SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
It burnt from 9am (ish) well into yesterday evening. Westgate Road (SJB - Clayton Street), Cross Street & Fenkle Street were all closed and there were at least 7 or 8 appliances in attendance. I was driving across Grandstand Road at the north end of Town Moor when I first heard the news on the radio and you could smell the smoke all the way up there.

I snapped a couple from Clayton Street around 11:50am.

20151201_114958 by stamford0001, on Flickr

20151201_114939 by stamford0001, on Flickr

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
I passed the area this morning and it is very restricted for obvious reasons. However can we all remember that at this stage it is still feared that someone has lost their life in this fire.

It looked to me to be ghoulish for numerous folk to be hanging around, gawping and attempting to take photographs, but that's just my own opinion.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Kard Bar Fire, Cross Street

Visited again this morning (Wed 2nd) and Cross Street & Charlotte Sq were still cordoned off. I spoke to one of the fire service guys who said it was quite likely the building would have to come down as it was in a very bad way. All the floors had gone and the fire was indeed still burning within the rubble.

A few snaps of the area.

DSCN0709 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0714 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0715 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0720 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0726 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0727 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0728 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0730 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN0729 by stamford0001, on Flickr

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Very sad if someone has lost their life in there.

Can anyone tell me the age of that building?

·
The Legend
13,172 Posts
RIP to the man who lost his life.

With all the talk about it I was curious to it's exact location. I never realised that it was the store where I went a few times as a teenager, I once got a human dog collar from there (you heard right) and some spiked wristbands.

·
Registered
4,369 Posts
RIP to the man who lost his life.

With all the talk about it I was curious to it's exact location. I never realised that it was the store where I went a few times as a teenager, I once got a human dog collar from there (you heard right) and some spiked wristbands.
It was an unusual shop and I dare say had you wanted a Crass badge from there to complete the look, he'd supply it. It's sad to see Kard Bar destroyed as this was the kind of shop you'd only find on Westgate Rd.

·
Registered
3,135 Posts

·
Registered
20,463 Posts
Kard Bar, Cross Street, Newcastle - after the recent fire, 16th December 2015

Follow up on Stamford's post 6075 of 06/12/15

Pictures by myself from Wednesday 16/12/15 approx 1400 showing state of the buildings and fencing on Cross St following the recent fire

Images hosted on Photobucket

KEN

·
Registered
3,135 Posts
Kard Bar Fire, Cross Street

19th February 2016

Big crane in place yesterday and surveyor types in a big basket were inspecting

DSCN6450 by stamford0001, on Flickr

DSCN6452 by stamford0001, on Flickr

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Somebody told me that there Scene of Crime Officers at the Kard Bar today so presumably it has taken all this time to make the place safe before an investigation could be started.

·
Part Time Contributor
43,309 Posts
Fire-ravaged Newcastle Kard Bar set to be demolished by new owners

Courtesy of the Chronicle Live, copyright NCJMedia Ltd @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/fire-ravaged-newcastle-kard-bar-12199550
Fire-ravaged Newcastle Kard Bar set to be demolished by new owners
By Chris Knight 19 November 2016

The Kard bar building on Cross Street Newcastle still cordoned off

Newcastle City Council confirmed to ChronicleLive that the site now had new owners and would be flattened within the next two weeks.

A council spokesman said: “Officers have continued to liaise with representatives acting for the building owner (the deceased) in working towards a solution for the building. During this time we have maintained temporary measures on Cross Street to ensure public safety. In recent weeks the property has been sold.

Council officers have met with the new owner of the building and have been advised that works to carry out further demolition of the building are expected to commence within the next two weeks, sufficient to allow Cross Street to be reopened. The council does not as yet have knowledge of the new owner’s future plans for the site.”

Read more and see video @ http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/news/north-east-news/fire-ravaged-newcastle-kard-bar-12199550

·
Registered
1,323 Posts
Fred Dibnah used to have a strange pronunciation of the word 'demolition', not quite Clouseau but well on the way. The knocking down of the sorry Kard Bar building has begun and also seems a bit chaotic. Photo taken today, about 15:40, and hosted on Photobucket

1 - 20 of 48 Posts