SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 106 Posts

·
Registered
11,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was going to post this in the London thread but these things tend to get lost among the many posts.

The development team behind the proposals for the new Isle of Dogs Asda, and the associated "new district centre" will be returning for a follow-up exhibition next week.

The exhibition will take place in a marquee next to the existing Asda on the following days:
Thursday 23rd July - 1.00pm-7.00pm
Friday 24th July - 1.00pm-7.00pm
Saturday 25th July - 9.00am - 12.00noon

This will be an opportunity to find out more about plans for new shops, housing, landscaping and community facilities.

It also looks like this will be the last consultation opportunity before the planning application itself is submitted to Tower Hamlets Council

Bit more background here.

Tower Hamlets Council received a request for a scoping opinion on the development of the Asda site on East Ferry Road. The parameters of the proposed development included the following:

Demolish and rebuild the existing supermarket to around 14,000 sq.m;
Provide an additional 20,000 sq.m. of additional retail, leisure and community floor space, across two floors within two new terraces;
Provide new residential accommodation in a series of blocks ranging from three storeys to thirty storeys;
Create a new public square at ground level in front of the proposed supermarket;
Provide a total of 1,500 parking spaces.

There was an old plan posted years ago on here but got lost in the great hack account long ago.

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'll try and duck over for a look-see. Only a short walk away.

·
1,173 Posts
1500 car parking spaces!.... LOL... this will never get planning permission with that ratio of car parking to floorspace. Unless the residents of the Isle of Dogs want Mastmaker Road and Manchester Road traffic jammed 24/7 turning the place into the Isle of Exhaust Fumes.

·
Registered
6 Posts
This exhbition was already done a few months back by Broadway Malyan.

Personally, Limeharbour, Marsh Wall can't take anymore traffic. It doesn't help that Pan Paninsula development has eem Marsh Wall one way for getting on to 3 years now - it can take 30 minutes just to get off the I of D on a good day.

The entire of I of D has far too much residential. I am no expert in planning but it does not take a genius to all the developments completed and in progress sitting empty - its doing the value of my place down big time so we dont need anymore thanks. Just look at the new development next to Cross Harbour station - surley the fact that they are not building out the full extent what was approved shows that they understand the market.

Nice as the area is there is little or no commercial to sustain the place with so much residential. O.k. a few bars at West India key, a bit of shopping in Canary Wharf. A Tesco Metro or dental surgery at the ground floor of a block of flats is geting a bit mundane now.

Wait till after the olympics, property values in this are alone are going to fall through the floor as a result but I get the feeling most people dont really care becasue the majority appears to be funded via RSLs / Local Authority so why would they care :(

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
^^ I agree with about the roads. I think every new development must step back to allow a wider road and pavement. My choice would be add a bus lane and a cycle lane. Westferry road is very cramped and really needent be as the majority of the developments along there have been built over the last twenty years. CW should be forced to build a road bridge to its development from the South as the two roads East and West are not enough.

However, I don't agree with everything else. Consider the IofD with CW then there is a shortage of residential compared to the 10's of millions of sq ft of office space. The number of office workers moving to the estate increases by thousands each year. There is a dip in conrete applications and new build starts right now, but with all the scoping options being touted at I think the commercial sector is saying loud and clear that it intends to ramp up further new build as soon as there is a glimmer of hope in the economy. Bars, restaurants, small buisnesses, shops, fitness clubs, dry cleaners.... will all come just like any other residential area of London. Why do there need to be significant workplaces specifically on the non-CW part of the IofD when there is a massive city centre less than a mile away?

Why would the Olympics have any impact what so ever, before of after to the residential market???

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
Do we have any details on the Development

·
BUND
4,045 Posts
Im finding it quite bizarre about the roads. I was around canary wharf, marsh wall and this isle of dogs asda on a friday and the roads were virtually empty! Pretty much buses only.

I wasnt up before 9am, so i guess theres some extreme commuter traffic and then the village atmosphere from then on!

·
Taikun
10,129 Posts
Im finding it quite bizarre about the roads. I was around canary wharf, marsh wall and this isle of dogs asda on a friday and the roads were virtually empty! Pretty much buses only.

I wasnt up before 9am, so i guess theres some extreme commuter traffic and then the village atmosphere from then on!
sounds like a rush hour thing. an area like IOD has little traffic passing through during the day because it doesn't house those types of businesses or institutions.

·
Registered
11,862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Annamaria & JackF did you wander over??

This from a local councillors blog.

The long-anticipated redevelopment of the Isle of Dogs Asda came a step closer last week, with an exhibition of the latest plans in the store.

Much of it was expected - the new larger supermarket, around 1,100 new flats and houses, additional shopping facilities, and a tower (of about 30 storeys) at the southern edge of the site.

Also, as expected, the plan removes the only remaining petrol filling station on the Isle of Dogs.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Annamaria & JackF did you wander over??

This from a local councillors blog.

The long-anticipated redevelopment of the Isle of Dogs Asda came a step closer last week, with an exhibition of the latest plans in the store.

Much of it was expected - the new larger supermarket, around 1,100 new flats and houses, additional shopping facilities, and a tower (of about 30 storeys) at the southern edge of the site.

Also, as expected, the plan removes the only remaining petrol filling station on the Isle of Dogs.
Sorry, completley forgot about it... Yeah I had a quick look on Friday. Forgot to take pics aswelll...

The plan for the Asda store looks to be moved to where the petrol station/carpark entrance is now.
Residential is for the southern and eastern sides of the site with the tower in the south-east corner.
Other business is for the centre and north-eastern parts.

I honestly don't know how they are going to fit everything in... If the plan is for a bigger Asda store and still have loads of parking, I just can't see it working....

·
Registered
2,335 Posts

The summer holidays have just started and I've noticed a huge fall in traffic. We really need to get our kids walking and cycling again. I used to cycle up Westferry road each morning and it was chaos, the worst of it around the school half way up.

·
Registered
249 Posts
The summer holidays have just started and I've noticed a huge fall in traffic. We really need to get our kids walking and cycling again. I used to cycle up Westferry road each morning and it was chaos, the worst of it around the school half way up.
Is that Arnhem Wharf Primary School? I live in behind the scool and the only times I have seen really bad traffic on Westferry Road is when there are roadworks or an accident...

I have noticed the traffic level has been down alot over the past few months though... Its really quiet along there at times. I like it. :)

·
, , and , Fade to Black.
7,971 Posts
"Demolish and rebuild the existing supermarket to around 14,000 sq.m;"
So new ASDA
Provide an additional 20,000 sq.m. of additional retail, leisure and community floor space, across two floors within two new terraces;
Mini Mall with other shops
Provide new residential accommodation in a series of blocks ranging from three storeys to thirty storeys;
Apartment towers 3 to 30 floors !
"Create a new public square at ground level in front of the proposed supermarket,Provide a total of 1,500 parking spaces."
Public Park and More more car spaces
IF these all still happens seems big development to me !

·
Registered
6 Posts
^^ I agree with about the roads. I think every new development must step back to allow a wider road and pavement. My choice would be add a bus lane and a cycle lane. Westferry road is very cramped and really needent be as the majority of the developments along there have been built over the last twenty years. CW should be forced to build a road bridge to its development from the South as the two roads East and West are not enough.

However, I don't agree with everything else. Consider the IofD with CW then there is a shortage of residential compared to the 10's of millions of sq ft of office space. The number of office workers moving to the estate increases by thousands each year. There is a dip in conrete applications and new build starts right now, but with all the scoping options being touted at I think the commercial sector is saying loud and clear that it intends to ramp up further new build as soon as there is a glimmer of hope in the economy. Bars, restaurants, small buisnesses, shops, fitness clubs, dry cleaners.... will all come just like any other residential area of London. Why do there need to be significant workplaces specifically on the non-CW part of the IofD when there is a massive city centre less than a mile away?

Why would the Olympics have any impact what so ever, before of after to the residential market???

Bars and restaurants are shutting down, even in West India Key and the way all the reis is laid out there is no hub to create a community. Sporadic dry- cleaners and Tesco Metros are not where it is at.

Granted traffic is only really that bad when and accident occurs or its rush hour or building works vehicles clog them up - when its bad though its real bad. Also, DLR can barley cope as it is without another 1500 people and suspect it won't be much better even with a few extra carriages. As for the comments on cycle lanes, agreed but we need to learn how to build those too as none of them are flat.

As for the roads themselves, was hoping these would be re-done once PanP was built but it seems continual developments means this wont happen for a long while. The roads here are the bumpiest roads that I know of in London - a nightmare for cyclist and motocyclists alike!

Olympics has a large impact which is why the private money backed out of supporting the large residential schemes over in Stratford. Its happened quite a number of times where over development occurs prior to Olympics to satisfy residential demand then whens it finished the market around that area just collapses. You can quote me on this after 2012.

Not many people work in Canary Wharf and live in the area, quite a few work in the city though.

·
E14's finest!
212 Posts
I'm not sure if anyone has got this but I got this through the mail lastnight. Good news, the petrol station will stay.

1 - 20 of 106 Posts