SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Famous architects such as Frank O. Gehry, David Chipperfield, Joe Coenen, Steven Holl and Claude Vasconi have made the MediaHarbour a meeting point for connoisseurs of architecture from all over the world. Where just a few years ago a gloomy atmosphere emanated from disused storehouses, renowned companies from the fields of advertising and the arts, communications and TV production have now established their offices, such as WDR (West German broadcasting station), QVC and CNN Germany.

The panorama restaurant at the top of the Rhine Tower, at 172 m height, affords an ideal view of the city and the state parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia at its foot. Next to it is Düsseldorf's new landmark, the Stadttor (city gate), which was awarded a prize as 'Europe's best office building' and is also the seat of the State Chancellery.

The red marked buildings are not completed yet

One of the Highlights is the "neue Zollhof" - The 3 Gehry buildings

White- and silverfacade

Clinkerfacade

The boat harbour

The side of the Speditionstraße is very colorful

Another Highlight is the 62m high Colorium tower

The landmarked Alte Mälzerei (1897)

Because of the new bridge the MediaHarbour is already worth visiting

You can find in the transparent bridge-house a nice restaurant

The bridge has a glass balustrade and light cubes

The colorful figures at the Roggendorf house

Maki Solitär

WDR state capital studios (public broadcaster in North Rhine-Westphalia)

Japanese class in front of the parliament of North Rhine-Westphalia

The 234m hohe Rheinturm was built in 1982.

On the top you can find a restaurant...

...and a observation deck

The Grand Bateau looks like a ship

The Radisson SAS Art Hotel

The Mediatower

The Stadttor was voted at the MIPIM as Europe's best new office building

More to come :)

·
1,540 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
(archidesigner)
2,666 Posts
Maki Solitär

I really loved this building; nice, nice...

·
Banned
30 Posts
Düsseldorf is a great place!

I went there several times and it is very interesting, nice and awesome :D

·
Gotta lite?
6,046 Posts
Just came back from Düsseldorf yesterday, and was in the Media Hafen yesterday. Unfortunately, for most of my time in the city the weather was terrible - constant downpours so I didn't take many photo's, but the sun did come out for a bit when I was in the Media Hafen.

Essentially, I quite liked it. Reminds me a bit of say Paddington Basin in London, like a mini (very mini) Docklands but without the shopping and skyscrapers. Sunday wasn't the best day to visit as it was a bit dead (to say the least) but I'm sure it's much more lively on a working day.

A couple of questions;

In the restaurant at the bridge is the set of steps you see below that looks like it goes to some benches and tables actually in the water. What is this? Is it just a form of art, or in summer will it actually be used?

2nd, are there any plans to actually build shops here? It really needs it in my opinion as there is no reason to visit outside of work hours, and what of the people working here?

Finally, I also went up the Rheinturm and I have to say, this was the dumbest observation tower I have ever been in. Three main reasons.

1: The main observation platform (the panorama level) is only open half way around. I could see into the closed area which didn't look like it was under repair or anything, just closed off. This is really stupid, as most of the views are just of the suburbs, it cuts off where the main part of the river is and is on the edge where the city is, so with the crowds trying to see the city center, it's almost impossible to view.

2: They mix it with a cafe all the way around (that is all the way in the limited viewing area) so you have to squeeze past people at tables trying not to knock over their drinks to get to the views and take photos. Really dumb.

3: finally, there is an outdoor observation deck one floor down that goes right around the deck for 360°. Problem is there is two really thick metal grills that are so thick (and separated from each other) that you can hardly see anything through them, and the camera holes are bordered up, so you certainly can't take pictures. Really Really dumb.

The only good thing is the relatively cheap price of €3.30 to go up. Other than that it's a real waste of an observation tower.

Then again, it's better than Frankfurts which closed a few years ago because the carpark at the base was converted into an office. Brilliant thinking there.

Overall, I found Düsseldorf to be a nice, but rather small feeling city. The main Fashion street Konigsalle was quite attractive, the oldtown was ok, but once outside of this the architecture was very average. In fact, quite hideous between Berlinerstr and the Hauptbahnhof. I think this city has a lot of potential. It’s smack within the Rhein Ruhr and 12million people. But because of the way this metropolitan area works, there is no great single downtown, just many small average ones like Düsseldorf.

Oh, the shopping was in fact better in my opinion than Frankfurt.

·
Stand back everybody!
31 Posts
Just out of curiosity:

Why is the oldtown just "ok" ? In my opinion it is one of the most attractive and lively places in Germany with pubs and restaurants everywhere. Did you spend just this one day there? Because if you did, you should definitly return on a saturday evening in the summer and you'll be blown away.

I agree to everything else you wrote though.

·
Gotta lite?
6,046 Posts
bravoman said:
Just out of curiosity:

Why is the oldtown just "ok" ? In my opinion it is one of the most attractive and lively places in Germany with pubs and restaurants everywhere. Did you spend just this one day there? Because if you did, you should definitly return on a saturday evening in the summer and you'll be blown away.

I agree to everything else you wrote though.
I only spent two days there, which is not enough to really appreciate any city, and this was dampeded by one day of hard downpour, so I may not have enjoyed it as much as I could have.

About the old town. I didn't find the architecture to be really interesting, most looked like quick and cheap reproductions of the original buildings. There were certainly a lot of pubs in this area, but it looked really tacky, touristy and reminded me of alte sachschenhausen in Frankfurt.

It was nice how it also seemed to work as the shopping area, but I've seen far nicer old towns in other German cities, and in particular, the smaller towns which were not destroyed in the last war.

I'm not knocking Düsseldorf. My final opinion is that it's a nice, small city, and I think it is going places in the future. But it really could really do up some places (and mow the lawns every now and again, some of the weeds along the roads were hip high)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts