SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Crosstown Classic, Windy City Series, Red Line Rivalry... whatever you call it, it's been one hell of a series, hasn't it? Filled with flare and controversey, just the way I like it. This is a rivalry at its best, even if it was a cheap shot (and some might say a dirty play).

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
A steel cage match on the southside today?

A predict that the Cubs will take the rubber game of the series.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
chicagogeorge said:
A predict that the Cubs will take the rubber game of the series.
there is no rubber match in this series, the sox already won the first two games, meaning that they have already won the series regardless of the outcome of today's game. a rubber game only occurs in a 3 game series when the first two games are split between the two teams.

·
Registered
5,278 Posts
^
Yeah you are right. I meant that the White Sox won't sweep the Cubs. Which they didn't.

·
JoePa4Eva
254 Posts
Chicago stole the show for the first round of interleague play in the 2006 MLB season. Amazing series, incredible rivalry.

Crosstown Classic, Windy City Series, Red Line Rivalry... whatever you call it
When the Yanks meet the Mets, everybody in the country refers to those games as the Subway Series. Chicago is in need of a catchy nickname like that. I happen to like "The CTA Series." Or how about this: "The Black and Blue Brawl."

Anyway, your White Sox are looking mighty fine at the present time. That organization has done an unbelievable job of stockpiling talent at every position. You can never expect to win the World Series, but barring injuries and/or unforseen developments, the White Sox are positioned to be among the three favorites through 2007. Their starters are locked up through that year, and when you really think about it, it's mind-blowing to think of Javier Vasquez as their NUMBER 5 starter.

Crosstown Classic, Windy City Series, Red Line Rivalry... whatever you call it
So even though the Sox won the series, the Cubs still came away as the moral victors? LOL, that wonderfully reinforces the "Lovable Losers" stigma that's been attached to the Cubs for about a century of baseball.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NittanyBLUE2002 said:
When the Yanks meet the Mets, everybody in the country refers to those games as the Subway Series. Chicago is in need of a catchy nickname like that. I happen to like "The CTA Series." Or how about this: "The Black and Blue Brawl."
Yeah, but the term "Subway Series" was arounhd long before the 2000 World Series. And it doesn't just refer to the Yankees and Mets. It has been around since the '40s or '50s and originally reffered to any game, ususally the WS, between NY teams (Yanks, Giants, Dodgers), which there were a lot of in the '50s.

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
NittanyBLUE2002 said:
Chicago stole the show for the first round of interleague play in the 2006 MLB season. Amazing series, incredible rivalry.
Nittany, keep in mind some thing special about Cubs vs. Sox that Yanks-Mets, Dodgers-Angels, and Giants-A's lack.

Only Chicago has always been in both the NL and AL throughout those leagues' histories. In fact, from 1958-1960, Chicago was the only city in both leagues. The 100+ years of the Cub-Sox rivalry blows anyother cross-town rivalry out of the water.

·
JoePa4Eva
254 Posts
Nittany, keep in mind some thing special about Cubs vs. Sox that Yanks-Mets, Dodgers-Angels, and Giants-A's lack.

Only Chicago has always been in both the NL and AL throughout those leagues' histories. In fact, from 1958-1960, Chicago was the only city in both leagues. The 100+ years of the Cub-Sox rivalry blows anyother cross-town rivalry out of the water.
That is an excellent piece of information that I never realized until you brought it to our attention.

Here's what I think of with respect to each Series:

SUBWAY SERIES
Mets vs. Yanks: These two teams will always be in the Top 5 in payroll. While both teams have distinctly different personalities (Yanks = Goliath with frontrunner fans, Mets = heroes who saved NL baseball in NYC, brought together Dodger Blue and Giants Orange, Long Island preppie fans), they're both fighting to win over the hearts of 13,000,000 fans in the New York Metropolitan area. Both teams have national fanbases. Both teams are always under enormous pressure to win, and the fans live and die with every pitch in the Subway Series.

CROSSTOWN CLASSIC
Red Line Series, Windy City Series, CTA Series, Backyard Brawl, Black & Blue Brawl, Second City Series, etc...
Cubs vs. Sox: As different as the Mets are from the Yankees, the Cubs and White Sox are ultimately the absolute epitome of polar opposites. New York has a big chunk of fans on the fence. Chicago has some as well, but the vast majority of the city's fans strongly identify with one side or the other.
Stereotypes suggest Cubs fans are fun-loving preppies from the collegiate Greek community in suburban Chicago/Iowa/Milwaukee (or tourists/soccer moms) who go to the historically sun-drenched & ivy-covered "friendly confines" of Wrigley Field to drink Old Style and pre-game before a boozy night on the town. Ernie Banks, Mark Grace and Ryne Sandberg are the heroes of the affectionately named "Loveable Losers."
Sox fans come from a blue-collar upbringing from the inner-city/South Side of Chicago, and their parents most likely raised their kids to pay a lifetime of loyalties to Bill Veeck's legendary Chicago White Sox. Sox fans will tell you they're baseball purists who would rather listen to the game on the radio than on TV. At least half the fans at Comiskey Park supposedly record every play on their score cards. If Cubs fans drive BMWs, then Sox fans drive GTOs -- and they can even change the oil all by themselves. In support of their "South Side Hitmen," Sox fans insist "Good Guys Wear Black." People who were born into the privileged life with silver spoons in their loud mouths typically associate with the Cubs, whereas the people who shoveled snow and mowed lawns as kids, paid for college on their own, and quietly worked their way up the corporate ladder without any assistance associate with the White Sox. The Sox have a roller-coaster history, both good and bad -- you have the scandal of the 1919 Black Sox (a blown dynasty-in-the-making), you have Disco Demolition Night, you have the 1997 White Flag Firesale. You also have Shoeless Joe Jackson, Nellie Fox, Carlton Fisk, Frank Thomas (for better or for worse), Luis Aparacio, Charles Comiskey, Bill Veeck, Harry Caray (Sox before Cubs), Sammy Sosa (Sox before Cubs), Tony La Russa (Sox before Cards) and a loyal front office that remains almost entirely homegrown. The Hitless Wonders owned the City of Chicago in the middle part of the 20th Century with firehouses across the city blasting their alarms after big "White Sox Winners" as people supposedly danced in the streets or ducked for cover in their basements in anticipation of WWIII. You also have a World Series title to your credit.
Even though 8 short miles separate Wrigley from Comiskey -- North from South -- when the Sox and the Cubs square off, the fans in the stands are from worlds apart. Typically, Sox fans are there to see their squad silence the fanbase that buzzes in their ears year-round. The North Siders are there just in case the Cubs win, and if that somehow happens, and if they're there to witness the upset, they can then carry their heads high with pride all year long and smear Sox fans faces in the dirty truth that the Cubs not only have the superior social scene, but they also stole the Sox' soul and their supposed obsession with "the pure game of baseball." Cubs fans will thump their chests and announce the City of Chicago as a territory belonging only to the Cubs with claims that nobody really knows or cares about the Sox. Of course, we've seen the dynamic evolve "just a little bit" in the last year alone.

Anyway, I'd break down the other Series across the country, but I haven't the time after this lengthy thread.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
^ i believe it was the tribune who found that, demographically speaking, cubs fans and sox fans are remarkably similar to each other. and with the diaspora into the burbs, baseball fandom in chicagoland has FAR more to do with who your dad rooted for than with whether you live north or south of madison.

the myths that surround the two teams' respective fanbases serve a purpose for the alleged "identities" of the teams, but they are still just that: myths.

·
JoePa4Eva
254 Posts
Steely: Your "BOOM" link is simply incredible. I've enjoyed it for a while now but never said anything because I was never registered until a few days ago. I'd imagine there's a ton of lurkers out there who silently appreciate your work just as much as I do. So keep on keeping on. There are other excellent contributors. That Victor guy, the guy who took the heli-photos of Chicago, there's a bunch of them, and that's why these boards are so great.

·
JoePa4Eva
254 Posts
i believe it was the tribune who found that, demographically speaking, cubs fans and sox fans are remarkably similar to each other.
I once interviewed with Fox Sports Chicago and was told the wealthiest Chicago fanbase (behind the Blackhawks) was none other than the White Sox. Surprising, but apparently true (at the time).

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Steely is definetly right that deomographically speaking, Cubs and Sox fans are largely the same, but historically that isn't the case. Nowadays, yes, but it hasn't always been this way. And despite the reality, many of the old perceptions still exist.

·
Registered
838 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
DeMaFrost said:
How about the Red Line Series since both parks are connected by a single "L" line.
"Red Line Rivalry" has a better ring to it, I think.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts