Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, that's to far. I had no plans after work on friday, so I decided to drive directly to Copenhagen to check out Ørestaden etc. The trip includes punctured tire in Copenhagen and examination on the Swedish border :lol:

The photo in the first post is from the tunnel part in the Øresund bridge.

More Photos soon! :cheers:

·
YIMBYer.no
1,386 Posts
Ah. Ok. In my mind, double white lines in on the road is very french. Even though I've never been on a french road. Looking forward to your Norwegian take on Ørestaden.

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
First some photos on the way down..

The great Uddevalla Bridge

Cruising towards Gothenburg

... almost there.

Gothenburg!
:banana:

roadwork in Gothenburg

still Gothenburg

But I had no time to stop. Windmills south of Gothenburg

Just before Malmø it started to rain

I started at 17 from Oslo and 22.35 or something I was at the Turning Torso.

Øresund Bridge, evening

Ørestaden and Copenhagen later. I'll give a summary of my impressions and thoughts after the photos are posted. :)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Looking forward to your Norwegian take on Ørestaden.
Probably nothing you haven't seen before, but here goes..!

Noisy metro woke me after a few hours of sleep in my car. None of the trains had graffitti on. That could never work in Oslo.

Commies next to the Consert Hall :eek:hno:

I was surprised that the blue facade on the consert hall actually are plastic curtains.

Danish dream of mountains, lol

building under construction

buildings U/C

·
Registered
12,321 Posts
Niiice, like the idea of taking a trip after work like that! Did you do it all in one day, or like, i mean, without sleep?

·
2,829 Posts
Niiice, like the idea of taking a trip after work like that! Did you do it all in one day, or like, i mean, without sleep?
Hehe me too! :D Copenhagen-Malmø-Stockholm-..Oslo?

Anyway fine photos Muster, just a shame you didn't experience Ørestaden in sunshine - promise you a lot better ;) Hopefully you went downtown or was it just Ørestad?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hehe, no I had like 4-5 hours of really bad quality sleep in my car in Ørestaden. I had to stop for more sleep on my way back home though. The hole trip took me like 28-29 hours.

Hehe me too! :D Copenhagen-Malmø-Stockholm-..Oslo?

Anyway fine photos Muster, just a shame you didn't experience Ørestaden in sunshine - promise you a lot better ;) Hopefully you went downtown or was it just Ørestad?
Who cares about the sun? I can always look at Freki's photos :)

Yes I also went downtown. I was very happy to see that my new favourite Danish company was located there, DONG ENERGY :lol:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Beautiful shot of Copenhagen :D Yeah DONG is soon larger than Hydro :p
They are? Oh well, Hydro is reduced to nothing these days :)

Some more from downtown. Maybe a danish forumer can tell what it is that we see?
Wake Up. Seems to be a hotel?

·
2,829 Posts
WakeUp is perhaps not the alternative to Norman Foster's hotel, but it's still plain boring and is a part of the larger Tivoli Congress Center.. Utzon when he is worst, still an OK cladding.

I'm surprised you didn't take a photo of that big ass 300m skyscraper U/C in Tivoli?

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
WakeUp is perhaps not the alternative to Norman Foster's hotel, but it's still plain boring and is a part of the larger Tivoli Congress Center.. Utzon when he is worst, still an OK cladding.

I'm surprised you didn't take a photo of that big ass 300m skyscraper U/C in Tivoli?

You mean the famous "Titan, Copenhagen rules the world Tower"???

I have a dedicated thread for that one, coming up later ;)

Here is a guy snoring after a night on town. I could hear him snore like 1oo m away.. :lol:

·
2,829 Posts
You mean the famous "Titan, Copenhagen rules the world Tower"???

I have a dedicated thread for that one, coming up later ;)
Great, and that's probably a good choice - you shouldn't mix mediocre architecture of Kim Utzon with Titan himself.

Titan is believed to include one of Europes biggest prisons on the 60th floor - reserved for angry NIMBYs. They deserve an awesome view :happy:

·
Registered
6,049 Posts
Seems you had a nice trip, i did Halden - Trondheim - Halden without sleep once. That was a real bitch when i passed Oslo around 6 in the morning the following day and bought 3 cups of coffee just to stay awake....

Ørestaden looks cool as always, i want to go there someday too:)

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Seems you had a nice trip, i did Halden - Trondheim - Halden without sleep once. That was a real bitch when i passed Oslo around 6 in the morning the following day and bought 3 cups of coffee just to stay awake....

Ørestaden looks cool as always, i want to go there someday too:)
Cool! When I was younger I couldn't understand how people could fall asleep when they are driving. Normal people don't fall asleep when they are walking, so how can it happen when they are driving?
Now I know better. It's really easy to fall asleep when driving, especially on motorways. The really spooky thing is that you can feel wide awake, the next second you're half-sleeping and about to loose control of the car. Today when this happens I always stop at the first possible exit road.. Continuing like that is complete madness! :eek:hno:

Anyway, here is the last bulk of photos. Summary later on :)

The library

inside the library

the library is actually connected to an old building. Probably the old library. I didn't know that :)

the new theatre and the opera in the background

houses by the water

from the other side

and touristy..:lol:

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ok, here comes a short summary :)

On the plus side:

Turning Torso - From photos I haven`t been a big fan of this building but after my visit I have to admit that the building is just fantastic. Together with the opera in Oslo this makes the most spectacular buildings in this region, and icons of our time. Really superb! :cheers:

The library in Copenhagen "Den sorte diamant" - A beautiful building in many ways. Great architecture!

The white apartment buildings by the canal. This is how standard new housing project should look like. I wouldn't mind living there
:)

Cladding and playfull use of materials in Ørestaden

Negative side

The Øresund Bridge - Driving the bridge doesn't give any kick. The Uddevalla bridge actually feels more impressive. And 275 danish kroner one way is insane :nuts:

Ørestaden - I was sceptical before I visited the place, and sadly I wasn't impressed when I was there either. I don't like the philosophy or thinking behind the project. But a bigger disappointment was the buidings. There are of course a few nice buildings and I recognice the new thinking behind "VM-bjerget". But this area is not for me. It reminds me a bit of Nydalen in Oslo, but I would actually prefer Nydalen for living. The future for Ørestaden could be brighter though..

1 - 20 of 21 Posts