SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Why do some apartment buildings (at a guess from First Republic period) have one or two staffs (like flagpoles) on the building facade? Often with some symbol at the top. Does it have some symbolic significance or just a fashion of the time?

·
Banned
2,580 Posts
At least we don't have flagstaff.. (joke.. never mind..) :)

I'm not sure if I know what you mean.. but I guess it's some kind of a national tradition. First you had to celebrate emperor, later president, and even later chairman of the central committee of the communist party and 1st May.. :)

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I will try to get a photo.

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
They are not flagstaffs. I'd say some art deco motifs. Period seems to be First Republic. Two examples on left (with Czech lion), one on right:

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Welcome back thread after one year!

The photo is there at post #5.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I live in a house from 1905 and there are these original flagstaffs on the facade. There are even small flagstaffs at each window facing the street, there might be added during communist era though.
Historyworks, the page is not accessible for me :(
http://www.historyworks.com.au/a.jpg

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I live in a house from 1905 and there are these original flagstaffs on the facade. There are even small flagstaffs at each window facing the street, there might be added during communist era though.
Historyworks, the page is not accessible for me :(
http://www.historyworks.com.au/a.jpg
Sorry, I'll see if I can find out why. It works for me but then I created it of course so it would! #[email protected]#&# internet LOL!

But you seem to know what I mean, they could be flagstaffs and seem to date from Art Nouveau period. They usually have some little decoration on top and, though vertical, they lean out from the facade at a slight angle and usually about 2 storeys high starting at about second level.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
Now I can see it, seems they are newer than Art deco era I would guess 20's - 40's. The facade is overall very flat and neerly depressing so they put at least some ornament to flagstaff, my surmise. Is that at Zizkov?

·
Perpetual Bohemian
3,981 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Now I can see it, seems they are newer than Art deco era I would guess 20's - 40's. The facade is overall very flat and neerly depressing so they put at least some ornament to flagstaff, my surmise. Is that at Zizkov?
That is in Vinohrady (Vocelova) but of course there are similar all over these districts. I did say First Republic in my earlier post so perhaps not much earlier than this.

·
The last disciple
543 Posts
The Czech Forum seems to be pretty empty, but I hope to receive an answer to my questions. This panelaky are from Liberec and there pretty intersting types, which I haven't seen before in the Czech Republic.

Questions: Would anybody be so kind and provide further information like floorplans and more data about following types:

Look at the hallways, there is a long corridor, seldom used in the eastern block commieblock architecture

·
'tou na lua...
41,754 Posts
more space for apartments...

one thing i hate is how real estate ads fake the floorplans and apartment types when selling... like a garsoniera being sold as a 1+1 just by inventing some padded floor accessed by some stairs or some ad-hoc division of a room....

it is totally wrong... and you have some matchbox-sized with no thought given to planning, comfort, sunlight, whatsoever for 7 million crowns....

the other day i visited a flat and it was a former potraviny or massage-shop with a door right open to a busy street....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts