Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am seeking a debate on western born and asian born of whom have come across conflict traditions and customs

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Q1) what are your thoughts on traditions? in regards to equal talking rights amongst people such as in aus we call the pm abbott and in kh techo or okhna

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
i want to know my us khmer people who are so poor in western countries namely US, Canada, Aus, NZ, just love to go to Cambodia acting like they are so rich, great, smart. where in fact 70% of are so poor here and struggle just to have the basics yet they come to cambodia every few years and just keep spending and enjoying? :wtf:

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
i have noticed a trend in terms of relationships but i think it has got to do with culture,

look at this in a line the further away they are the less likely theyll get along dont even say get married.

this is more like a stereotype but not meant for any discrimination just a generalisation,
(1-international students)<-> (2-FOBS, asian-born)<-> (3-Locals/ABC)<-> (4-the main ethnic group(aussies/americans/canadians etc)<-> (5-indigenous)

if this does happen out of the generalization they sure do love each other much(true love enough if they get married)

1 with 2 is common, 2 with 3 is common, 3 with 4 is common, 4 with 5 is common, 2 with 4 is also common enough
but the rare thing is, 1 with 3 (i think its language and culture problem), 1 with 4 is a real problem
1 with 5 i have never seen such so I cant say
2 with 5 i have seen and they do get along if married
i have not seen 1 & 3 yet but im sure there are

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
the cultural stance for example i dont believe in marriage, also i talk to all in the same unbias way how ever theres that "you have to talk lower than your elders thingy"

·
A Modern Architect
1,075 Posts
Oh I see. Well my family here has adapted to the western lifestyle so they allowed me to do many things freely and they are open minded about many things. Some things though I have to do is "Sampeah" the elders and people that you respect.

This is a whole different story though when I was in Cambodia meeting some of my family who were from the royal family.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
1 thing i have never been able to convince them is that people should be unbias instead they insist that if im older i can hit you, you cant, if they can tell you off i cant, also they you that

stupid "okhna thingy", "samdach", "akettredbandet", "jom teav" thingy im not used to id probably swear at someone as a greeting, which is my towns norm, i cant do that with non-local borns they get offended and will hate you for ever

fob/imports/asian-borns and international just dont understand connotations its no the words but the tone and structure of the wording, mind you they have bad grammar

e.g
local: i got a job
fob: good for you

·
A Modern Architect
1,075 Posts
1 thing i have never been able to convince them is that people should be unbias instead they insist that if im older i can hit you, you cant, if they can tell you off i cant, also they you that

stupid "okhna thingy", "samdach", "akettredbandet", "jom teav" thingy im not used to id probably swear at someone as a greeting, which is my towns norm, i cant do that with non-local borns they get offended and will hate you for ever

fob/imports/asian-borns and international just dont understand connotations its no the words but the tone and structure of the wording, mind you they have bad grammar

e.g
local: i got a job
fob: good for you
We don't use words "okhna thingy", "samdach", "akettredbandet", "jom teav" in the west here, only in Cambodia have I ever used those words. In fact we laugh about it when someone tries to call my family those words in Canada. We take it serious though when were back in Cambodia; its weird.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
http://www.businessinsider.com.au/h...l&utm_source=facebook.com&utm_campaign=buffer

Here Are The Countries That Smoke The Most Marijuana
PAMELA ENGEL TODAY AT 7:39 AM BOOKMARK 7
A recent United Nations report on drug use reveals drug trends around the world, including which countries have the highest rates of cannabis use.

The United States, Canada, Nigeria, and Australia rank the highest, with over 10% of the population over age 15 admitting to using the drug.

Western European countries also see fairly high rates of marijuana use, but did not rank in the highest category.

Although much of America’s pot comes from Mexico, the southerly country has a surprisingly low rate of use, according to this data.

mary jane use in the world

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
cambodia is the highest in the world for mary jane

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
http://www.australiantimes.co.uk/ne...ffective-in-preventing-pregnancy-and-stds.htm

Australia to produce condom effective in preventing pregnancy and STDs
While the AIDS 2014 conference kicked off in Melbourne this week, breaking news is that an Australian company developed a condom that will offer real protection against unwanted pregnancies and STD’s including the HIV virus.

By Estelle Vosloo on 25 July, 2014 9:23 am in News in Australia / no comments

shutterstock_162815369

A condom containing a specialized solution that kills the organisms responsible for the development of sexually transmitted diseases, like herpes, human papilloma virus and HIV on contact, will be produced in Australia.

In a media statement Peter Carroll, president of Ansell, said, “Consumers can expect to see the ‘ground-breaking new sexual health’ product on the shelves soon.”

Ansell is the Australian company that will sell the condom.

The condom will contain a specially developed solution of 0.5% concentrated solution of astrodrimer called VivaGel. The solution will also act as the condom’s lubricant.

VivaGel is said to bind the bacteria causing various STD’s and encouragingly is also effective against the HIV virus. Bind of the bacteria prevents those cells from interacting with normal body cells thereby illuminating the risk of transmission by as much as 99.9%

The VivaGel condoms are expected to be launched within the next few months.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^^ i post the last 2 articles here as i believe education is directly responsible for both

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
cambdoia has the 2nd highest rate of aids after thailand, burma is third, cambodians need education, besides that the world bank announced cambodia has a gang-rape epidemic

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cambodia[edit]
In Cambodia, rape is estimated by local and international NGOs to be common,[56] but only a very small minority of these assaults are ever reported to authorities, due to the social stigma associated to being the victim of a sexual crime, and, in particular, to losing virginity before marriage (regardless of how this happened).[57] From November 2008 to November 2009, police had recorded 468 cases of rape, attempted rape and sexual harassment, a 2.4 percent increase over the previous year.[58] Breaking the Silence – Sexual Violence in Cambodia is a report produced by Amnesty International, and released in 2010, which examined the situation of sexual violence in Cambodia. The report found that, in the small minority of rapes which are reported, a very common response is for law-enforcement officials, including police and court staff, to arrange extralegal out-of-court 'agreements' between the victim and the perpetrator (or their families), in which the rapist pays a sum of money which is shared between the authorities and the victim (and her family), after which the victim has to withdraw any criminal complaint against the perpetrator, and public prosecutors close the case. When a rape is investigated, a complainant is generally expected to pay an extralegal sum of money to the authorities, to ensure that the court investigates the case, otherwise progress is slow, and it may take over two years for anything to happen. During the pre-trial period, there is always a risk that the perpetrator’s family will pay a bribe to secure his acquittal or reduced charge.[59]
The UN reported results in 2013 from a study that they did in six Asia-Pacific countries about violence against women. 20.4% of Cambodian men said that they had raped a woman in their lifetime and 11.3% had raped in the past year. 3.3% had raped another man at some point and 23% had participated in gang rape, the largest percentage out of the nine areas surveyed. Cambodia was the only area where gang rape was the most commonly reported form of non-partner rape. 45% answered that sexual entitlement was their motive for raping a woman and 42% said they raped to punish a woman. 11.7% of rapists had raped 4 or more women. 52% first perpetrated rape as teenagers and 15.8% first did so under the age of 15. 44.5% of rapists experienced no legal consequences.[60]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rape_statistics

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
how do cambodian react to taboo in the 21st century

·
Home Energy Reactor
7,079 Posts
cambdoia has the 2nd highest rate of aids after thailand, burma is third, cambodians need education, besides that the world bank announced cambodia has a gang-rape epidemic
You know they are going to do it, they are too embarrass to buy a Condom, what are you prepare to do?

Can the culture accept give out condom in every guest house?

Can the culture accept condom vending machine in schools and uni?

I think all the toilets has condom vending machine in UNSW, and the Student guide has a box for anyone that wants one, for free.

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
this a cultural problem if you dont want your daughter pregnant instead of lock her in the house the retarded asian way just give a condom, its not hard and tell her to prepares "if it can happen it will happen but to who, who knows"

·
RAWR ROAR RAWR
4,458 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
UTS doesnt have free condoms nor do are there any vending machines sadly

1 - 20 of 31 Posts