Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I don't found a threat about these question. I hope I don't have it overlook but I ask anyway :)

I found so many data in the WWW and I don't understand.
Is the crime rate in Los Angeles high or low?

Please answer so easy if you can :lol:

Thank you :)

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
crime is pretty low for a big city. i have to re-research it, but 1992 and 1993 were our worst years with over 1100 homicides/murders. 2009 was our best year with around 314homicides/murders. i've heard others say that's alot, but it's pretty good for a city of over 4,000,000... it ends up being 7.85 per 100,000 population.

our city police recognize we have 26,000 gang members organized into 250 gangs. i don't know how that compares to other major cities, but we are referred to as the "gang capital of america".

for people that visit L.A., it's unlikely they will witness a crime (violent or not). it's been like 6 months since i've seen a fight in public, and before that was 3 years ago for a shoot-out. 1990s was the worst. it also depends on where you're at. West L.A. is pretty safe and i hear downtown is one of the safest neighborhoods in the city.

·
Registered
4,117 Posts
LA's crime rate has been in steady decline for about 8 years now. Currently, there have been 235 murders in the city of LA (as of oct 23). compare that to NYC and Chicago which are in the 430 to 450 range. Also, Chicago is estimated to have about 80,000 gang members, so i dont think we are the gang capital anymore.

The media loves to hype crime about LA, but statistically, LA is as safe or safer than most large American cities.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That's sounds good.
Have the police or the mayor some programs or something against crime?

·
Registered
18,947 Posts
If you are asking why the rate went down, you are asking the big unanswerable question. Some theories that have been proposed:

1. Superior policing and gang intervention strategies by the police (or the mayor or the city council).
2. Better understanding by social work professionals of how gangs works and how to countermand their appeal in the ghetto/barrio.
3. Tougher enforcement and sentencing (the hardcore are in jail and the rest are deterred).
4. Cyclical decline in drug usage (the heavy users kill themselves and others witness how devastating drug use is to communties).
5. Aging of the urban population.
6. The economic slowdown (people are less jealous of those doing well because so few are doing well). What is interesting here is that most theory claims that crime should go up with unemployment but it didn't.
7. It has been noted that those American cities NOT showing a decline in crime (Oakland, Detroit) are heavily gang and drug infested. But whether these are covariables on something else is less clear.

Of course, these are all reasons why LA or other Ameican cities' crime rates have dropped over time. Why the US crime rates are higher than, say, Europe, is another question.

·
Registered
5,486 Posts
CQ Press City Crime Rankings
http://www.cqpress.com/pages/citycrime2009
http://os.cqpress.com/citycrime/2009/Rankings2009_Population.pdf

Find out how your community fares in the fight against crime. The list of crime rate rankings is just the beginning! City Crime Rankings is a 388 page publication featuring 90 easy-to-use tables of city and metropolitan area crime data. Published annually for sixteen years, City Crime Rankings is a staple resource for researchers, city and law enforcement officials, and the news media that follow trends in crime. This new edition provides easy-to-understand crime comparisons for cities and metro areas throughout the United States.

Numbers, rates and trends for total crime, violent crime, murder, rape, robbery, aggravated assault, property crime, burglary, larceny-theft and motor vehicle theft are presented in both alphabetical and rank order for all metro areas and cities of 75,000 or more population. Also included are numbers and rates of police in cities. Americans want to know about crime in their communities. City Crime Rankings 2009-2010 provides this essential information in one comprehensive, user-friendly volume.

·
Silver Lake
5,451 Posts
That's sounds good.
Have the police or the mayor some programs or something against crime?
Perhaps the Federal Investigation of the LAPD which under Gates was corrupt and outright racist in the 90's which among other things encouraged the Los Angeles Riots/Uprisings.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The crime in Europe...hmmmm....it's very diffrent from country to country...In Italia, there is the mafia all around. They controlled a lot of the peoples environments or the government I think, I hope I say nothing wrong.

Here in Germany we live very safely. In the big cities is it a little bit dangerous but violance with weapons for example are realy rare...I hope :)

My english is bad :( Sorry for that

·
Registered
71 Posts
The crime in Europe...hmmmm....it's very diffrent from country to country...In Italia, there is the mafia all around. They controlled a lot of the peoples environments or the government I think, I hope I say nothing wrong.

Here in Germany we live very safely. In the big cities is it a little bit dangerous but violance with weapons for example are realy rare...I hope :)

My english is bad :( Sorry for that
I can assure you that here in Milan mafia is not a problem for common people. Sure, there are infiltrations in buildings and politics, but this doesn't increase the perception about criminality in everyday life.

For example, Italy performs better than Germany in many statistics:
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_mur_percap-crime-murders-per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_ass_percap-crime-assaults-per-capita
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_rap_percap-crime-rapes-per-capita

We've a problem with car thefts, though...
http://www.nationmaster.com/graph/cri_car_the_percap-crime-car-thefts-per-capita

:D

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I live in a verly little city...here are no crime or something... :lol:

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That sounds pretty cool and I hope that never change and gets lower by the next years

·
University of HK / 香港大&#23416
3,389 Posts
Crime in LA is at 1950's level.

Way lower than NY and Chi.
good to know, because i'll be staying in L.A. [11km southest from downtown] for 3 weeks (~mid december till first week of january). i guess as long as i stay away from compton, i'll be OK. :) and of course i'll be exploring southern california, i already got a rental car.

·
3,389 Posts
This is an article I came upon yesterday, Los Angeles is home to the safest neighborhood in the United States. http://www.walletpop.com/blog/2010/11/08/safest-neighborhoods-in-americas-top-cities-2010/
thanks for the link.

LOS ANGELES, CALIF.
Safest Neighborhood: Cahuenga Blvd.
Found within ZIP Code(s): 90068, 91604, 91608
Safer Than What % of All U.S. Neighborhoods: 98%
Rank Among 7,685 Big City Neighborhoods: 1
Crime rate (per 1,000): 0.96
My chances of becoming a victim here (in one year): 1 in 1,042
i'll be staying in commerce, hopefully that area is safe too. :)

·
Premium Member
30,074 Posts
Why Commerce? you have family or friends there? It's close to Downtown but the Commerce it self is so drab.

·
3,389 Posts
Why Commerce? you have family or friends there? It's close to Downtown but the Commerce it self is so drab.
well, i had not much of a choice because i got a special offer from the doubletree l.a hotel, which is (as you probably know) located in commerce. i guess i won't spend much time in that area, i'll be moving around lot. :) also, there is a big shopping mall just just across the hotel which i think is pretty convenient.

·
3,389 Posts
which areas should i generally avoid (especially at night), excluding the usual suspects as south L.A., watts, compton and lynwood?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts