SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Königsallee (nicknamed "Kö" by the locals) is a world famous boulevard in Düsseldorf, Germany noted for both the canal that runs along the boulevard's center, as well as for the luxury retail shopping venues located along its length.

History
The boulevard was designed by Caspar Anton Huschberger when the area was redeveloped in 1802, and built to replace pre-existing fortifications. It was completed in 1804. The canal which runs through the center of the boulevard is 31m (102 ft) wide and 5m (16 ft) deep. The canal is fed by the Düssel, which was diverted to provide the nececessary water. Two wooden bridges cross the canal. On the suggestion of the landscape architect Maximilian Friedrich Weyhe, trees were planted along the boulevard and the boulevard was given the name "Kastanienallee" ("Chestnut Avenue"). After an incident in 1848, when horse manure was thrown at King Friedrich Wilhelm IV, the road was renamed "Königsallee" ("King's Avenue") as a gesture of goodwill.

All photos were taken in the last 2 weeks and I hope you will like them.

The Kaufhof, Königsallee Nr. 1, opened 1907

The Corneliusplatz - the north end of the Kö

The Steigenberger Park Hotel

The Cornelius clock

The Bvgari clock in front of the Kaufhof

the Tritonengruppe by Fritz Coubillier built in 1902

The Kö city toilet

Every Düsseldorfer knows our Kö witch

The Kögraben in a northward direction

Westdeutsche Zeitung House (Newspaper)

Deutsche Bank

The royal Görres Gymnasium

Das neue Inter Continental

The southern end of the Königsallee

GAP 15

·
Registered
414 Posts
Nice photos. You don't see much about Dusseldorf, so it was good to finally see it. The landscaped canal is great! Lots of the shop scenes reminded me of the Ku-Dam in Berlin.

·
Gotta lite?
6,040 Posts
Very nice. I havn't been to this city yet and will have to do so shortly.

Odd though, as the streets seem so empty of people. Was it shot on a Sunday?

·
Kikab
10,053 Posts
indeed a very beautiful city. I never saw pictures of this city before. I been in Hamburg, Koln, Bremmen and Berlin, but I never imagine a city such like it. Congratulations.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Düsseldorf is a very nice place. These pics bring back nice memories of my trip there some 5 or 6 years ago, I really miss the schweinsaxe and all that house brewed lager...

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Some more impression from the Königsallee

The Shoppingmall Sevens opened 2000

Built by Rhode, Kellermann, Wawrowski (RKW)

Another shoppingmall the Kö Galerie

Regina Halmich: world champion in women’s boxing doing some PR

Kö Karree

The designer furniture shoppingmall "Stilwerk"

The glas roof can be opened on sunny days

·
Gotta lite?
6,040 Posts
Just bought some tickets, so will be there in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the extra photos

·
Wirtschaftsguru
799 Posts
Seb said:
Düsseldorf is a very nice place. These pics bring back nice memories of my trip there some 5 or 6 years ago, I really miss the schweinsaxe and all that house brewed lager...
It's not Lager my friend. Düsseldorf has its own beer: Alt.
Justme said:
Just bought some tickets, so will be there in a couple of weeks. Thanks for the extra photos
Welcome.

·
/>>}WweX:AS<
177 Posts
Someone please explain to me the fleet of E-Class Taxi Cabs! I know mercedes benz's are cheaper in europe but these E-classes must be seriously lower specification than the ones we get in the US, I mean imagine taxi cabs with leather and woodgrain!

·
Resurrected
24,352 Posts
Wow, looks very much like Zurich! Didn't know that Düsseldorf has so many "Gründerzeit" buildings. I always imagined it as a very modern and sterile city - you proved me wrong! Thanks ;)

1 - 20 of 35 Posts