6,836 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
LUMIERE - 2 towers 171m & 52 Stories with 113m & 30 Stories

CRITERION - 2 towers 160m & 47 Stories with 105m & 29 Stories

Criterion next to bottom right ©

·
Registered
30,494 Posts
Lumiere for height but I think Criterion has a more original design and fills a better part of the city, as well as binding the fabric of the existing centre better- Lumiere is just further extensions of the centre.

·
dE/dm
2,411 Posts
Criterion is far superior to Lumiere.
I find it hard to get exited by lumiere at all. It doesn't have the 'wow factor' of criterion that will create an original postcard skyline for leeds.

·
Loiner and Proud.
1,263 Posts
Talisker said:
Criterion is far superior to Lumiere.
I find it hard to get exited by lumiere at all. It doesn't have the 'wow factor' of criterion that will create an original postcard skyline for leeds.
ditto Criterion is mutch better.
although the hight of Lumiere is good!
i would love both but if i had to pick it would be Criterion

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
An interesting but pointless poll.

Why pointless ?
Because
1. our deliberations will have absolutely no influence on what is finally built
2. But in any case, should we not wait for a verdict as to which building is the better if and when either, or both, are built – perhaps in 5-8 years time?

No doubt you will again accuse me of being the resident curmudgeonly realist.
:)

·
Registered
4,997 Posts
They will both be fantastic additions to the skyline. But as a true skychaser, it has to be Lumiere because it is the taller of the two.

·
Registered
12,658 Posts
Criterion edges it for me, but I don't think it's a case of one 'versus' the other: the combined effect of both sets of towers will provide the real 'wow factor'.

·
Registered
30,494 Posts
Lumiere will start next year, if planning permission is granted. Criterion seems to change every day- possibly next year; but one thing to be sure about is that every second is closer to its construction! Well. If it gets built.

·
Registered
30,494 Posts
Im not sure- sometime over the summer. Keep checking the decisions list on the council site. I think if we do miss its announcement it wont be long until we find out as I suspect they will be keen to start construction.

·
Registered
2,378 Posts
onix said:
what makes you think it will take 5-8 years time fred2. i thought if they both get the go ahead, construction would start next year

My obvious answer to you is that time will tell !

·
Registered
38 Posts
Leeds No.1 said:
Lumiere will start next year, if planning permission is granted. Criterion seems to change every day- possibly next year; but one thing to be sure about is that every second is closer to its construction! Well. If it gets built.
Like the way you covered all your bases there....

:laugh:

·
Registered
4,676 Posts
Criterion Place gets my vote.

The location is superior, its a central site and will create a real pinnacle for the city. The two towers seem to correspond to each other much better than Lumiere. The design (well the first design we saw, don't know what the redesign will be like), was and is still much more exciting and adventurous. Truely unique IMO.

That said, we've not really seen enough of Lumiere...... three renders, both rather small, not elevations or perspectives from other major angles (as Criterion Place has). I don't think it's site is anywhere as central and city centre core focused as Criterion. On the plus side, it'll block out much of West Point. Mantle with aplomb!

That said, I'd still score 6-7 out of 10, whilst Criterion hits the 9 out of 10.

From what we know Lumiere is clearly ahead in the running for which actually will see the light of day.

As di Livio says, if both are built, then they will complement each other and certainly give the city another element of 'wow'.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts