Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Pijcie portera z BŁ!
18,201 Posts
Peak hours in Łódź:

Main street in the city is also the best bike route - cuts exactly through the city center:

[this film is not about bikes, It's promo of the street after modernization]

Generally 3-4 years ago I didn't have anyone to talk to at the lights. Now existing infrastructure is rather full. Every year the number of bikers is growing like nuts (but still - could be faster).

·
Banned
7,713 Posts
I like that in Europe and especially I noticed in Poland cyclists have their own lanes separated from traffic. Actually the first time I saw this luxury was in Copenhagen in the 90's. So much better than Canada/US where cyclists have to share the road with cars, quite dangerous especially when there are often parked cars and doors opening on the other side.

·
Pijcie portera z BŁ!
18,201 Posts
I like that in Europe and especially I noticed in Poland cyclists have their own lanes separated from traffic. Actually the first time I saw this luxury was in Copenhagen in the 90's. So much better than Canada/US where cyclists have to share the road with cars, quite dangerous especially when there are often parked cars and doors opening on the other side.
Actually bike lanes in Poland are the worst I know. I never had any dangerous situation on the read shared with cars, but I had already two crashes with cars that forced priority (in both cases police was required) on separeted bike lanes and countless similar sitiuations where I could stop before hitting the car.
Why is that? It's because in Poland lanes are so far away from road that drivers simply can't see or forget about bikers. This is extremely dangerous on intersections and side road exits.

The best way would be netherlands-like design - separeted, but not on intersections. But that would require bike lanes on both sides of the road, which of course is too much for cities in Poland.

Generally design is chaotic and dangerous, but on city-'highways' with multiple car lanes It's better then nothing.

In some cities there is a lot of bike lanes on the road, which is great for narrow streets in city centres, and should be used more often.
Like those in Łódź (very rare):

Here's another clip from bike traffic in Łódź:

·
Registered
852 Posts
Well Dutch design does not mix cyclist on intersections. 'Dutch design' tries to seperate cyclist and motorist as much as possible. This is achieved in a number of ways, but purposely mixing at intersections only happens in older designs. If you have some time, Here are some rather good blogs and websites on 'Dutch Design.' As far as I gather, the Danes do mix cyclist and motorists at intersections though.

Looking at your film, I think [a large part of] the problem is lack of awareness of the drivers to the cyclists. Part of which is probably due to education, and another part due to exposure. But a major part is also the infrastructure. While [based on the film and pictures in this thread] it does do a good job of seperating cyclists from motorists, most of it seems like just a paintjob on the pavement, which does not take into account the specific need of cyclists. Also, I think it would help to make priorities clearer, by for example painting the cyclepath across the intersection, or even elevating the cyclepath on a speedbump. this is a pretty good blogpost on the driveway incident in your video.

Still good to see so many people cycling (without helmets as well!) Is it just Łódź, or other cities as well?

·
Banned
7,713 Posts
Cycling is all the rage in Poland now. Infrastructure, designated bike paths and city bike rentals is improving rapidly and I'm even seeing bike traffic jams in Warsaw. Still a ways to Copenhagen, but getting closer. A lot of the problem is driving culture, drivers do not respect bike paths of sidewalks, but expensive parking violation tickets and education is helping, albeit slowly.

In Copenhagen the intersection problem was solved by giving cyclist priority for crossing, a special light for cyclists only.

·
Pijcie portera z BŁ!
18,201 Posts
Well Dutch design does not mix cyclist on intersections. 'Dutch design' tries to seperate cyclist and motorist as much as possible. This is achieved in a number of ways, but purposely mixing at intersections only happens in older designs. If you have some time, Here are some rather good blogs and websites on 'Dutch Design.' As far as I gather, the Danes do mix cyclist and motorists at intersections though.

Looking at your film, I think [a large part of] the problem is lack of awareness of the drivers to the cyclists. Part of which is probably due to education, and another part due to exposure. But a major part is also the infrastructure. While [based on the film and pictures in this thread] it does do a good job of seperating cyclists from motorists, most of it seems like just a paintjob on the pavement, which does not take into account the specific need of cyclists. Also, I think it would help to make priorities clearer, by for example painting the cyclepath across the intersection, or even elevating the cyclepath on a speedbump. this is a pretty good blogpost on the driveway incident in your video.

Still good to see so many people cycling (without helmets as well!) Is it just Łódź, or other cities as well?
I know what you mean - there is seperation in a way that ciclists still have their own paths. But those paths are right next to the road, so that a car can see you. In Poland there can be streets, where pavement is between bikes and cars :nuts:

Another thing is that Infrastructure is designed on both sides of the road. That can allow normal, ogical bike traffic organization - only one way on one side. In Poland, even on smaller streets designs usually contain 2-way path on one side of the road, so that on intersections drivers have to look both ways.

Of course, most of the drivers aren't used to bikes, but our bad infrastructure only makes things worse.

No, It's not just Łódź. Actually most of the big cities in our country already have bike share system (we will open ours next year) and more or less infrastructure. I would say Tri-city is most bike-friendly, but traffic is big also in Wrocław, Poznań, Warsaw, Kraków.

·
Registered
9,501 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Łódź? I don't know but what makes you think that? I usually hear about Gdańsk being the most cyclist-friendly city in Poland, but I have no statistics to support that.
Well, the above films show that in Lodz there are many people cycling, and there are some nice cycle paths...Why is considered Gdansk as the city with the best bike infrastructure? And how important is bike commuting there?

·
Registered
3,656 Posts
May 2013

Red - number of cycling paths in km
Blue - number of bicycles that can be parked in holders
Black - total number of roads

Left:

Number of bicycles paths in relation to the total road network

Right:

Number of inhabitants/1 bicycle holder

20% of roads in pro-cyclist Gdansk is 30 km/h, compared to 76% in Berlin

·
Registered
3,656 Posts

But the most users are evidently in Warsaw, 200.000 people using the city bikes regularly. But that's not a surprise given how big the city is. Though I'd say the infrastructure there is very good as well. But it is not only about cities, since there are hundreds of km's of freshly made bicycle paths around the country and others planned:

Fun fact: in 2013 Poles bought 1.28 million bicycles, which was a record. (950.000 bicycles are produced in Poland as well).

http://www.rownowaznik.pl/spoleczenstwo/wreszcie-dobre-wiadomosci-dla-cyklistow-w-polsce/

1 - 20 of 35 Posts