SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
I own a PC computer
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hello everyone! I did a 2 weeks long trip in the US recently, so I obviously took a lot of pictures, all worthy of a trip report here :)

My destination was Iowa, in the middle of the country, but I also spent a weekend in Chicago, since it was the closest large city around. Anyway, I'm sure you'll find Iowa interesting as well, since not many people go there and visit it :)

Two busy weeks meant that there was not much time for tourism, but I managed to squeeze any free hour and go see something, so here's the plan:

1. Des Moines, IA
2. Iowa City, IA
3. Coralville, IA (my main location) + Amana Colonies & surroundings
4. Chicago, IL

I'll start with the (long as ****) trip to Iowa, composed of three flights. As always, your feedback is appreciated :)

·
I own a PC computer
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
^^
Pretty damn expensive :)

So, the long way to Iowa: I had to take 3 flights to the destination: a British Airways flight from Otopeni to Heathrow, an American Airlines to Chicago O'Hare and the last leg, Chautauqua Airlines (that's right) from Chicago to the Eastern Iowa Airport, Hair-Care and Tire Centre in Cedar Rapids, Iowa :lol:

Nice seats in the A320 British. Food, however, was inferior to the one Tarom is giving, at least in my opinion

·
I own a PC computer
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
London

The American Airlines B777 that was going to take me over the Atlantic (below). Now, a thing about flying to America. Never in my life have I been more controlled, checked, double-checked, verified than now, when I flew to America. It was getting almost ridiculous at some point. So it goes like this: Say you are at Heathrow, Terminal 3, and you go to the gate where your flight should depart from. First, security, as in any other airport. After that, you have to go to the American Airlines desk for further discussions. You get there and an Indian lady stops you half-way down the road: passport, boarding pass, how many luggages, do you have weird stuff inside them, did you packed them, why are you going to America, etc.

Then, you go to the AA desk, where a large Indian dude with a turban (a Sikh, I would presume) asks for your passport, boarding pass, and then asks you where are you going exactly, why, what's your address in the US, how long are you staying, is this your first time, purpose of visit, etc.

That goes well, so you proceed towards the gate, pass the useless airport shops in T3 (jewellery, perfumes, 2012 Olympics mascots, iPhones, but not much food except sushi and some donuts) and then the fun begins again: a lady asks for your passport and boarding pass. After that, an old Indian dude with rubber gloves smiles at you and says: "hello sir, this is just a simple routine procedure, please open your bag and leave it on the table, take off your shoes, than stand here with your arms raised." So he checks you don't have any AK47 or Rambo knives under your T-Shirt that the other dudes so far missed, and you finally go and take a sit in the waiting area for AA flights to America. Mind you, the waiting areas for flights to America are enclosed in glass walls, and you are warned that once you enter, there is no access to Toilets.

Eventually you get on the plane and you take off. I had seat 43F, which means right at the back of the plane, in the middle. So yeah, no pics of the Atlantic, Ireland, Greenland, etc :(

Before landing in Chicago, you fill in 2 forms to tell the US Government who you are, why are you going there, where are you staying, if you bring food with you, or fruit, animal products, etc, etc.
Once you land, you have to wait at a huge line for Immigration. The American citizens and residents also wait at a huge line, but it moves faster. Eventually, 2 and a half hours later, you get to the Immigration desk, where the US Border and Customs Protection officer asks for your passport and those two forms, and then asks, for the billionth time, why are you going there, for how long, where will you be staying.....

Then you have to take your luggage, clear customs, and go to the next flight, so I had to go through almost all this stuff again. Don't even get me started :lol:

·
Basarabia e Romania
18,432 Posts

·
I own a PC computer
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That's only S-East London :|
Yes, you are right. I didn't take pictures of the rest, I preferred to just stare at it :) Also, my mouth was wide open when we flew really, really low over Windsor Castle :drool:

Well, I'm waiting for the next round of cultural learnings.
Looking forward to the rest of the report :banana: :banana: :banana:
I know, I was out all day today, but I'll start posting as soon as possible :eek:kay:

·
I own a PC computer
14,284 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Des Moines

Des Moines is the capital and the largest city in the state of Iowa. There's not much to say about it, really, it has a very small "historic district" (by Iowan standards) and a small business district in downtown, with a handful of skyscrapers and highrises. I only went there because I had half a day to spare, it was relatively close (100 miles on Interstate 80) and since I was in the US for the first time, everything was interesting to me :)

801 Grand, the tallest building in Iowa (192 meters)

1 - 20 of 316 Posts