Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've noticed this a lot between many programes on Irish TV, as well as trips down the country, what on earth is it all about? There is a seemingly huge fan base for American Country and Western music in Rural Ireland, and I've been interested as to where this all started. Did it begin in the 1950s and 1960s with the advent of Cowboy films, or is there some other explanation?

More perplexing are the fellas from say Kerry or Clare that you would think without hearing them speak, that they hailed from Kentucky or Colorado USA.

Culchies sure do love their Cowboys.

·
Banned
8,544 Posts
I've noticed this a lot between many programes on Irish TV, as well as trips down the country, what on earth is it all about? There is a seemingly huge fan base for American Country and Western music in Rural Ireland, and I've been interested as to where this all started. Did it begin in the 1950s and 1960s with the advent of Cowboy films, or is there some other explanation?

More perplexing are the fellas from say Kerry or Clare that you would think without hearing them speak, that they hailed from Kentucky or Colorado USA.

Culchies sure do love their Cowboys.
Country music tends to be liked by people from the country! :)

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
Culchie love affair with American Country & Western?

But didn’t rock a billy and country not take its roots from Irish trad and a few other European countries trad music? Isn’t it derived from European folk including Irish? My point being Irish trad isn’t a million miles away from American country.

·
Registered
567 Posts
Yup! Rural Ireland's love affair isn't a strange copy of American culture. Its so popular because American Country, and its culture is a derivative of Irish Trad.

Tennessee and its cities Memphis and Nashville, the big country music centres, were settled by Ulster Scots' / Scots-Irish. Belfast today is twinned with Nashville. So lots of connections, and not too odd once you know.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts