SkyscraperCity banner

1121 - 1132 of 1132 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts

Sorry for the speculation but since the new work on Askew Road, the only thing holding back a completely safe cycle route between Newcastle and Gateshead Council offices is 500m of protected cycleway on Market Street and Pilgrim Street in Newcastle. A complete cross city cycle route is not far away!

·
404 Posts
View attachment 473786

Sorry for the speculation but since the new work on Askew Road, the only thing holding back a completely safe cycle route between Newcastle and Gateshead Council offices is 500m of protected cycleway on Market Street and Pilgrim Street in Newcastle. A complete cross city cycle route is not far away!
I think as part of the 14-storey Bank House development the street outside will be improved, so that may cover the Pilgrim stretch at least.

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Dedicated cycleways in the Newcastle Gateshead core area are tosh.

Whatever happened to shared surfaces?

City centre's shouldn't have dedicated cycleways, this should be left for centre- suburbs- town to town. Segregating means of movement within a city centre just blocks freedom for pedestrians. Have we learned nothing?

Want to have a priority cycle lane where you can cycle as fast as you like? Tough luck pal. Motorists can't drive as fast as they like with no thought to pedestrian, so neither can you.

Look at the mess in John Dobson Street, and now Grey Street and Askew Road. Its cluttering up our centre and negating it as somewhere to walk or hang around. Businesses are struggling enough.

·
404 Posts
Dedicated cycleways in the Newcastle Gateshead core area are tosh.

Whatever happened to shared surfaces?

City centre's shouldn't have dedicated cycleways, this should be left for centre- suburbs- town to town. Segregating means of movement within a city centre just blocks freedom for pedestrians. Have we learned nothing?

Want to have a priority cycle lane where you can cycle as fast as you like? Tough luck pal. Motorists can't drive as fast as they like with no thought to pedestrian, so neither can you.

Look at the mess in John Dobson Street, and now Grey Street and Askew Road. Its cluttering up our centre and negating it as somewhere to walk or hang around. Businesses are struggling enough.
Surely shared spaces aren’t popular with pedestrians or cyclists. Segregated or protected cycling infrastructure protects cyclists from moving vehicles and/or parked vehicles whose doors suddenly open, and protects pedestrians from cyclists. Proper cycling infrastructure also means there will be proper crossing points with tactile paving, dropped kerbs etc. which is what visually impaired pedestrians need.

As for your personal opinion that John Dobson St etc is a “mess”, personally I think it looks so much better - new paving stones & fresh tarmac/markings, wider pavements, trees, less traffic sat idling, safe space for those cycling/scooting - much better than the previous dual carriageway chocking our city street.
Grey Street is looking better now it’s not being used to store empty private vehicles, and it will look better again as new street furniture & greenery is added and the temporary bollards replaced with permanent infrastructure.
Askew Road area does currently look a mess, I’ll grant you that, due to dug up areas, cones and temporary traffic signs everywhere. But from the new wider paving recently laid at the Wellington Street junction and the already reduced traffic levels it’s going to be so much easier & more pleasant to walk between the town & Bridges Quarter/Quays/Newcastle which is exactly what the area needs.

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
JDS seems like a waste of money, but I’d have to agree it looks better than it did before, and is more pleasant to walk around.

Nevertheless, as Haymarket is showing us, not to mention the utter disaster that is the South Gosforth roundabouts, I think we need to get used to looking at traffic cones and bollards for a long time to come. They might have them finished just in time for the next Pandemic/WW3 or something 🤣

·
404 Posts
Article from Newcastle City Council website.
Council to start work on changes to encourage greener ways of travel.

New measures to improve walking and cycling facilities will be installed on Osborne Road in the Jesmond area to encourage more people to walk and cycle in their local neighbourhoods.

The improvements on Osborne Road, from Lyndhurst Avenue to Sanderson Road, include a new signalised junction installed on Osborne Road at North Jesmond Avenue with pedestrian and cycling crossings, as well as segregated cycle lanes in each direction along a section of Osborne Road.

Raised footway crossings (kerb to kerb road humps) will also be installed on the adjoining side streets, making it easier and safer for people to cross and for pushchairs and wheelchair users to get around. This includes Newbrough Crescent, St George’s Terrace, Tavistock Road, North Jesmond Avenue and Back Osborne Road.

A Newcastle City Council spokesperson said: “Osborne Road is a busy residential area with many schools close by, so it’s a good location for safer and better walking and cycling facilities to encourage people to walk or cycle on local journeys, rather than driving.

“As well as the important environmental and health benefits we aim for, we’ve also addressed some issues with a new signalised junction to help people cross the busy road. Crossings like this are particularly important for those who have impairments with their sight or mobility.

READ MORE: Council to start work on changes to encourage greener ways of travel | Newcastle City Council

·
Registered
2,816 Posts
Surely shared spaces aren’t popular with pedestrians or cyclists. Segregated or protected cycling infrastructure protects cyclists from moving vehicles and/or parked vehicles whose doors suddenly open, and protects pedestrians from cyclists. Proper cycling infrastructure also means there will be proper crossing points with tactile paving, dropped kerbs etc. which is what visually impaired pedestrians need.

As for your personal opinion that John Dobson St etc is a “mess”, personally I think it looks so much better - new paving stones & fresh tarmac/markings, wider pavements, trees, less traffic sat idling, safe space for those cycling/scooting - much better than the previous dual carriageway chocking our city street.
Grey Street is looking better now it’s not being used to store empty private vehicles, and it will look better again as new street furniture & greenery is added and the temporary bollards replaced with permanent infrastructure.
Askew Road area does currently look a mess, I’ll grant you that, due to dug up areas, cones and temporary traffic signs everywhere. But from the new wider paving recently laid at the Wellington Street junction and the already reduced traffic levels it’s going to be so much easier & more pleasant to walk between the town & Bridges Quarter/Quays/Newcastle which is exactly what the area needs.
I think it is important to discern a cycling strategy between centre and suburbs.

The city centre should help cyclists by having a 20mph limit (with obvious exceptions), cars should be going slow enough to not have to segregate cyclists away from them. This should be absolute 'core' city centre, say Quayside/Graingertown/Uni areas and Quays/Bridges Q on Gateshead side. I accept it would be helpful in the more 'trafficy' orientated penetrations of the centre where cyclists are going in same direction- Haymarket, Scotswood Road, Gateshead TC, then a cycle way would be essential, and visually be linked up to the already cluttered road junctions and so on.

JDS is arguably better yes with cycleway, than the absolutely hilarious dual carriageway. I guess JDS is flawed in being an incomplete part of a naive exercise in segregation anyway. Neither the dual carraigeway, nor the cycleway actually go anywhere. Personally, I think JDS south of Ellison Place/Saville Row should have been narrowed by letting future development of Laing (giving it a frontage to mirror library) or NBS for any future EPS development too.

Askew Road I guess is part of the ongoing existential crisis that is Gateshead Town Centre. Fundamentally, I believe that West Street should be the cycle route, and cross Askew Road as whatever junction it should be.

What i'm denigrating about cyclists in the centre, conversely, I think cyclists should have their own dedicated routes that actually link up and people know not to walk on at all. But the linking up bit is key. If you are a cyclist, you need continual movement, not stop/start bit of cycle lane here and there (thanks to a random section 106 there, govt pot of funding grant there) which frustrates and confuses.

Tyneside is not the most conducive 'velo city', but the key really is to enact design that links up and actually provides a serious piece of infrastructure to let good folk have a healthy and easy means of navigating the place, not an endless set of uncoordinated PR moves by local govt, paid for by tick box policy funding packs, that clutter our city centre ever more without any genuine thought.

·
Registered
20,504 Posts
Hills St/Wellington St/Askew Road bus link/West St etc, Gateshead - further pictures 05/09/20 Part 1 of 2

Some further pictures by myself from Saturday 05/09/20 approx 0915 & 1145 showing further views of the temporary cones etc and "permanent" changed traffic measures being put in place around north end of Gateshead

Prince Consort Rd/Askew Rd

West St/Askew Rd

Hills St/Bottle Bank/Tyne Bridge approach

More on following post

KEN

·
Registered
20,504 Posts
Hills St/Wellington St/Askew Road bus link/West St etc, Gateshead - further pictures 05/09/20 Part 2 of 2

Some further pictures by myself from Saturday 05/09/20 approx 0915 & 1145 showing further views of the temporary cones etc and "permanent" changed traffic measures being put in place around north end of Gateshead

Askew Rd bus link

Foot of West St

KEN

·
Registered
20,504 Posts
Improvements for cycling and walking in Gateshead, Council update 04/09/20

On Gateshead Council website article from 04/09/20

EXTRACT

Improvements for cycling and walking in Gateshead

Works update: Friday 4 September 2020

The works around Wellington Street junction with Askew Road are scheduled to be finished by week ending 13 September. Once the traffic signals have been connected we can reopen the pedestrian access to Gateshead town centre. The existing diversion will stay in place until then.

Road works at the bottom of Prince Consort Road are now largely complete. Traffic lights will be switched on at the same time as the Wellington Street traffic lights are commissioned which will mean this junction will then be fully operational.

There will be some road re-surfacing works to complete throughout this area this month, probably on the night of Monday, September 21. We'll have more detail on that in due course.

We estimate that work to install new kerbs and paving flags to close off the bottom of Hills Street to traffic will be completed by the end of September. This work is weather-dependent, however, and may over-run if we get any periods of inclement weather.

Full article, with more about the changes being made around Gateshead on Improvements for cycling and walking in Gateshead - Gateshead Council

EXTRACT

There will be significant environmental benefits from proposed works. Gateshead has a serious problem with air pollution generated by heavy traffic and the council has been required by the government to take steps to reduce vehicle use on Gateshead's roads.

These measures will therefore form part of Gateshead's contribution to the introduction of Tyneside's Clean Air Plan in 2021

AND

Other improvements

We are intending to improve cycle routes around the Metro Centre and Team Valley. Further details will follow shortly.

KEN

·
404 Posts
1121 - 1132 of 1132 Posts