SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Est. 2005
576 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Lets redesign Crosby Beach, make it into a modern an interesting place to visit, with watersports, rock climbing, another place, superlamb banananana, the yellow submarine, the observatory, temporary outdoor exhibits, artistic displays... you could then take a short walk to the lively cafes and restuarants on South Road, and even stop off a the Plaza cinema, before getting the train back to the city centre...

Crosby Beach could be an amazing asset to the city, its redevelopement has already started, but lets take it to the full, an urban beach!

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Interesting idea. Would people like a "city beach" at Crosby? We call our beaches in Brighton "city beaches", I don't think because they are in a city, but because of what it put on them - clubs, pubs, cafes, basketball courts, play areas, sculpture, shops, markets, bike rental places, gyms, beach huts - there is all sorts. Mostly these things are built into or immediately in front of the structures under the promenade wall.

·
Just something
10,923 Posts
Tides out and tides in.....on imagination and change.

I think the reason it has most likely not happened before would be due to the influence and reticence of the MD&HC who have so shamelessly kept the `River Mersey` out of the reach of as many locals as possible on both sides of the river over so many years.

`Peel` and the `Merseywaterfront` campaign should I hope see these barriers progressively removed over the coming years.....

The possability of a Marsey Ferry landing stage in the vercinity of Crosby Marina along with the viewing tower will only help to emphasie the potential for the area, which will still need better public access and public transport linking into Crosby and Waterloo.

I well remember getting off at `Waterloo Station` as a child on the way to a day out on the beach and passing all of the shops that sold buckets and spades, inflateable water wings and seaside postcards etc.

The building of the new `£80m Superport` should not be a hinderance, Crosby Marina was after all, only built as a facility to make up for loss of waterfront when Seaforth Dock was built.....and the MD&HC had no option but to include it in the project but IMHO did not go far enough.

http://www.merseywaterfront.com/index_assets.php?ID=13&AssetID=2
http://www.merseywaterfront.com/themes.php

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.