SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what architects and developers should get credit in Chicago for improving the quality of the new buildings that are being built. Just a few years ago almost all the new condo buildings were similar the crappy painted concrete buildings in River North. Modern (i.e. glass and steel) was taboo. Now we have a lot more interesting and modern architecture that is being built and developed. The "common" person isn't so scared of modern.

I personally think that these three buildings that were built 3-4 years ago deserve some credit in turning around peoples perceptions.

1) Skybridge
2) The Contemporaine
3) Erie on the Park

Contemporaine and Skybride both designed by Ralph Johnson
Erie designed by Lucien Lagrange

Eventhough the new soldier field has been bashed, it did help bring back Modern to Chicago.

Although not a building, the success of Millenium Park has also helped and alllowed architects (and Politicians) to think outside the box.

Just wondering what others thought

·
What'u smokin' Willis?
2,488 Posts
I say give them height bonuses for good architecture and high quality exteriors.

·
Registered
974 Posts
Yes, we need some more high profile prizes for DEVELOPERS who produce architecturally stellar buildings. Architects will often come up with the good designs *if* the developer is willing to care about his legacy as well as his net worth, and put out the extra money to do so.

A few developers who deserve plaudits:

CMK Development (Contemporaine, and now 1620 S Michigan and 1720 S Michigan) Yes, the design of their buildings are starting to repeat itself, but what's so bad about sleek design repeating itself? And the Contemporaine is a stunning example of how exposed concrete can look great when in the right hands.

Dumas Associates. HUB 116 seems like the type of modestly scaled office building you would see in a European city where architects have greater freedom to go out on a limb. (Pictures at archidose.blogspot.com: http://www.archidose.org/Blog/hub116-1.jpg)

Ranquist Development. 156 Superior, another Euro-style building with an exo-skeleton, 835 North Paulina, and a handful of other smaller-scale condo developments built with flair.

Urban R2 Develpment -- for hiring Helmut Jahn to do 600 North Fairbanks

Forest City Enterprises for generally competent buildings in Central Station. It seems that the newer buildings in that development have become increasingly more interesting.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.