Registered
77,000 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
amazing pix of Cyclone Ingrid

·
Like whatever....
9,177 Posts
Cyclone Ingrid?

They look like an ordinary thunderstorm pics to me - Cyclones are huge covering hundereds of square kilometres. It could be just a squall edge of it, possibly a shower that came with it or on the edge of it. The lowering cloud base indicates possible tornado style rotation which doesn't occur much in North Queensland, only the south and interior of the state below Rocky.

Love to know where they were taken.

jt

·
Weather Observer
79 Posts
That is absolutely NOT cyclone Ingrid! Completely different mechanisms altogether, they are individual severe thunderstorms, likely to be supercells and likely to be from te USA.

Nonetheless they are absolutely insane pics! Got them in an email and they are right up there with the best ive ever seen.

·
I need to know...
2,015 Posts
^You guys all already said what I was thinking- however it is certainly possible that the images are of storm cells on the edge of the cyclone structure. And tornadoes will very easily occur in conjunction with the approach of a cyclone- and those clouds do look like possible tornado creators. If these storm clouds are not in conjunction with a cyclone then as mentioned, I doubt it would be in Northern Qld, more likely further south from Rockhampton all the way down to northern Victoria, a band in which the majority of Australian tornadoes occur.

Excellent images though, love seeing this sort of stuff in real life- really gives you a shiver up the spine (or whatever...)

·
Weather Observer
79 Posts
If they were Australian, I would know who took them thats for sure, as I know pretty much every chaser out there (not meaning to sound rude or anything but we are a close network :) ) They would have been put of up a site such a www.weatherzone.com.au right away.

As for possibly being on the edge of the cyclone, I doubt that they are. You are def correct in saying that the outer bands can spawn tornadoes and yes the above clouds are clearly likely to produce tornadoes, espec the one with the massive black wall cloud, but the dynamics found for cloud structure like that would not occur on the edge of a cyclone over the top end of Australia.

I wont go into the real details as to why but the dynamics of the atmosphere would have not been supporting of such structure. Supercells like that require directional WIND SHEAR as well as speed shear changing with height to induce rotation about a vertical axis and generate helicity, something a cyclone cannot have unless it wants its structure ripped to shreds.

·
I need to know...
2,015 Posts
Thanks Skeletor for the infoand clearing up some stuff!!!! And the link, I'm always interested in sever weather phenomena, however have let my understanding slip now that I am confined to a very boring climate (ie non-severe).

Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts