Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
A Cruise Liner Terminal update to go before the Cabinet next Friday - http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk...pplementary Projects - Progress Update M5.pdf

Mostly it covers what we already know, such as the current land and river surveying that is underway.

The report also deals with the cruise liner terminal hotel, which it confirms will be on Plot 11, directly opposite the new terminal. It also states they are looking for it to be 200 rooms, upscale, and will be similar to the Pullman at Kings Dock, and the forthcoming Paddington Village hotel in that it will deliver a regular return to the council. The report also suggests they want to sign a 25 year franchise agreement and a 10-15 year operator agreement for the hotel.

Less detailed, but the report also covers the proposed cruise liner terminal MSCP. It confirms the proposed 1800 vehicle capacity. Interestingly though, although not explicitly stating the location like it does with the hotel, it does state further down -

The Cruise Terminal Hotel, and the Multi Storey Car Park will see further early development of sites at Princes Parade and Great Howard Street, which will see further momentum to the development of Liverpool Waters, Ten Streets, and North Docks areas.
That seems to indicate the MSCP will be on Great Howard Street. Probably not a bad idea as 1800 spaces means a big structure in terms of height or footprint or both. Together with the fact the MSCP's are not attractive at the best of times, keeping it off Princes Dock, but still close enough to fulfill its purpose (made easier by the proposed Leeds Street extension), sounds like a decent idea.

·
Registered
9,274 Posts
A Cruise Liner Terminal update to go before the Cabinet next Friday - http://councillors.liverpool.gov.uk...pplementary Projects - Progress Update M5.pdf

Mostly it covers what we already know, such as the current land and river surveying that is underway.

The report also deals with the cruise liner terminal hotel, which it confirms will be on Plot 11, directly opposite the new terminal. It also states they are looking for it to be 200 rooms, upscale, and will be similar to the Pullman at Kings Dock, and the forthcoming Paddington Village hotel in that it will deliver a regular return to the council. The report also suggests they want to sign a 25 year franchise agreement and a 10-15 year operator agreement for the hotel.

Less detailed, but the report also covers the proposed cruise liner terminal MSCP. It confirms the proposed 1800 vehicle capacity. Interestingly though, although not explicitly stating the location like it does with the hotel, it does state further down -

That seems to indicate the MSCP will be on Great Howard Street. Probably not a bad idea as 1800 spaces means a big structure in terms of height or footprint or both. Together with the fact the MSCP's are not attractive at the best of times, keeping it off Princes Dock, but still close enough to fulfill its purpose (made easier by the proposed Leeds Street extension), sounds like a decent idea.
Where on Great Howard Street? will this mean shifting the car show rooms near the junction with Leeds St? or finally infringing onto the wasted Costco and Toys R Us space?

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^

No idea. That's what makes it intriguing.

Looking at an aerial image of the area doesn't show many options. Outside of the car showrooms and Costco sites you mention, the only other one that would seem to offer the required space and be within acceptable walking distance of the terminal is the Merseybank Probation Service site, to the immediate north of the Williams Mini showroom. It sits on a large plot, but is a small-scale building, so they could be relocated relatively easily. The size of the plot would allow them to get in 1800 spaces, without resorting to an overly prominent building, which means it could remain relatively hidden behind the existing tree line along that stretch of the road. I've no idea whether this is the site they are eyeing up, but it does have the potential.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
As a vacant site of a decent size it's possible, and as bluesnapper notes, by being further along it could be used additionally for parking when Everton's new stadium is up and running. However, it might be a little too far away from the new cruise terminal. That far along and other city centre car parks are likely to be chosen in preference by visitors due to proximity, thereby undermining the point of building it as the dedicated cruise terminal car park.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
^^ is the empty plot of land opposite Stanley dock that has the railway arches on its eastern edge on Great Howard Street? It's been To Let for an age it seems? Great Howard St

https://goo.gl/maps/fBoxLCwevv72
I've always assumed that was mothballed for a new train station. Could serve both purposes, perhaps? It's big enough. A bit of step to the cruise terminals but don't they lay on courtesy buses for that kind of thing?

·
Registered
9,588 Posts
Could be a nice novelty but people can generally walk faster than a canal boat, partucularky since there'd be at least one lock to navigate.
Now if they could fit a bar on with the potential of selling curry and chips then it maybe a goer....

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Has there been a discussion of the transport potential of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal serving the stadium?
Certainly, for people who only live within a couple of miles north of the site of the proposed new stadium, it would be a very pleasant walk. I do believe there is a barge that takes fans to Old Trafford on a match day. You'd get off the towpath on Boundary Street, I should imagine. There is at least one barge I've seen on our stretch of the Leeds-Liverpool which takes passengers. It would be a nice quirky way to get to the BM, if it gets built.

On another note, is there a thread for the canal? If not, maybe there should be one.

·
Banned
6,090 Posts
What's the current plan for Gibraltar Row? That migjt not be a bad place for an MSCP, tucked against the Great Howard Street wall and hidden from the waterfront by new buidlings on along Bath Street / Waterloo Road. Depending on height, they could even plonk some other function on the upper floors with an entrance from Great Howard Street.

·
Registered
12,129 Posts
Has there been a discussion of the transport potential of the Leeds-Liverpool Canal serving the stadium?
I sincerely hope not. Canals, for any form of transport, other than leisure, fell into obsolescence when steam, for locomotion, was invented.

A ferry service between the Wirral side of the river and the Bramley Moore quay would be a good idea, but not a good investment. The use would be limited to match days and other events at the Stadium (when built).
That would include, of course, an onion bargee :)
Who would sell the "bhajia" the Bargeeman?;)

·
Registered
12,129 Posts

·
Registered
2,680 Posts
Another MSCP seems a real waste of valuable space. Joe, again, with his only priority being to make money. He's happy to sacrifice anything or any principle in pursuit of this goal.

The council is going to manage a hotel. Makes me nervous.
Strictly speaking, the franchisee will manage the hotel. The same deal as the Pullman I would imagine. Can't see a problem with that.

An MSCP for a 3500 capacity terminal is also needed, especially, if you're hoping for turnarounds and based vessels rather than just day visitors. Coach drop-offs aren't enough for such a substantial facility, I would have thought - Bogeyana would know better than I though on that subject. To my knowledge the location has not been finalised but it's not on Princess Dock.

I think on this occasion we can let poor Joe off without a bashing, especially as a former seaman, he's been very motivated from the start to make this facility happen.

·
Registered
16,286 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The Cabinet report suggests the new MSCP will be somewhere on Great Howard Street, although we're not sure exactly where, so it won't take up valuable space at Princes Dock.

As Zanderdad notes, the hotel will be the same as the Pullman at Kings Dock, where a dedicated operator runs it, but the council as the owner of the building sees a return from that operator, either up front or on an annual basis. It's worked so well for the council that as well as Princes Dock, the proposed hotel at Paddington Village will also operate under the same principle.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.