SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I heard it broke ground. Is it right?
How long does the building of the line take and how high are the costs?

·
Registered
18,656 Posts
I don't think it actually broke ground, but there is some work on relocating utilities.

The off-grade portions surprised me since Crenshaw is not a heavily trafficked street and in general there is sufficient room for rail lines.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
I don't think it actually broke ground, but there is some work on relocating utilities.

The off-grade portions surprised me since Crenshaw is not a heavily trafficked street and in general there is sufficient room for rail lines.
I think the article is just referencing the ceremonial groundbreaking.

In fairness though, that seems to be about as far as most of the Expo phase II construction is at. I was looking at the portion that straddles the 10 on Wednesday, and it doesn't look like they've gone much further than dismantling the old tracks.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts

Crenshaw is sufficiently wide enough for a street car, yes. But after seeing the poor street running sections for a high floor boarding LRT line like Expo, I am very pleased that the residents fought with all in their quivers for grade separation for most of the line. We cannot continue to build a serious network with slow street running trolley sections. Good on Crenshaw!

·
Registered
485 Posts
Tunnel Boring Machine Completes First Journey for Crenshaw/LAX Line
A tunnel boring machine (TBM) drilling the twin tunnels for Los Angeles' Crenshaw/LAX Line is living up to its name. Christened 'Harriet' after the trailblazing abolitionist and humanitarian Harriet Tubman, the massive machine has done some trailblazing of its own, completing excavation for the first tunnel of the line's northern underground portion at Leimart Park Station. The TBM will now be dismantled, transported back to its originating point at Expo/Crenshaw, lowered into the ground once again, reassembled, and begin drilling the remaining tunnel along the same route.

·
Registered
9,530 Posts
About the extension of the Crenshaw/LAX Line to the Hollywood/Highland Station:

What if the Crenshaw/LAX Line were extended up to the Purple Line before the 2028 Olympics (terminating at either Wilshire/La Brea, Wilshire/Fairfax, or Wilshire/La Cienega), and then the rest of the extension can be handled after the Olympics?

·
Registered
18,656 Posts
About the extension of the Crenshaw/LAX Line to the Hollywood/Highland Station:

What if the Crenshaw/LAX Line were extended up to the Purple Line before the 2028 Olympics (terminating at either Wilshire/La Brea, Wilshire/Fairfax, or Wilshire/La Cienega), and then the rest of the extension can be handled after the Olympics?
Would certainly be nice. But not likely since Metro is focusing on several non-Olympics projects.

Of course, the connection to Expo would connect you with DT and much of the west side. Uber can do the rest.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
Likely, Metro won't focus on such an obviously needed connection. Reasons including that they might expect the city, state, feds, or Olympic Committee to pay for those necessities to be in place while Metro spends its revenue on further cheaper expansions elsewhere. Otherwise Metro would have to use their own money to build the obviously needed connections without getting grants at all. Cuz Metro definitely wouldn't get a grant for connecting LA with San Dimas if they already built the rail necessary for connecting important/centralized corridors dependent on more efficient transportation.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts