Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Name: Crowne Plaza at Times Square,
Height and Floors: 480 feet, 46 floors. Rooms: 771
Style and Year of Completion: 1989 (Post-Modern)
Architect: Alan Lapidus Architects
Summary: This hotel is the Crowne jewel, so to speak, of the hotel chain in the Big Apple. The building is distinguished by its purplish glass windows and the curved masonry edges at the corners plated by aluminum. The western and northern walls face their respective streets. As of 2003 the hotel also had a huge Hershey’s chocolate bar ad next to it.

Pictures courtesy of Edward from Wired New York:

Main entrance:

Another angle:

·
Galactic Ruler
6,857 Posts
10 for me... it's mirrored and yeah I have stayed there.

This is an awesome hotel and I thoroughly love it. I guess my vision is coloured due to the fact that I stayed in this hotel when I was in NYC in 2001. We had a room on the 40th floor Amex Level and the views of the Huson River were awesome to say the least. I enjoyed everyday there and the staff were great.

I do think the pool and gym complex is rudely given over to commercial pursuits however and I expected the heated pool to be warm and relaxing - far from it... more like a public pool (nothing like it used to be in pictures). For a hotel of this calibre I'd rather see the pool and facilities still made available for guests to enjoy themselves rather than me having to dodge the gym junkies frequenting it.

·
Banned
14,131 Posts
Odd looking building. It's slim, and the shape is quite nice, but I don't like the colour. The base and entrance to the tower is great though, and it's obviously in a cool location.

·
User
5,634 Posts
6.5/10...Nothing special, you'd probably not notice it even if it wasn't in Times Square. The concrete is alright, it's the color of the glass used on the rest of the facade which makes that combo together look bad.

·
Uncle Frank
17,528 Posts
This building brings me a lot of memories. I was personnally involved with the curtainwall design, fabrication and installation.

We engineered in Miami all the glass and glazing for this building but I never got to see the final product. I would like to visit it one day :cheers:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts