SkyscraperCity banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
11,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Da Lat is a popular tourist destination in Vietnam - highly appreciated for its temperate climate, beautiful sights such as waterfalls and lakes and its abundance of flowers and vegetables.

During the 1890s, explorers in the area (including the noted bacteriologist Alexandre Yersin , protégé of the renowned French chemist Louis Pasteur), which was then part of the French territory of Cochinchina, asked the French governor-general Paul Doumer to create a resort center in the highlands. The governor agreed. The original intended site for the hill station was Dankia but Etienne Tardif, a member of the raod-building expedition of 1898-99 proposed the current site instead. In 1907, the first hotel was built. Urban planning was carried out by Ernest Hebrard.

The French endowed the city with villas and boulevards, and its Swiss charms remain today. Hebrard included the requisite health complex, golf course, parks, schools and homes but no industry

(wikipedia)

Photos taken from Vietnam forum.

·
Proud Torontonian
1,421 Posts
Really interesting city...I actually skipped over the introductory description my first time through the tour, but remnants of the French occupation are definitely super evident, and a lot of the buildings (especially those houses) are super Swiss-esque. Gotta love Vietnam photo tours.

·
DISCO VOLANTE
1,614 Posts
Charming!! Espiecially when I look out the window - heavy clouds and rain :eek:hno: - and back on the screen. Really nice place. I just wonder why is the valley "infamous"??

·
Registered
241 Posts
Jungle and waterfalls, the perfect receipe for a tourist resort! It looks pretty cool! I didn't see any really large hotels, I think that's the best tourism! Small facilities for a few tourists at a time! I know it's against economy of scale, but it keeps the spirit of a place alive!

·
11,040 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Charming!! Espiecially when I look out the window - heavy clouds and rain :eek:hno: - and back on the screen. Really nice place. I just wonder why is the valley "infamous"??
The valley is famous for its picturesque & dreamlike view. It is very charming with its valleys full of flowers, and pine hills, along with lakes and waterfalls in the surrounding areas. Tourists can follow the trails to climb up the adjacent hills to have a impressive whole view of the valley which is very breathtaking. The name "Valley of love" has been called by the French in the first place, but since the past, lovers usually come here and let this valley be a witness to their love, and they believe that their love would last eternally after paying this place a visit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts