Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 230 Posts

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Work to begin on £50m student halls
16 Aug 2012, 10:47

Ocon Construction will start building this month a 1,259-unit accommodation complex for University of Liverpool at the top of Brownlow Hill in the city centre.

Crown Place will be built in three blocks on the site of the university's former veterinary school, which will relocate to a new building, currently nearing completion.

Work will begin on site when the veterinary school has moved across to its new facilities and Ocon will then demolish the existing building, recycling the fabric of the old veterinary school as piling material for the student halls.

The design and build project, designed by Lewis & Hickey Architects, comes as Ocon's work on the University of Liverpool's £34m Chatham Street scheme draws to a close.

Once completed in August 2014, Crown Place will bring the total number of student bedrooms constructed by Ocon for the university to 2,008.

http://www.placenorthwest.co.uk/news/archive/12129-work-to-begin-on-50m-student-halls.html

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
^^

Yes, there will be, and they're keeping their options open as to what.

From the Planning Explorer -

Application Number - 12F/1355
Site Address - Land Bounded by Grove Street Brownlow Hill and Peach Street Liverpool L3 5TX
Proposal - To develop the site by the erection of three blocks comprising 1224 en-suite student bedrooms and 35 warden/tutor rooms with associated communal and support facilities; ground floor commercial space to be used for purposes within Use Classes A1 (Retail), A2 (Financial and Professional Services), A3 (Restaurants and Cafes), A4 (Drinking Establishments); A5 (Hot Food Take Away); B1 (Business); C2 (Residential Institution); D1 (Non-Residential Institution) and/or D2 Assembly and Leisure); and provide associated car and cycle parking provision.
Applicant - University of Liverpool and Ocon Construction Ltd

From here - http://northgate.liverpool.gov.uk/P...ins/Liverpool_WIP/Menus/PL.xml&DAURI=PLANNING

I'd like to think that the current tenants of the Blackwells building could be moved into the new building once complete, thereby allowing the much needed re-development of that site.

·
Registered
14,007 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Good idea. Keep the development momentum going. When this building and the new Royal Hospital gets built, the sense of scale upon arrival from Edge Lane will be much more appropriate. We just need Edge Lane West and the retail park to get cracking ASAP.

·
Registered
1,861 Posts
They're no longer calling it Crown Court but I'm not sure if they've come up with an official new name yet. They hadn't realised that 'Crown Court' has another meaning until someone pointed it out...

·
Liverpool + Urmston
7,287 Posts
Crown Court is now............

They're no longer calling it Crown Court but I'm not sure if they've come up with an official new name yet. They hadn't realised that 'Crown Court' has another meaning until someone pointed it out...
Called............Crown Place

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,772 Posts
Demolition clears way for student halls

Ocon Construction has started demolishing the University of Liverpool's old Veterinary Sciences Building to prepare for the £50m Crown Place student accommodation scheme.

The new 1,259-bed development designed by Lewis & Hickey Architects is part of the university's plan to focus accommodation in the city centre.

This latest scheme follows completion by Ocon of the 700-bed, £34m Vine Court for the university in August.

Sub-contractor Network Demolition was brought in by Ocon to complete the demolition work, which is expected to take nine weeks. The veterinary sciences department has relocated to a new purpose-built facility.

Steve Jerams, project manager at Ocon, said: "The Crown Place scheme is a lynchpin element of the university's investment plans to provide cutting edge student residences across its estate, improve its facilities and create more sustainable buildings that are cost efficient to run while answering the low carbon agenda. Ocon has already been involved in optimising the potential of this site by modifying the BREEAM 'excellent' design brief to include 200 additional units on the same footprint. Now the demolition phase of the scheme will move those plans forward, removing an outdated, inefficient building to make way for contemporary student accommodation with retail and leisure facilities."

Crown Place is due to open in 2014.

·
cheeky2xist
219 Posts
In response to buggedboy's August statement ...
We just need Edge Lane West and the retail park to get cracking ASAP.
- the Mayor announced at a briefing this morning that positive news on Edge Lane Retail Park and the old Littlewoods Building would be coming out in the coming weeks - seems like things are finally back on track and Edge Lane development will pick up a pace again.

·
CENTRAL SCRUTINIZER
20,772 Posts
In response to buggedboy's August statement ... - the Mayor announced at a briefing this morning that positive news on Edge Lane Retail Park and the old Littlewoods Building would be coming out in the coming weeks - seems like things are finally back on track and Edge Lane development will pick up a pace again.
Fantastic news.

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
In response to buggedboy's August statement ... - the Mayor announced at a briefing this morning that positive news on Edge Lane Retail Park and the old Littlewoods Building would be coming out in the coming weeks - seems like things are finally back on track and Edge Lane development will pick up a pace again.
Superb. Any idea what the final plans are for the Littlewoods Building? A school?

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Superb. Any idea what the final plans are for the Littlewoods Building? A school?
I emailed Joe with a suggestion to turn it into something like The Sharp Project in Manchester (which is where I work :lol:). Basically, it's very, very cheap office space for digital start-ups.
I thought it'd be a good model for the Littlewoods building... especially since it's next door to Wavertree Tech Park. Would be awesome if Joe took my suggestion (he never replied :().

·
Banned
15,506 Posts
Good idea.

The office units that are, and are being made, available as part of the Baltic Creative campus are already the same sort of thang however. This Sharp project does look potentially on a significantly larger scale so the more the merrier I suppose.

It is worth bearing in mind also that adjacent to the Edge Lane Littlewoods building is the Liverpool Innovation Park, which contains the fairly vast former Marconi/GPT/GEC/Automatic building that was being marketed as the Liverpool Digital building until recently and is largely empty.

·
Registered
3,856 Posts
I emailed Joe with a suggestion to turn it into something like The Sharp Project in Manchester (which is where I work :lol:). Basically, it's very, very cheap office space for digital start-ups.
I thought it'd be a good model for the Littlewoods building... especially since it's next door to Wavertree Tech Park. Would be awesome if Joe took my suggestion (he never replied :().
There are people around such leaders who will instinctively and reflexively claim any credit for any idea that works, just as they are never remotely connected to ideas that do not work. They won't even recognise in private that a good idea comes from elsewhere, their very being is around self promotion and self protection. It's not Joe's fault, he has to trust the people who advise and support him. They filter, and will pretend to him that they are protecting him when really they are protecting and advancing their own careers. If you offer ideas, treat them as anonymous donations. And be happy to see someone else claim it as their own idea, if it happens.

1 - 20 of 230 Posts