SkyscraperCity banner

61 - 80 of 468 Posts

·
The Sky's the Limit
781 Posts
I wish people would stop being bored and nagging over every little aspect they can find like size of adverts, which newspapers, etc.

I mean this is a positive thing for CT and the country as a whole!! There is no argument there. I mean who cares if the is a bit of "haze" over servitude's, etc, I'm mean get a life.

How about being proactive towards the upliftment of CT infrastructure, job creation, economic stimulation, etc and stop your negative, crappy attitude trying to stop a positive thing!!

It just boggles me........

·
Registered
380 Posts
This is 100 times cleaner than any ANC project.All the attacks on the CTICC expansion have been politically motivated and so far all these onslaughts have failed to torpedo the undertaking because these charges were based on political interests and not legal ones. In politics there is very often smoke where there is no fire.The so-called "administrative error" was very quickly rectified and has had no bearing on the actual construction process.Corso "street"(if one can even call it that) is a street that was never used and which no one knew even existed.The ACDP's Haskin is clutching at straws - as he has done many times before - to delay or destroy this project and he has been instrumental in encouraging others to also "take on" the DA-run Council. Politics is a dirty game and the ACDP know how to play it (and they call themselves "Christians"!).

·
South Straddie QLD
10,887 Posts
and drum roll…. the hysterical cape mafia jumps into action to defend something. Instead of acknowledging this has not been handled well and could be better its time to attack anyone not stary eyed about something in Cape Town.

No one said its not a great project for the city, country and all of the above. No one said the ANC would do a better to worse job with it and YES guys little details matter even for things as servitudes as there are laws and rules to follow. No one said its politics and for someone in Construction with a national company to say thing that Hazy issues around relaxations (which go all the way to the SG and are legally binding rights ) are ok is boggling.

guys take a step back and see the trees in the forest, yes its great blah blah blah but its not perfect. Shoudlent you strive for perfection instead of accepting 80% and then blaming everyone else instead of blaming those in power who created this mess and hold them accountable and to a higher standard????

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
and drum roll…. the hysterical cape mafia jumps into action to defend something. Instead of acknowledging this has not been handled well and could be better its time to attack anyone not stary eyed about something in Cape Town.

No one said its not a great project for the city, country and all of the above. No one said the ANC would do a better to worse job with it and YES guys little details matter even for things as servitudes as there are laws and rules to follow. No one said its politics and for someone in Construction with a national company to say thing that Hazy issues around relaxations (which go all the way to the SG and are legally binding rights ) are ok is boggling.

guys take a step back and see the trees in the forest, yes its great blah blah blah but its not perfect. Shoudlent you strive for perfection instead of accepting 80% and then blaming everyone else instead of blaming those in power who created this mess and hold them accountable and to a higher standard????
Agree 110%

·
Registered
28,982 Posts
where there is smoke there is fire. This has been a bit of a joke considering its the DA controlled city and province. due processes never followed, CTICC CEO axed, Public protector advising on maladminstration, Lukkie court case, Architects court case, and its always "administrative error" blamed.

This is such an iconic and important development for Cape Town , one would have thought it would be squeaky clean and follow process to the letter of the law and most importantly be extremely transparent and open to public scrutiny, all of which have been criticism of the process to date from design selection to poor public participation.

Sad considering its the public purse thats paying for this all
Correct. Even for those of us who willingly look for information and means to participate.

·
Registered
380 Posts
In a letter to the "Cape Argus" of October 7 in response to an article titled "Legality of CTICC construction scrutinised" (published September 30),Julie-May Ellingson,the Chief Executive of the Cape Town International Convention Centre wrote as follows :
"The CTICC has not acted outside of the law as implied in the article headline.All work being done on site is in line with the Certificate of Temporary Closure of Public Servitude Right-of-Way,issued on July 28 this year.In terms of these certificates,the CTICC was granted permission to commence excavation work on Erven 245 & 246.As is the norm,the public have been restricted from accessing the site for safety reasons.As far as the expropriation of the existing servitudes is concerned,the work currently being undertaken will not in any way inhibit any future public right-of-way should the expropriation of existing servitudes not be granted.The CTICC has,and will continue, to operate within the confines of the law,and in the best interests of the city and the province".(End of letter).The heading of this letter is : "CTICC will continue to act within the law".So there you have it and it goes without saying that I agree 120% with Ms.Ellingson.

·
The Sky's the Limit
781 Posts
In a letter to the "Cape Argus" of October 7 in response to an article titled "Legality of CTICC construction scrutinised" (published September 30),Julie-May Ellingson,the Chief Executive of the Cape Town International Convention Centre wrote as follows :
"The CTICC has not acted outside of the law as implied in the article headline.All work being done on site is in line with the Certificate of Temporary Closure of Public Servitude Right-of-Way,issued on July 28 this year.In terms of these certificates,the CTICC was granted permission to commence excavation work on Erven 245 & 246.As is the norm,the public have been restricted from accessing the site for safety reasons.As far as the expropriation of the existing servitudes is concerned,the work currently being undertaken will not in any way inhibit any future public right-of-way should the expropriation of existing servitudes not be granted.The CTICC has,and will continue, to operate within the confines of the law,and in the best interests of the city and the province".(End of letter).The heading of this letter is : "CTICC will continue to act within the law".So there you have it and it goes without saying that I agree 120% with Ms.Ellingson.
Beaut - good for her, I support her 120% as well!!! The official tender for the main building is out and it looks amazing and is going to be such a brilliant addition to that part of town, not to mention the ongoing economic stimulus it will give us!!

Here's to all you negative on-lookers.....go find something else to nit-pick on!! :nuts::nuts::nuts:

·
South Straddie QLD
10,887 Posts
yip all those pending court cases and negative public protectors reports must be just a figment of the publics imagination. Ah and CTICC CEO being shown the door again just nothing and an inconvenience to the Cape rah rah brigade who are too blinded by their own inability to see the facts from the fiction.

take blinkers off okes and see that this has NOT been handled well to date and despite what Julie says the public protectors report showed maladminstration and massive conflicts of interest but i supose she is now also anti cape????

·
C A P E T O W N
3,061 Posts
In the spirit of healthy debate, please feel free to make comments without resorting to derogatory statements like...

Cape rah rah brigade who are too blinded by their own inability to see the facts from the fiction.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,887 Posts
In the spirit of healthy debate, please feel free to make comments without resorting to derogatory statements like...
OMG are we so sensitive we all have to be PC so we don't have tears.
WFF has happened to this place when one can't make a factual observation

·
C A P E T O W N
3,061 Posts
Sensitive?

Quite the contrary. Your opinions are more than welcome. And so are others.
But as I said, please make factual observations to your hearts desire without resorting to derogatory terms that seem to include all Capetonians that don't share your opinions.

·
Annman
6,936 Posts
Remember, your opinion does not a fact make. Unless it's proven in court or scientific fact, it remains opinion or allegation. So please act adult and don't resort to name calling... It only weakens your point.

·
South Straddie QLD
10,887 Posts
ahh like the publicly released public protectors report damming the process and calling it "maladministration", so if this is not fact what is?

Like wise 2 separate court cases (Lukie vs city and SATOA vs city) which are public facts again can't be facts can they?

What was I thinking referring to real live events that haven't been squashed by the Cape propaganda society .

Grow up kids and smell the coffee. Again i start its a good thing for CPT expanding CTICC , again i state its a great design (not that the public was allowed to see others and the scores ), but accept the fact the process was flawed, zero public participation and is currently in litigation plus had a damming public protectors report. these are facts kids and cannot be ignored no matter how much you think you live in Utopia and this shit doesn't happen in the Cape.

We are critical of your hypocrisy at pointing fingers at everyone else but when it happens on your door step you blame people like me for nit picking instead of holding your own people accountable and DEMANDING better. Your gaggle of silence on the matter of the flawed prices is deafening, so maybe the chorus of CApe defenders should retrospectively think that the more you defend the in defendable , the more people will find holes in things and be critical (of the process not the project). People like Mo are balanced and get where this is coming from

We are worse in Joburg and Durban but thats not the issue here so all chill out and accept criticism the same way you all throw it around . Banter is nothing new here and we have been at it since we started this forum all those years ago with some serious characters who got more emotional about things than you lot but who always stood firm on facts even if it was negative facts about Cape town.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Everyone was critical of the design process . I cant recall anyone that wasn't.

61 - 80 of 468 Posts