next to each other. Each franchisee pays a heap of money then fits out his store and stocks it with product from the franchisor.

As the number of people who buy fast food is the same today as it was yesterday they can only survive by taking business from existing outlets.

I predict that they will start to go out of business in a year or two; the franchisee loses everything while the franchisor loses nothing. As someone once said "there is one born every minute".
Alot of franchisees do get sucked in thinking that they will make a buck or two because the company gets the money.

And obviously too many of the same store within a small area is no good either in terms of profitability. You might as well target the areas that could rake in the money.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts