Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
852 Posts
Is cycling common in Romania? I was there a few years back (in Bucharest, Craiova, Sibiu and Brasov), and I can't remember seeing anyone cycling, or any cycle paths for that matter.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Well, Romania is not Netherlands (not even close I'd say). But cycling is more and more popular, especialy with young professionals or students in big cities. There are some bike paths, but not enough. If more bike paths would be build I'm sure more people would start cycling. The city of Cluj-Napoca is working at a bike-sharing system (ClujBike) which will be in use this or next year (the works for rent stations are almost done). I don't know for other cities, but at least in Cluj-Napoca or Oradea you can see many people riding bikes...Indeed, several years ago, there were way less.

·
Registered
852 Posts
^^ What is going on in that picture?

And what is the state of the cycling infrastructure in Cluj? Those pictures of Baia Mara and Bucharest, as well as the first picture of Cluj (from your 3rd post), look pretty decent. Is that the standard for new infrastructure, or is it more like the other pictures (i.e. painted lines on the sidewalk)

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
^^ What is going on in that picture?
They were a group of passionats of cycling going in trip to mountains.

And what is the state of the cycling infrastructure in Cluj?
There are bike paths in the center of the city, and in some neibourghoods. Unforunately except on one central boulevard it is ust composed by painted lines on the road or on the sidewalk. And many times drivers use it as parking space, or pedestrians walk on it...And is way less then would be needed in such a big city. The project of the new bike sharing system included some new higher quality bike lanes, but nothing was done so far (except of the bike sharing stations-which are not used yet, even if it was promised to be useble starting in 2013 lol)...

Those pictures of Baia Mara and Bucharest, as well as the first picture of Cluj (from your 3rd post), look pretty decent. Is that the standard for new infrastructure, or is it more like the other pictures (i.e. painted lines on the sidewalk)
Indeed, the newly build bike paths/lanes are decent, but there are very few of them, considering that they started to use this layout only recently. Vast majority of bike paths is just painted lines on the road/sidewalk. But things are improving.

·
Registered
9,471 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I must say I started to use my bike more often. It is still a long way to go, but at least there is hope for cycling in Cluj...

·
Registered
253 Posts
Still winter here in Cluj, but my mind is still in summer and I'm reviewing some pictures I took last summer which I will also upload here...

How about some external routes near Cluj where you can enjoy riding the bike on the side of the road? The Cluj surroundings are magnificient, but still it's very hard to ride the bike up these steep hills. Living in Gheorgheni neighbourhood, in the East of Cluj, I usually go on small trips riding my bike to the Borhanci neighbourhood, because a couple of years ago the road was repaired. Even if it's hard going up, it's great when you go down the hill. And the views of Feleac Hill and the panorama of the city from the church where Borhanci ends are splendid.

I also like the circuit of ***** Forest, starting either from Calea Turzii street, up the hill and going down to St. John road right through the forest and arriving in Manastur neighbourhood or reverse.

Besides, because the city has small and less crowded streets in the neighbourhoods, I also prefer cycling thorugh town. There are a lot of streets like this, with plenty of trees and paths between the blocks that can be such an adventure. I usually go around Gheorgheni, not forgetting about the Mercur (Detunata) Park or the Nicolae Titulescu's wide sidewalks. Other times, I prefer Manastur with the Mehedinti street or Parang street. Or maybe something longer, such as Taietura Turcului street, or up the hill from Donath street.

Bonus:

·
Registered
311 Posts
The newest bike path in Bucharest on Calea Victoriei is almost completely finished.

I counted 66 cyclists in 60 minutes, on a Friday evening, just at the end of rush hour. The temperature was actually not very bike-friendly (10 degrees, with a real feel of 4 degrees) so I'd say in the coming months the bike path will get more crowded..

As a mention, although the boulevard has been narrowed to make room for the bike path, the traffic was pretty fluent with just some minor queues
at the traffic lights...

·
Registered
852 Posts
It is rather narrow, isn't it? Is it just a foot path repurposed as bicycle lane?
The Bucharest one looks much better, nice, wide and very usable. Although there are a few issues with it too (the pylons in the centre of the path, the hard curb and posts on the side of the road reducing useable with of the path, and the crossings aren't optimaly designed).

1 - 16 of 16 Posts