SkyscraperCity banner

The cities of which state are developing more?

• North Dakota

Votes: 15 30.6%
  • South Dakota

Votes: 36 73.5%
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Banned
203 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What is going there guys?I have seen some pics and those places seem to be very isolated and with really few inhabitants.Is there any kind of development there ?All in all,the natural beauty of those places is amzing

·
Look closer...
1,137 Posts
I'm having a hard time picking either option in this poll.

It's like asking "which one's better: Trinidad or Tabago?"

·
Registered
118 Posts
there's a photo thread for sioux falls, sd here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=275935

it's about 150,000 with a metro of 200,000 expected to reach 300,000 in 5 years. the SE part of SD is growing pretty quickly between sioux falls and sioux city, but most other parts of the state are either declining or staying steady. overall the state's population is going up though.

i don't know enough about ND to make a comment for them.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Sioux Falls is devoloping the fastest

They have four small micropolitan areas in the Dakotas of 100,000 people or more: Rapid City, Fargo and Sioux Falls and Bismarck.

I would say that Sioux Falls is probubly growing the fastest by far, I believe the entire Sioux Falls area is over 200,000 people now as its the fastest growing metropolitan area in the midwest on a percentage basis. The main industry is banking in Sioux Falls and I know its pretty highly regarded for medical care also. Not much of a college town, except they have a two year affordable technical college. The topography is very hilly. Its also in proximity to Sioux City, Iowa which is a slightly smaller but more economically unstable area.

Rapid City is growing fast also mainly because its close to the Black Hills, I have talked to people who have said the wage scales for occupations are extremely low considering the cost of housing is fairly high on a regional scale.
I have seen lots of ads in the regional newspapers advertising Rapid City as a retiree destination.

Fargo was growing fast through the 1990s (had a unemployment rate below 1% at one time), but has fizzled in the 2000s because of (this doesnt impact me) very high property taxes that fill up the editorial section of the newspapers pretty much every week. Cost of housing is higher in Fargo actually then Cleveland, Louisville and Indianapolis and the wage scale is much lower. They have about 25,000 college students out of about 180,000 people in the entire area. The downtown area is struggling alot (they have about 10 bars, but very little retail). Alot of the neighborhoods bordering the downtown area are in pretty bad shape, especially immediately to the east. Fargo has alot of sprawl in the area also especially to the west
and you'll find almost every chain imaginable around West Acres (5 miles from the center of the town). Lots of retail here, but the key is everything is around West Acres. Fargo is probubly the best town out of the four the families (It is very surbuban-like) but unlike most college towns I would say its got a very low percentage of single people.

Bismarck I remember reading in a publication because its a government and coal town that they hold the record for having something like 39 years of consecutive economic growth. Bismarck is probubly the most economically stable and least expensive cost of living out of the four. They have alot of high-paying coal jobs also in the counties bordering Bismarck.

·
Registered
118 Posts
skate342 said:
there's a photo thread for sioux falls, sd here:
http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=275935

it's about 150,000 with a metro of 200,000 expected to reach 300,000 in 5 years. the SE part of SD is growing pretty quickly between sioux falls and sioux city, but most other parts of the state are either declining or staying steady. overall the state's population is going up though.

i don't know enough about ND to make a comment for them.
I know its growing very fast, but that fast? wow!!

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Grand Forks should pass 100,000 soon, which will make 5 in the region, 3 in Norht Dakota and 2 in South Dakota, so I voted for North Dakota.

Here is an article on Grand Forks from a recent Forbes magazine http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0522/184.html

Interesting that all 5 of the Dakota metro were ranked in the top 30 of the best smaller cities for business by Forbes (4 of the top 6 even)

I'm pretty sure all 5 will show further growth in the coming years.

·
Registered
118 Posts
globill said:
Grand Forks should pass 100,000 soon, which will make 5 in the region, 3 in Norht Dakota and 2 in South Dakota, so I voted for North Dakota.

Here is an article on Grand Forks from a recent Forbes magazine http://www.forbes.com/free_forbes/2006/0522/184.html

Interesting that all 5 of the Dakota metro were ranked in the top 30 of the best smaller cities for business by Forbes (4 of the top 6 even)

I'm pretty sure all 5 will show further growth in the coming years.
I am sure North Dakota is attractive to businesses because the wage is extremely low, land values are probubly also extremely low and residential home owners pay businesses massive subsidies in this state.

I doubt Grand Forks even though the metro is at 97,000 people that they will hit 100,000 people any time soon because it's long term trend has been a decline in population. Its unemployment rate tends to be a few percent above that of Fargo or Bismarck (North Dakota has one of the lowest unemployment rates but Grand Forks is usually above the national average). Wage scales are even lower in Grand Forks then Fargo and Bismarck and the cost of housing is higher because of the floods that occured there in the 1990s.

Minot has lost 6% of its population base since the 2000 census part of the reason for this is deployments, but also wages in Minot are far lower then even Bismarck.

Burleigh County, ND is the only county that has domestic in-migration, Cass County which is Fargo actually has domestic out-migration. Fargo is reliant on its high birth rates and international migration through Lutheran Services to increase its population.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Actually according to the Forbes article, Grand Forks has more than recovered from the losses of the 97 floods. Here's a blurb..

Things feel better now in Grand Forks, which has ferociously clawed back from $2 billion in wreckage to thrive. The town lost 3,000 of its 47,000 people after 1997, but it recovered in two years and has added an additional 6,000 folks since. Why? Jobs. Unemployment averaged 3.5% last year, compared with the national rate of 5.1%. The city is number 28 among our Best Smaller Metros with populations of fewer than 230,000 (for the full list, go to forbes.com/bestplaces).

Jobs come to Grand Forks because of its people, 89% of whom have high school diplomas (the national average is 80%) and 64% of whom have some education beyond high school. Amazon.com (nasdaq: AMZN - news - people ), which prefers that its customer service employees hold college degrees, planted a 300-person call center here in 1999.

LM Glasfiber, a $400 million (sales) manufacturer in Lunderskov, Denmark and the world's largest maker of wind turbine blades, saw an upside. It opened a Grand Forks factory in 1999, with 25 employees in 83,000 square feet. LM now has 300 employees and 150,000 square feet with plans for more expansion. "We get people knocking on the door looking for jobs," says General Manager Blake A. Seas.

Don't trust Census Bureau stats.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
denvernative1982 said:
I know its growing very fast, but that fast? wow!!
No its not growing that fast. I go there a couple times a month and the pace is nowhere near 50% growth in 5 years. I would say it will add another 10,000 to 20,000 in that time though.

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
choyak said:
Isn't Fargo and Moorhead, MN adjacent to each other? I drove through there a long long long time ago!!
You are correct.

·
Registered
1,737 Posts
Grand Forks has come a long way in the last 9 years

97-

·
Registered
3,051 Posts
rembers the flood of 97 when that building burnt down was on the front page of the winnipeg free press and the flood waters came within a foot of flooding winnipeg...

---------------------------

pop stats for sioux falls

·
Savior of Gondor
1,505 Posts
Also I wanted to point out that Sioux Falls does have colleges. They have to Augustana and Sioux Falls University. They also have branches of state universities combined on its own campus. People in Sioux Falls have plenty of educational opportunity.
Also I looked into the population growth, took the numbers from the Sioux Falls website itself (http://www.siouxfalls.org/Planning/resources/demo_data/population.aspx) and they expect the population to be around 235,000 in five years. Its not expected to top 300,000 for 15 to 20 years. Sioux Falls has a land area of about 56.3 square miles and a density of 2500 people per square mile.

1 - 20 of 61 Posts