Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
3,205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Half way to rebuilding London's glass palace
Apr 11 2006
http://icsouthlondon.icnetwork.co.u...building-london-s-glass-palace-name_page.html

A HISTORIC glass palace could reappear on the capital's skyline by the end of the decade.

An architect who has dreamed of putting the crystal palace back into Crystal Palace Park for the past nine years says his vision is moving closer to becoming a reality.

Ray Hall says he has secured £30million from an anonymous private donor, which is half the cost of the £60m project.

His aim is to have the palace built by 2010 to coincide with the opening of the planned extension of the East London line from New Cross Gate to Crystal Palace.

If it is completed by the deadline it would also be ready two years before London hosts the Olympic and Paralympic Games.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Very interesting idea, good find.

Yesterday, I just so happened to be reading about the proposals for redevelopment at Crystal Palace Park(click here to read) and this replica would indeed be a stunning centrepiece. I think costs are a major consideration with the proposals, but if private investors are happy to contribute then this might well be a catalyst to the regeneration.
Thinking of moving to this area so might get in quick before prices rocket!!

·
Registered
6,457 Posts
surely they would have to make the rebuilt crystal palace safer and less likely to burn down than the old one!

i think it would be an excellent idea and one that would gain international attention. another good idea might be to have a london branch of the Eden Project next to the old Crystal Palace, now that would be truly amazing.

the wilkinson eyre proposal on the other hand - bleh.

·
Registered
11,256 Posts
Oh yes please! Been gutted since a child that it burned down before my time. Wish theyd rebuild the Tate Tower in Glasgow that was dismantled during the war as it was such an obvious landmark.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
Crystal Palace was the milenium dome of the victorian era. The second fire burnt down a delapidated unused stucture that had already lost its eastern wing in a previous fire. The wilkinson eyre one is much better.

·
Registered
7,585 Posts
The UK seems to have quiet a few lost iconic buildings, either due to lack of forsight or economics...

http://www.skyscrapernews.com/lost_wonders.htm

, very sad really as if people had the courage and money alot could be rebuilt and i'm sure would be as popular today as they were then.
I agree with the rebuilding of the crystal palace and yes a huge greenhouse / botanical garden would make alot of sense in this area.
That with the new sports centre in the park it would be a great place to visit.

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
If there is £60m to be spent on a botanical garden I'd rather have a modern 'Eden Project' style one. Also raising £30m for building it so far is impressive, but who will pay for the far less sexy running costs of a few million per year? Who will buy back the land that the crystal palace transmitters sit on? Where does the bus station go? The Victorians tried to think up stuff to put in it for about 80 years. There were botanical gardens, a concert hall, an aquarium....loads of stuff and none made money. It's the same as the Dome, what do you put in the thing!

·
Registered
18,919 Posts
It should certainly be rebuilt authentically. This building is one of the wonders of the modern world! It had the same stature as the Eiffel Tower for goodness sake and we just let it disappear after the fire. It wouldnt take that much effort to rebuild it, it didnt take the Victorians that long and this was a new building method for them! You could fill it with anything, botanical gardens, innovative open office space/retail,

·
Registered
467 Posts
From the full story:

"This crystal palace would be a quarter of the size of the original one with the same proportions.

Doesn't fill me with confidence. At a quarter of the size of the original, it's gonig to have none of the impact the 1854 palace did.

I agree we need to see a render of the project before final judegment is passed as those images at the top of the thread are of the original, unless men on horseback are part of the deal. ;) :)

·
Registered
2,335 Posts
^^^^^^
ewwwugh. That sounds like rubbish with a capitol c, r, a and p. What kind of nut would waste £30m of their own money on such an embarrasement?

Just what is the point in that! A quarter size, ha ha. Why don't we have a quarter sized tower bridge too while we're at it! The Wilkinson Eyre one is so much better. It would be achingly fashionable architecturally, offer superb views enhance the park area and add a cultural icon to South London visible from miles around.

This has to be a joke.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Hold on... £60m for a dinky-toy version of the Palace?! The WE project was priced at £45m in 2003. 3 years on, with inflation and all wouldn't it be somewhere around the £60m figure maybe?...

Surely much better value for money!

:cheers:

1 - 20 of 39 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.