·
ubahnista
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was last sunday in ICE again, so i decided to make a small tutorial :D

How to ICE ?

Make a plan what you want to do :)

Best go to www.bahn.de

My first idea was to take an combination of two RE trains from Wiesbaden to Essen, it s free for me because of i am partly disabled (disabled people can use all trains up to RE for free):

4:08 Hours :(

It s too much for me,

And route:

Than i got a idea to pay an ICE ticket ;)

2 Hours !!! :D

route has only few stations:

So perfect, let s go to station

First get in the railway station, or Bahnhof, here you see Wiesbaden Hauptbahnhof :D

Than go to Reise Zentrum

But damn, it s closed :( i was to late, it s c.a. 19:50. ICE ll be there in 20:32

So i went to ticket-automat

And bought a ticket :D

next thing is to do, is to relax, to drink coffee, or to go to kiosk:

After buying some newspapers, i went to track, specialy made for ICE.s (they are very long, about 250 m)

And i am waiting, until, whey ICE comes :D

Snake, snake

Find some cool places for sitting like those:

And take a look to information display ;)

what s behind me ?

and in front ?

Free Bahn Propaganda :D

and Finals, ICE 3 Video at high speed (about 280-300 kmh) somewhere between Wiesbaden and Limburg, DOWNLOAD - c.a. 3 MB

:cheers:

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
^Inter City Express, that's sweet thinking that it's faster than anything here in Canada.:D

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
ICE rules, great pix Stevane. Canada will likely never have these guys Filipe -- afraid countries as sparse as ours are stuck with plane travel :(

---

As a thinly related question, anyone know the cheapest ticket for Berlin to Praha?

·
Torontonian 4ever
9,891 Posts
salvius said:
ICE rules, great pix Stevane. Canada will likely never have these guys Filipe -- afraid countries as sparse as ours are stuck with plane travel :(

---

As a thinly related question, anyone know the cheapest ticket for Berlin to Praha?
Windsor - Toronto - Montreal - QC and Calgary - Edmonton. Those lines would work.;)
That'd be awesome, I'd never think of flying to MTL anymore, bring on the TGV.

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Filip said:
Windsor - Toronto - Montreal - QC and Calgary - Edmonton. Those lines would work.;)
Nowhere near dense enough or close enough. It's more potential than anywhere else in the country, but still a pipe dream.

---

Stevane thanks for the quote. 52 EUR is a bit pricey!

·
Banned
223 Posts
Hehehe...this is cool thread! Maybe I could make one for "Railways of Srpska", tutorial how to come in Trebinje from Sarajevo in 11 hours :yes: Still, I think our trains are better becose you have a small room, and here only one seatplace. You can play football, fight, take a small walk in our trains :D

By the way, you are fan of Umberto Eko?

·
Banned
1,680 Posts
14 hours? Doesn't it take less ~12 hours already? I used to start from Belgrade in late evening(9pm-10mp) and be in Bar at 7-9am, just in time for an early morning burek & jogurt meal:yes:

Btw...country of Canuckistan doesn't deserve to be mentined here.
We could have already had a HST line between the nation's capital(Ottawa) and its largest city(Toronto) and what? Nothing. They spent a billion dollars on some rusting submarines from Britain(good deal...for them) and $250 million to promote Canada and "unity" in Quebec. Wonder if Yugoslavia spent anything on such stuff. Probably not.

Stevane, thanks for taking the time to post the pics...you have no idea how we who live here envy you:)

·
Registered
3,488 Posts
Kommandant Mark said:
Btw...country of Canuckistan doesn't deserve to be mentined here.
We could have already had a HST line between the nation's capital(Ottawa) and its largest city(Toronto) and what? Nothing. They spent a billion dollars on some rusting submarines from Britain(good deal...for them) and $250 million to promote Canada and "unity" in Quebec. Wonder if Yugoslavia spent anything on such stuff. Probably not.
You do, of course, realize that one of the reasons Yugoslavia isn't there today is because of bankrupcy, due to extremely bad financial decisions, in 1990. I'm not sure if you understand these basic economic concepts, but Yugoslavia was economically broke for a better part of its existance, propped up by cheap debt and international subsidies. Yugoslavia, for all its goods, was a fiscally unsustainable entity.

BTW, Yugoslavia spent much more on the 'unity' card, that includes not only horrendous expenditures in porportion to its net income, but also an endless amount of lives.

---

The HST line is impractical in Canada, and I doubt it will ever be done. The population living in the corridor might sound like a lot, but is peanuts. The population density makes the HST proposal unlikely.

·
ubahnista
4,625 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
salvius said:
The HST line is impractical in Canada, and I doubt it will ever be done. The population living in the corridor might sound like a lot, but is peanuts. The population density makes the HST proposal unlikely.
Indeed, for large countries with big empty gaps between cities is unpractical to have HST, you noticed that mainly mid-sized countries with a lot of cities have HST like France, Germany, Spain, Italy, Japan or Korea. From economical point there is better to use HST.s than plane. A small example from here, if you want to go with plane from Frankfurt to Berlin it ll take maybe 3-4 hours and minimum 191 € (1 hour to get on airport and to enter plane, 1 - 1,20 hours flying, 1 hours to get from airport to city centre). Instead of that most Germans simple take an ICE which starts from city centre and probably not far from home/hotel, it takes 4 hours to Berlin city centre, and ticket costs maximal 95€ (if you owns a BahnCard, which many Germans have you can travel for 45 € same route) :)

·
agent provocateur
361 Posts
I have rode the ICE for one year that I was in the german army, always from Duisburg to Koblenz, nice track along the Rhine, and a few times from Duisburg to Berlin. Nice methode to travell weren´t there always those belatednesses :bash:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts