SkyscraperCity Forum banner
1 - 20 of 316 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

This Parliamentary report is published today.

'The Times' has a summary sheet:

https://twitter.com/thetimes/status/327022731809939458/photo/1

There is a HM Government epetition:
https://submissions.epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/49196

This blog has a report, starting with this:
Join The Times and thousands of others telling David Cameron to start a cycling revolution today

Today sees the publication of the much anticipated Get Britain Cycling inquiry report. Over the past four months hundreds of hours of evidence have been submitted, pages of statistics compiled, all pointing to the same clear message: Britain's political leaders must act decisively to truly bring about a cycling revolution, with pressure today building on David Cameron himself.

The report opens with a bold and concise message that pulls no punches: "Too many people in the UK feel they have no choice but to travel in ways that are dangerous, unhealthy, polluting and costly, not just to their own wallets but also to the public purse. Urgent action is required to address Britain’s chronic levels of obesity, heart disease, air pollution and congestion...

There is an alternative. When more people cycle or walk, public health improves, obesity reduces and roads become safer. By changing how people travel, we can create places where people want to live, work, shop and do business. We can make people healthier, happier and wealthier. We can save huge costs to our NHS.

To realise the full potential of this vision will require a fundamental cultural shift in the way we think about the way we travel. Cycling needs to be not just a personal option, when we decide how to travel for work, school or leisure, but as a core issue when planning our streets, roads, buildings and communities."

http://ibikelondon.blogspot.co.uk/2013/04/join-times-and-thousands-of-others.html

·
Registered
2,714 Posts
Glad they're spending more. I cycle to the office space I work from in London 3 days a week (weather dependent) and despite cycling for years there's still some junctions I'm often forced to go on the wrong lane in by motor traffic, thus delaying my journey by about five minutes each time. There's something seriously wrong with road priorities when this happens all the time despite their being far more cyclists and private cars at rush hour.

The plans look good, but there needs to be more in about creating segregated bike lanes on any road with space (or taking a lane out to do so on wider roads). Without the feeling of safety this creates you won't get most people to consider cycling.

·
Registered
5,437 Posts
Hmm how weird, all the example pictures are Dutch!

I do wonder if there will be a congestion charge for eco-friendly bikes in Londen xD!

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
We like your cheese, as well.

There is a growing cycling lobby, which promotes "Go Dutch" for cycling in Britain. It wants successful examples of infrastructure to be copied here, and British highways engineers trained in the "new ways".

For instance, the London Cycling Campaign said:

Why we'd love London to Go Dutch...

We're calling on the Mayor of London to build continental-standard cycling infrastructure in the capital, so everyone has the freedom to cycle, whatever their route, and whatever their destination.

Most people are scared to cycle on London's roads because of the high volumes and speeds of motor traffic.

Some put up with inconvenient detours on minor roads but, more often, Londoners don't cycle at all.

Yet politicians and city planners refuse to dedicate space to cyclists because they're wedded to outmoded thinking that prioritises motor vehicles above all else.

When bike lanes or tracks have been installed, they've usually been poor quality, doing little to encourage more journeys by bike, often giving cycle lanes a bad name.

Solutions that work all over the city

In countries like the Netherlands and Denmark, high-quality infrastructure gives people the confidence and safety to cycle where they choose.

Here, some back street routes offer a degree of relief from the worst of London's motor traffic, but those routes are frequently indirect and disconnected.

Many journeys still require cyclists to navigate busy roads and major junctions, where they're likely to feel threatened by motor traffic.

Main roads are fast, direct, easily navigable routes that many Londoners want to use.

This is why our Love London, Go Dutch campaign calls for high-quality, continental-standard bike lanes on major roads in the capital.

Not just about main roads

There's also a pressing need for other roads – for example, residential and shopping streets – across Greater London to be made into areas that are suitable for families to live in comfort and safety.

Measures such as 20mph limits as well as removing or reducing through-traffic have already been implemented successfully in some parts of London, and should be much more widespread.

Traffic-calming measures not only help cyclist safety, but they also help protect people on foot from the dangers of motor traffic.

Separating cyclists from motor traffic on busy roads and at major junctions, along much more widespread traffic-calming measures are a proven way create a more liveable city for everyone.​

http://lcc.org.uk/pages/go-dutch

British and Dutch cycling policy started to diverge in the 1970s...

http://lcc.org.uk/pages/holland-in-the-1970s

Boris the Mayor has announced serious capital grants to 1 or 2 or 3 neighbouring outer-London boroughs, to spend money on intensive "Going-Dutch" infrastructure changes in a relatively small area, to act as a demonstrator project for the future.

That is why there is a lot of activity just now to grab the money, although the ground-rules of the 'competition' have yet to be released.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
We have Cycle underpases like the above on some major roads in Portsmouth, grade separated from pedestrian traffic. They genuinely work great, especially the one at Unicorn Gate which runs as an S bend in quite a long tunnel, fun!

·
Registered
299 Posts
Boris the Mayor has announced serious capital grants to 1 or 2 or 3 neighbouring outer-London boroughs, to spend money on intensive "Going-Dutch" infrastructure changes in a relatively small area, to act as a demonstrator project for the future.

That is why there is a lot of activity just now to grab the money, although the ground-rules of the 'competition' have yet to be released.
If Boris needs a demonstrator, he doesn't need to build one, or look abroad. Stevenage is only just up the road.

(Oh, and there's also Milton Keynes, though some would suggest that's more of a demonstrator of how not to do it).

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
If Boris needs a demonstrator, he doesn't need to build one, or look abroad. Stevenage is only just up the road.

(Oh, and there's also Milton Keynes, though some would suggest that's more of a demonstrator of how not to do it).

Yes, Stevenage:

"The sad tale of a cycle network innovator forgotten by the New Town he built"

Wide, smooth cycleways adjacent to main roads but separated from cars and pedestrians. Perpetually-lit, airy, safe underpasses beneath roundabouts.

Direct, convenient and attractive cycle routes designed not by car-centric town planners but by a transport engineer who cycled to work every day. Priority given to cyclists at intersections. Schools, workplaces, shops: all linked by protected cycleways.

Recreational bike paths to nature areas. Colour-coded sign-posting. Plentiful cycle parking in the town centre and at the rail station.

An urban cycle network lionised at global conferences and the subject of lectures, books and magazine articles.​

Stevenage was planned by Eric Claxton, a utility cyclist. Construction of the cycleway network was started in 1955 and was built at the same time as the primary road network. [Therein, of course, lies the problem with a city like London.]

...He had witnessed high usage of cycle tracks in the Netherlands and believed the same could be achieved in the UK.

Instead – to Claxton’s puzzlement, and eventual horror – residents of Stevenage chose to drive, not cycle, even for journeys of two miles or less.​

http://www.roadswerenotbuiltforcars.com/stevenage/

·
4,061 Posts
Haven't seen any discussion of this on here:

'Crossrail for bikes' set for London

London is to get a "Crossrail for bikes" as part of a £913m investment plan in cycling, the mayor announced.

The route is expected to open in 2016 and could run for more than 15 miles (24km) through the western suburbs, central London and Barking.

It will use a Dutch-style segregated cycle track along places like Victoria Embankment and the Westway flyover.

But only £300m is guaranteed until 2015 after which Mayor Boris Johnson said the government will review the funding.

Mr Johnson said although he was sure the government will see the "massive economic benefits" of the scheme, funding for all infrastructure projects will be reviewed by the government.

Full Story (and video) at: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-21697423
Image sources:
http://www.independent.co.uk/incoming/article8524162.ece/ALTERNATES/w460/cycling-Camden.jpg
http://www.independent.co.uk/incomi...RNATES/w460/v2Cycling-Victoria-Embankment.jpg

·
Registered
299 Posts

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Evening Standard:

"Scientists test radical ideas that could save lives on London’s roads"

Road safety experts have opened the doors to their research centre to show how they plan to adapt London to cope with the cycling boom.

Innovations include Dutch-style roundabouts prioritising cyclists; low-level traffic lights for riders; and hi-tech sensors attached to thousands of Boris bikes, to curb the rising number of collisions with HGVs.

A £2 million Transport for London project is examining where the measures — many borrowed from continental Europe — can be implemented to remove accident blackspots.

Scientists at Transport Research Lab-oratory, whose expertise has influenced laws on drink-driving and phone use in cars, have tested the measures using motorists and cyclists from London.​

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/lond...ould-save-lives-on-londons-roads-8597172.html

·
Sciurius Regalis
3,695 Posts
Is there anything that Government can do to encourage employers to provide showers and changing facilities for would-be cyclists?
Yes, Section L (if I remember correctly, can check my books later) planning orders can be put in place by local authorities demanding traffic management plans and appropriate facilities in order to put these plans in place as a condition for approving any new planning applications. They can't be applied retroactively but you can't point your arse out a window for a fart without planning consent so it wouldn't take long to catch them for something.

·
Registered
16,945 Posts
The Dutch have their own fair share of stupid bits though, to be fair.

What really irks me though, is how much of this crap would be UNACCEPTABLE for Cars, why are Bikes assumed to have lower standards?

Obstructing a road for Cars like this...

... is probably illegal. Yet it is ok for Bikes?

·
Registered
3,168 Posts
I'm pretty sure that your http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/February2009.htm has been identified as a fake, I remember seeing it before. And look at the location map on the link. There is nothing there...

Poor infrastructure does exist in the Netherlands, though little of it would be considered poor by our standards, and it is very much the exception. Standards of cycle infrastructure and street design are frequently improved, and upgrades are continually taking place. At the end of the day, their cycling rate speaks for itself. Have you ever tried it for yourself?

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
This is all pretty interesting but how long will it last? The majority of the new cyclists won't be cycling in 2 years as the legacy of the Olympics starts to die off and the government drag there heels and don't invest quickly enough in the infrastructure to keep them happy. All these grand plans will start to die, It happens everywhere Stevenage is a prime example.

I'm a cyclist myself as I use it as part of a wider scheme to keep fit along with a personal trainer, swimming, walking etc so I hope I'm wrong as holland is a dream place for someone like me!

What needs to be done is cyclists and pedestrians need priority and infrastructure improved until it gets to a point where it's easier to cycle than it is to drive. That's the only way to get most Brits interested in anything!

·
Registered
288 Posts
What needs to be encouraged is cycling locally to places like schools, local high streets, local workplaces and parks with the necessary infrastructure and build from that. We also need to get rid of this Bradley Wiggins image of cycling (Wiggo, don't worry we still love you!). There was an image used at the RIBA exhibition and a picture of cyclists at a set of traffic lights, all male and all geared up like the Tour de France. Not an image that should be used to help promote cycling to the shops.

·
UK86
194 Posts
I love my bike but I love my car too, I understand both points of view. Cyclists need separate lanes, so they don't obstruct traffic at junctions etc, but cars also need that space from cyclists. I think it's dangerous for both, a cyclist and a driver to be too close to each other on the road, buses have the most blind spots too.

Lets face it, the road was made for cars and not for cyclists. Work on improving infrastructure for cyclists and allow the roads to be more free for cars again. As a safe cyclist though I do not blame drivers for getting tetchy at times, because some cyclists do fly around like maniacs and pay little attention to what is happening around them. Ahem! Like riding through red lights.

·
Registered
7,202 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 316 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.