SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 189 Posts

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been on the open day road tunnel walks they have before the grand opening of a major underground tunnel? ive been on the wolli creek one and Sydney harbour tunnel walks pretty cool, bit of history.

the Cross City Tunnel in Sydney isnt far from opening to traffic with big walkj on Sunday June 12.
its 2.5km walk and 53m at deepest point. sounds like a great walk,.
website>

http://www.crosscitytunnel.com.au/Events.asp?navid=47&cid=47

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
I have been on several here in Brisbane.

A few years ago they opened up two new rail tunnels from Fortitude Valley to Roma St. They go quite deep.

The Busway at southbank has several tunnels for which there was a walk through. They opened a few years ago too.

jt

·
Registered Yooser
1,456 Posts
JayT said:
A few years ago they opened up two new rail tunnels from Fortitude Valley to Roma St. They go quite deep.
jt
Shit, I wanted to go on that. Whats it like down there?

oh...and I've never been on any tunnel walks...Just a few stormwater drains.

·
Captain Awesome
738 Posts
Well walking through the SE Busway tunnels was like... well... walking through the SE Busway tunnels. :lol:

·
Registered
76,985 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
526 Posts
I took the kids for a walk through Burnley tunnel on the open day, they loved it until we started the long climb out. We used the trains at both ways (it's a fairly short walk from the tunnel to Burnley station) and made a real day of it. The kids (one of them in a back pack) and I also did the walk over Bolte Bridge before it openned.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
I have never been one one....so I may go to June 12's X-City Tunnel walk.

How exciting that it's opening 4-5 months ahead of schedule.

Sydney's CBD will never be the same. :dizzy:

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
i will be walking through that tunnel for sure

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Only ever walked through the 500m long Heysen tunnels in Adelaide Hills on National Highway 1 about a month before they opened to traffic in 2000.

·
Registered
541 Posts
I walked the Eastern Distributor southbound on the opening day. Also the new Tom Ugly's bridge (though I was early primary school age for that one).

·
Registered
533 Posts
I will miss the tunnel walk this weekend, up in Mackay for 2 weeks...Though, not a supporter for road tunnels in Oz, I have never been to a new road walk opening...maybe the westlink M7 for me. :)

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
This weekend :? Cul states 12 June.

For those that can make it, let's have a "tunnel nerd" meet for the walk!

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
Muse said:
For those that can make it, let's have a "tunnel nerd" meet for the walk!
Gee, don't all clammer at once. Have to beat you off, there are so many. :bash: :bash: :bash:

·
skyscraper connoisseur
6,206 Posts
AHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Oh that knobheads!

http://smh.com.au/news/National/Carrs-great-tunnel-debacle/2005/06/04/1117825107298.html

ydney's much-hyped Cross City Tunnel will not open next Sunday, as widely advertised, in a major embarrassment for the Carr Government.

The Sun-Herald can reveal the opening of the 2.1-kilometre tunnel has been delayed until late July, contrary to an advertising campaign inviting Sydneysiders to join the June 12 walk-through before it opens to traffic.

There goes the tunnel walk plan...out of the window.

·
Registered
8,590 Posts
:?

It doesn't make mention if the tunnel walk is off altogether or just postponed. I imagine postponed.

LOL @ the RTA in damage control mode....and Costa-bozo ;)

Oh well, Sydney will just have to wait another 1 1/2 months then. At least they're making sure it's done properly and not a rush job with "some of the civil works...". We don't want any mishaps to occur just for Carr's photo opoortunity. :|

It will still be 3 months or so ahead of initial schedule.

1 - 20 of 189 Posts