Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 427 Posts

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As we have a thread for private and public transport, I think we need a thread dedicated to new cycle infrastructure, as there's lots happening at the moment!

·
1,717 Posts
Nice idea starting this thread up Adam! Those cycle ways look awesome and that paving on Colombo street looks really nice as well, just missing some greenery unless those holes on the side of the pavement is where some trees are going? Are they going to make those Copenhagen style cycleways green like the rest, or are they just keeping them like that? Such a cool concept for Christchurch!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just missing some greenery unless those holes on the side of the pavement is where some trees are going? Are they going to make those Copenhagen style cycleways green like the rest, or are they just keeping them like that? Such a cool concept for Christchurch!
Yep, there are five holes on this side of the road which will have trees put in. And yes, there will be some green paint put down on them at the end.

I love how they put pavers down on the pavement instead of just tarmac. It just looks so much better :cheers:

·
1,717 Posts
^^ Awesome to hear. And with these pavers going down along Avon River as well and other key anchor projects in the city I'm sure, it will look really sleek and walking around the city will feel all connected. I wonder how many pavers are ordered :lol:

·
Registered
80 Posts
They must have ordered lots! It will be costing them heaps more than tarmac also. Ah well, at least we can thank Gerry for something. :lol:
It's great to see they're using paving like this rather than asphalt, it all helps to give a city a sense of quality and helps improve the ambience of a space. There is something very harsh and unappealing about concrete and especially asphalt surfaces. I hope all the major pedestrian streets will be paved in this fashion.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yeah, I've seen them as well. I guess the point of them is to let the cyclists go first? My favourite feature at that intersection is that pedestrians now have a phase to cross in either direction or diagonally!

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Christchurch Major Cycle Routes Construction Begins

http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/news/69072980/christchurch-major-cycle-routes-construction-begins

The first phase of construction in Christchurch's major cycle routes programme is under way.

Work has begun on Matai St East, Riccarton, to join existing cycleways between Teacher's College and Hagley Park.

Christchurch City Council spokesman Ross Pringle said it was the "first meaningful piece of construction" since the programme to build 13 major cycle routes over the next five years was approved.
The Matai St East project would form the "missing link" on the Uni-Cycle route, which would run through Canterbury University, Riccarton Bush, Christchurch Boys' High School and Christchurch Girls' High School.

The route was named by Lisa Beardsley, who is the personal assistant to the Assistant Vice-Chancellor Maori at Canterbury University.

She submitted the idea for the name having seen students unicycle around campus.

Work to build the 400-metre separated cycleway is expected to take three months to complete, at a cost of $1.6 million.

It would include improvement to the intersection of Fendalton Rd and Harper and Deans avenues, and have a signal-controlled crossing from Deans Ave to Hagley park.

The Uni-Cycle route was one of four chosen for first completion. Others link Northlands Mall to the central city, Halswell to the southern suburbs, and Ferrymead to the central city.

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Christchurch's Cycleways get Cash Boost from the Government

Christchurch's $156 million cycleway project has received an unexpected multimillion-dollar boost from the Government.

Transport Minister Simon Bridges announced on Thursday the Government would contribute $41.6 million to fast track seven of the city's 13 planned cycleway routes. It would also spend another $1m on two cycleways in the Waimakariri district.

The funding assistance, part of a $333m investment nationally, could not have come at a better time, Christchurch City councillor Phil Clearwater said.

The seven cycleways will cost $65m to build but the Government's contribution means it will now cost the council just $23.5m.

"Being able to deliver $65m of the $156m programme over the next three years for a local investment of $23.5m represents great value for Christchurch ratepayers," said Clearwater, chairman of the council's infrastructure, transport and environment committee.

"Our transport plan for the future identifies that we can't keep building roads that cost a lot to maintain and get clogged up."

The council still has to approve the funding and Clearwater hoped that could happen when it approved its Long Term Plan on Friday .

The seven routes selected were important connections. Council staff prioritised them as the first to be built.

They include the Papanui Parallel (4.9 kilometres), Northern Line cycleway (2.5km), Uni-cycle (5.6km), Little River Link (3km), Quarryman's Trail (3.7km), Heathcote Expressway (7.1km) and the Rapanui-Shag Rock cycleway (6.3km).

The money also included funding for a cycle route linking Rangiora and Woodend, and Rangiora and Kaiapoi.

The funding will come from the Government's $100m Urban Cycleways Fund – which is part of the $333m, four-year cycling investment – and the National Land Transport Fund.

continued here...
http://www.stuff.co.nz/the-press/69716719/Christchurchs-cycleways-get-cash-boost-from-the-Government

·
1,717 Posts
14/7/15

Quick update on the cycleways being constructed around the Bus Interchange. This whole area is a nightmare to walk around with all the roadworks, etc. Also the site on the corner of Tuam and Colombo Streets is for sale (where part of Team Hutchinson Ford currently is to the left of this pic below)

Current status of the cycleway south of Tuam Street:

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Also the site on the corner of Tuam and Colombo Streets is for sale
I'm pretty sure that corner site has been sold; I noted a 'SOLD' sticker on it the other day.

Hopefully something great will be built there, not just some investor land-banking...

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi guys. I was thinking the thread name could be changed to "CYCLING | Projects + News + Gallery" so we can make the thread a bit more broad and include other bike-related stuff like the bike share programme in the CBD. Just a thought :)

·
stupid sexy flanders
3,427 Posts
Hey man just send Brojojo, our mod a PM. Give him a couple of days but he'll sort it for you. (id do it for you but cant link on my phone)

While we're on the subject he has done a fantastic job tidying up the Christchurch pages. No doubt you've all noticed the changes to our subforum. Thanks to Brojojo we've now got a uniform look which makes threads easier to find. Also makes it alot streamlned as we add more and more threads as this rebuild thing continues full stream. He's corrected addresses, project names- you name it he's done heaps. Bear in mind it wasn't an easy task, He would've spent hours doing it.

·
Registered
1,925 Posts
Hey man just send Brojojo, our mod a PM. Give him a couple of days but he'll sort it for you. (id do it for you but cant link on my phone)

While we're on the subject he has done a fantastic job tidying up the Christchurch pages. No doubt you've all noticed the changes to our subforum. Thanks to Brojojo we've now got a uniform look which makes threads easier to find. Also makes it alot streamlned as we add more and more threads as this rebuild thing continues full stream. He's corrected addresses, project names- you name it he's done heaps. Bear in mind it wasn't an easy task, He would've spent hours doing it.
I was amazed at all the really good changes Brojoro did in his first few weeks to our subforum. Our old mod barely recognized that other cities existed other than Auckland. The new name template for all project threads is great too. Its nice to see the address along with the name.

1 - 20 of 427 Posts