SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Banned
9,194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I realize that it is far easier and "neater" for WGN (or FSN or anyone else who broadcasts) to contractually make Cubs vs. Sox broadcasts the property right of one team or the other, but wouldn't we all be better served if these ball games were broadcast in a bipartisan way, a joint Cub/Sox airing with broadcasters from both teams? Instead of giving three games to the Cubs and three to the Sox, why not make these three joint games as far as the broadcasters go? For advertsising purposes, the games still could be divided between the two as would the camera crew. But in the booth, it would be a joint broadcast. The current broadcasts are a turn off for half the fans and the fun of a joint broadcast would truly make these games special.

·
Registered
469 Posts
^ They tried that before edsg. Back when interleague first started, and was still a fun novelty, they tried the "mixed booth" with a blend of Cubs/Sox announcers. It seemed appropriate at the time since interleague was this new, fun adventure between the two clubs that was basically once step up from the old "Crosstown Classic" they played for charity.

Now, I don't think you can get away with it. How would a mixed booth have handled the fight last weekend? In fact, that game was on Fox, which delightfully included Darrin Jackson in the booth with Thom Brenneman, so it was basically a Sox broadcast anyways.

If you remember, the solution from around 1999-2004 was to have the Cubs broadcasters on one channel (WGN, FSN), and the Sox broadcasters on the other. I didn't mind that approach. Last year, they decided to go to a format where the home team treats it like a home broadcast, and the visiting team takes the weekend off. Since you know that one game per series is going to be on national TV anyways, it really doesn't matter all that much.

·
Registered
838 Posts
^^I don't know why they got rid of that format of having the game on 2 channels, so each team could have a broadcast. It worked well. Anyways, I'm not so sure how much I'd enjoy a bipartisan broadcast.

·
born again cyclist
3,671 Posts
mute the TV and turn up the radio. that's what i always do anyway so that i can enjoy the complete off-the-wall insanity of santo.

·
Registered
478 Posts
XCRunner said:
^^I don't know why they got rid of that format of having the game on 2 channels, so each team could have a broadcast. It worked well. Anyways, I'm not so sure how much I'd enjoy a bipartisan broadcast.
They did that last weekend. Cubs broadcasters did the game on WGN Friday, Sox announcers on CSN. Saturday the game was on Fox (neutral, or supposedly neutral announcers), Sunday the Sox were on WGN, Cubs on CSN.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Wasnt it Tom and DJ on fox when they had the game on regular fox? I thought that was awful and should never be tried again.

I rather have at each other respective houses they should have the home team broadcasting.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts