SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm planning a visit to Chicago and would like to get a game in at Wrigley while I'm at it. Since I'll likely be visiting on the June 30 weekend where they're playing the White Sox it looks like I'll have to get some tickets off of one of these resale sites. It looks like StubHub is a decent site for this but before I get some tickets from there I was wondering if anyone can tell me if there are any really bad tickets not to get. I would rather not spend a limb or two on tickets so I was looking at some 500 level tickets that are in the $70-$80 range for that weekend. There are also standing room only for around $60.

Any tips on what to look out for while I'm at it? Thanks for your help.

·
Registered
478 Posts
As a Cubs fan I would usually tell you that a bad ticket is any ticket that is facing the field. If you get one of those tickets, you have to watch this pathetic team play.

But anyways, I would stay away from Terrace Reserved. They are more expensive then UD Box tickets, which is because its in the lower deck, but most of the seats in Terrace Reserve are below the Upper Deck overhang, and in many instances, you can't see much more then the field (The overhang would block the bleachers, the scoreboard, the beautiful surrounding neighborhood, etc). Also, there is a chance that you sit by or near a pole that blocks your view, sometimes of home plate! And note that only the tickets directly behind a pole are considered limited view, so you might still get stuck with a blocked view with a regular ticket.

The 500 level is Upper Deck Reserved. There is a chance you might have a similar problem with the Poles supporting the roof, but its not nearly as bad as Terrace Reserved. UD Reserved is underrated IMO, and if your not looking to spend a lot, thats probably your best bet. BTW, beware of StubHubs rediculous transaction fees. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the info, this helps a lot. I haven't used StubHub before so I'll look for the fees before I buy. I found some tickets on mtctickets as well, in the bleachers. They're a bit more (about $100) but I imagine they'd have a pretty good view so it'd be worth it?

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
Best bet is to make periodic calls the Cubs ticket office (once every few days maybe until day of game). They do re-release some tickets (even for big series) occasionally and me and my friends have occasionally gotten tickets that way.

That or go there in at least a few hours before the box office opens the day of the game (if it is for a Sox series) and stand in line for standing room tickets.

I for one will not contribute and pay money to the Tribune trust fund likey the rest of the year (maybe I will beak the rule once or twice). Instead I will go on the road to go see games instead of giving the Tribune my money to watch this pathetically put together team.

·
Jack-Of-All-Trades
1,391 Posts
Our family began sharing a season ticket in the Terrace Reserved last year.. Best seats I've ever had at Wrigley. They are right directly behind 1st base, and the pole is to the right, so the only thing that is blocked is Jacque Jones. Excellent view of the action.

There should be some seating charts that tell you where the poles are.. Try to get seats which are far away from the poles.

·
Banned
757 Posts
Dude just walk down to the ball park and by it on the street......believe you me I have done this many times.....and sometimes I have paid less the face

·
Registered
478 Posts
nomarandlee said:
Best bet is to make periodic calls the Cubs ticket office (once every few days maybe until day of game). They do re-release some tickets (even for big series) occasionally and me and my friends have occasionally gotten tickets that way.

That or go there in at least a few hours before the box office opens the day of the game (if it is for a Sox series) and stand in line for standing room tickets.

I for one will not contribute and pay money to the Tribune trust fund likey the rest of the year (maybe I will beak the rule once or twice). Instead I will go on the road to go see games instead of giving the Tribune my money to watch this pathetically put together team.
You do know that a portion of the revenue at visiting parks goes to the visiting team right?

You also know that the Cubs decided to copy the Sox and hold a "Cubs garage sale". Except instead of 100% of proceeds going to team charities like the Sox do, only "a portion" of proceeds went to Cubs charities. I swear I have no respect for that organization. If they tore down Wrigley and built a new ballpark in McHenry, it would be the greatest day in my life. Wrigley is the only reason we haven't won the World Series in 98 years.

·
Banned
757 Posts
^^^^Man you are stealing my line......I am a Cub fan and I have been saying for years....since all the Nimrods started invading.....that the best thing that could happen to the Cubs would be to blow up Wrigley......

........Go Sox....at least they play professional baseball

·
My Mind Has Left My Body
7,266 Posts
DeMaFrost]You do know that a portion of the revenue at visiting parks goes to the visiting team right?
Yea, I know. I think it is something like 10-20%. Much better then 80% and buying Tribune beer and hotdogs though.

You also know that the Cubs decided to copy the Sox and hold a "Cubs garage sale". Except instead of 100% of proceeds going to team charities like the Sox do, only "a portion" of proceeds went to Cubs charities.
Didn't know that 100% from the Sox went to the charities. That is way commendable. The Tribune are swine (at least the Cubs arm) and try to suck every last penny of what they can from the Cubs so I am not surprised. Scalping their own tickets, 2nd highest tickets in MLB, more and more advertising, hiring yes men commentators, and on and on. The day they sell the team will be the 2nd happiest day as a fan I could imagine (other then winnig the big one of course). I wish MJ, Oprah, or M.Cuban would make a serious offer to the team. Maybe after they put in their damn parking garage (ughhh) they will decide to sell.

I swear I have no respect for that organization. If they tore down Wrigley and built a new ballpark in McHenry, it would be the greatest day in my life. Wrigley is the only reason we haven't won the World Series in 98 years
Nah, don't buy into that at all. They have the 2nd highest MLB ticket price average, one of the best attendace numbers year in and year out, they own the stadium unlike most teams who lease. The problem is not Wrigley as much as it is a corporate mentality instead of an ego driven mentality shared by some owners ego's who depend on winning and losing. Nobody at the Tribune has any kind of emotional or personal ego attachment to the team.

·
Registered
430 Posts
It's funny this thread is here since I just was looking online for tickets to a Cub game this June. Unfortunatly the sticker shock got me. I paid $1 for bleacher bum seats back in 1969. I was only 10 at the time. We rode the bus to the park. I think it was 25 cents and 10 cents for a transfer. If we were lucky and the andy fran was nice, we would sneak down to the box seats that weren't being used.

With a wife and 3 kids, there's no way I'm spending $200+ for a baseball game. I'm not a big baseball fan, I don't watch on TV except for playoff games. I do love seeing game at Wrigley though, but things really have changed. Even back in the 80s, prices weren't this out of hand. Not sure exactly, but tickets were about 10 bucks.

·
Registered
159 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Looks like there's more resentment for the The Cubs than I realized, haha. I would still like to check it out once anyway, even with those sky-high ticket prices. I know it's not the same but here in Toronto you can see a game for not much more than $10, unless you go on $2 Tuesdays that is.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts