SkyscraperCity banner

1 - 20 of 11428 Posts

·
50,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
A good topic can't exist without some photo's.

Well, i drove some 400km in Germany the last few days, and made pics, the weather was quite fine for that.

A46 Heinsberg - Wuppertal
Heinsberg - Mönchengladbach - Neuss - Düsseldorf - Wuppertal - Kreuz Wuppertal-Nord

149 photos, Picasa Webalbum

[/quote]

·
Nonhyphenated-American
3,058 Posts
Isn't there a website where you can download official images of German autobahn signage, along with a windows viewer?

Mike

·
Islander
23,418 Posts
What I don't understand, is why you should (as signs suggest) use the A94 (what's of it!) to get from Munich (München) to Passau. Wouldn't using the A92 and A3 be much faster? And I don't know why they are planning the A94 anyway. Connecting Munich with Linz (Vienna) other than by the A8 isn't forseeable (especially not in Austria), and connecting Munich to those small towns there just sounds senseless to me (Marktl am Inn being the pope's birth-place isn't enough, let alone Hitler and Braunau :D), and connection with Passau is already good enough. :dunno:

·
Registered
1,053 Posts
German signage is by far the most systematic and the easiest to understand. Other countries cannot even hope of catching up to the German standards. Especially the USA and France :lol:

I noticed that some Eastern European countries that have started extensive motorway construction since the fall of Iron Curtain also have a very convenient signage. For instance, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland are doing very good job designing the destination signs. Also, judging by the photos, former Yugoslavia Republics are catching up too :eek:kay:

·
50,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
@ Verso, it's some big area that isn't covered with an Autobahn. I guess it is good for local economy there, to improve travel times to München (Munich). They build the A20 too, which is very empty and goes through a sparsely populated area.

·
Banned
3,054 Posts
German signage is by far the most systematic and the easiest to understand. Other countries cannot even hope of catching up to the German standards. Especially the USA and France :lol:

I noticed that some Eastern European countries that have started extensive motorway construction since the fall of Iron Curtain also have a very convenient signage. For instance, Czech Republic, Slovakia and Poland are doing very good job designing the destination signs. Also, judging by the photos, former Yugoslavia Republics are catching up too :eek:kay:
I travelled on the A94, it is very new and looks very good.

·
Islander
23,418 Posts
@ Verso, it's some big area that isn't covered with an Autobahn. I guess it is good for local economy there, to improve travel times to München (Munich). They build the A20 too, which is very empty and goes through a sparsely populated area.
Ok, but I still don't understand why using this highway to come from Munich to Passau now.

Btw, are there really no plans for filling the gap with the A8 between Pirmasens (A62) and Karlsruhe (A5)/Landau (A65)?? And what about connecting the German A5 with the French A35 (Karlsruhe and Paris) with motorway?

·
50,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
So there's not much else to see on that motorway except traffic signs?:shifty:
It's hard to make pics of something else (like tagebau Garzweiler) while driving, or take pictures from the side-windows. And because the huge amount of exits, it's almost hard not to get a sign on it ;)

·
50,451 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Btw, are there really no plans for filling the gap with the A8 between Pirmasens (A62) and Karlsruhe (A5)/Landau (A65)?? And what about connecting the German A5 with the French A35 (Karlsruhe and Paris) with motorway?
About the A8 gap: there won't be an A8 Autobahn. The now existing B10 Bundesstraße is fast and good enough. Most truck traffic is heading to Ludwigshafen and Mannheim anyway (via the A6).

The A5-A35: I think you mean west of Karlsruhe, that's the A65-French A35 motorway connection, to day the B9 Bundesstraße. I drove there once, and it goes okay. Because of the border region, traffic is low, and the A35 in France has such bad pavement, and goes right through busy Strasbourg, most people choose to travel the German A5 instead.
However, there are plans to extend the German A65 from Kandel to Lauterburg, connecting the French A35.

·
Islander
23,418 Posts
About the A8 gap: there won't be an A8 Autobahn. The now existing B10 Bundesstraße is fast and good enough. Most truck traffic is heading to Ludwigshafen and Mannheim anyway (via the A6).
:lol: I lost 1 hour there, and it was quite full of trucks (of course when a road is just 2-laned and slow, it looks full of trucks, even when there's not so many).

The A5-A35: I think you mean west of Karlsruhe, that's the A65-French A35 motorway connection, to day the B9 Bundesstraße. I drove there once, and it goes okay. Because of the border region, traffic is low, and the A35 in France has such bad pavement, and goes right through busy Strasbourg, most people choose to travel the German A5 instead.
However, there are plans to extend the German A65 from Kandel to Lauterburg, connecting the French A35.
I don't care where they build the connection, but it's certainly necessary. It's connection between southern Germany and northern France. And seeing sign for Paris south of Karlsruhe, suggesting to go off (the A5) motorway, is just hilarious. :lol: Of course you won't continue on the A5, but leading you for PARIS off motorway... :lol:

·
11,441 Posts
A "bit" smaller version of above map. Still big, but more comprehensible. Maybe would Chris want to change picture in first post?

1 - 20 of 11428 Posts