Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey sup guys, my first post on here and had a question for all you Chicagoans. I will hopefully be going to the Cubs game this Saturday vs. the Padres and was wondering the best way to travel. Should I park near Wrigley and walk or park else where in the city and take a train. After the game, we will be heading downtown. Please give me some insight and advice on how to do this the best way. Thanks

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Especially on weekend and night games its best to take the Red Line unless you want a lesson in futility or aggrevation then you can take your car. Or unless you want to burn money on parking.

It depends on where you are coming from in order to tell you where to catch the Red Line. If you are coming from a downtown hotel its best to either walk or take a quick cab to one of the Red Line stations nearest you and head north on the L. The red line on the way back will also take you back through the middle of downtown and nearest the places you likely will want to go.

Its easier to tell you exactley if you know where you know where you are going to start and where you want to end up.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Well, were driving from Fort Wayne, IN which is about a 3 and a half hour drive. Driving is about the only option of getting there unless we take the Amtrak in but that is highly unlikely. How does parking at Devry University work? Are there spots available? I also heard that there is a McDonalds across the street that you can park at. We will be getting there right when the box office opens so we will be getting there plenty early, almost three hours. Anymore advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Parking at DeVry is usually easy. I've gotten to the lot an hour before game time and found plenty of spaces. The CTA provides a nice shuttle, but I don't know if it even runs 3 hours before game time - like I said, I typically allow less time. After the game, though, you would need to return to your car and then DRIVE downtown and park there, which is never a very good idea.

Unfortunately, there's no real easy way that I know of for you to take the Red Line to the game, since you're coming from the south. We really need a park and ride garage at 95th... but off topic.

The only transit option I can see would be to park at one of the South Shore or Metra Electric stations, take the train downtown, and then transfer to the Red Line there (it's a short walk between stations). You might want to consider that, actually. Check the South Shore schedule to see if it fits into your plans.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Alright thanks guys, all this info really helped. Im still not sure what were gonna do but it shouldn't be too hard. I can't wait to go to Chicago, one of my most favorite places to go. Like I said, we live about 3 hours away so gettin up to Chicago makes nice weekend trips. BTW, this is my first Cubs game ever so I am really looking forward to it. Thanks a lot guys.

·
Urbane observer
1,549 Posts
The 154 bus from DeVry begins 3 hours before games and runs 2 hours after weekend games. It runs every 10-15 minutes. Or you can always ride the regular, non-express 152 bus on Addison Street.

CTA has a Park-n-Ride lot at Garfield on the Green Line. That's just a half mile east of the Dan Ryan. Transfer free between Green and Red lines at Roosevelt.

The garage at Two East Eighth, just steps from the Harrison Red Line subway station in the South Loop, appears to be $5 all day on weekends. Other good deals in commercial lots downtown aren't hard to find on a Saturday.

·
Registered
115 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Do you know if the 152 route runs any later than 2 hours after the game because we are interested in riding the train downtown after the game without taking the car and then riding back up to Addison and take the 152 back to Devry.

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
I remember once attempting to park at the Devry lots and we asked the guy if it is ok if we pick up our car two to three hours later because some of our group wanted to go out drinking after the game. I am not sure if they guarentee your car to not be towed if you leave it there long after the game but I could be wrong.

I would do what Mr.Downtown suggest and try to find either a public or pay fo a lot space near a Red Line train station. The Harrison Red Line stop sounds like a good idea since you will be doubling back downtown after the game anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts