Skyscraper City Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was on Wikipedia. I don't know who took this picture but I love it. I'm moving to Dallas soon and pix like this make me excited about my future home.
THE SOUTH'S BIGGEST METROPOLIS....DALLAS!​

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the welcomes TexasStar and swivel. I've enjoyed a bunch of you guys' photothreads of the city. Dallas is a very popular relocation spot for people down here in Florida. I know of three families other than my own who are moving there this year.

I've been lurking on the DallasMetropolis Forum for a few months. I'll definitely check out the Cityville forum. I knew about Trinity River Park and Bridges, Victory Park and some other developments but I haven't read about Cityville yet! That looks neat. Dallas is booming and alot of us outsiders are just catching on. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Welcome to Dallas! Dallas IS one of the great American cities despite what others say and I hope you love it. I miss my hometown of Dallas alot but Oklahoma country living is so much quieter. LOL...! My family still lives there and my aunt who lives close to the Miami Dolphins headquarters her and her husband are thinking of moving to Dallas so it must be in the air in Florida??? Hmmm?

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
OkieTexan said:
Welcome to Dallas! Dallas IS one of the great American cities despite what others say and I hope you love it. I miss my hometown of Dallas alot but Oklahoma country living is so much quieter. LOL...! My family still lives there and my aunt who lives close to the Miami Dolphins headquarters her and her husband are thinking of moving to Dallas so it must be in the air in Florida??? Hmmm?
Thanks.

Yeah, people who lived in South Florida for the last ten years or longer are moving in every direction. The most popular destinations seem to be places with cheaper housing markets, good job markets and that are still in warm climates. Many are moving to north Florida, Texas and the Carolinas. Dallas seems to be the most popular destination outside of other places in Florida.
Probably because DFW is the biggest metro that is still affordable.

Also I think some of the Dallas 'vibe' is by word of mouth. My mother told one of her friends about how we're moving to Dallas. She showed the woman pix of what you can get for your money in DFW and a couple of weeks later the woman told my mom that she was going to Dallas too! It seems like everyone here is talking about moving somewhere more affordable.

When my parent's real estate agent heard they were moving to Dallas he told them that many sellers here are moving to Dallas. He is even partnered up with an agent in Dallas to refer his sellers to. Apparently, there is alot of that going on.

Hopefully these South Floridians will leave the Miami rudeness here. LOL

My sister in Cleveland heard about how affordable Dallas is on a radio show! The radio show host was telling people to invest/move to Dallas for cheap housing and its healthy economy with all it's corporate headquarters, etc.!

Dallas is becoming known as one of the last affordable big cities. A place where you can enjoy all the amenities of a big metro and afford to live in also.

This reminds me of the Atlanta 'buzz' in the early 90s, except Dallas is already much bigger than Atlanta.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
mameenoodles said:
oh my god how brown is your river? ugh.
Uh most of its grass lol and during the fall and winter months the grass is brown and the river is low and only like 8 feet wide.

Anyway lauderdalegator i am a floridian that moved to Dallas dont move too far out into the suburbs and it really depends where you end up if you will like it or not. I lived there for a year and didnt like it i lived in a shitty suburbs called Carrollton it was boring and everything looked the same and the people were more rude than here in florida.

I can say though that the closer to downtown you went the better the character of the neighborhoods became better the people were somewhat friendlier and you could actually go somewhere without a car. The schools are also harder then what you are used to in florida and the weather is alot crappier than florida only good thing is you have a winter and less humidity most people i knew from florida moved to dallas because it was cheaper and they got more pay but most would say they liked florida better and i was one of them thats why i moved back.

I wish you good luck and that you live in a better place than i did and that you like it better otherwise its pretty miserable living there i can say i love florida way more then i did over there. Overall if you grew up in florida Houston is a better bet that city is more like it is over here.
(P.S. Be careful with the real estate agents over there they tried scamming us and the buyer of our house out of money because houses are so cheap there.)

·
Registered
232 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I-275westcoastfl said:
.......Anyway lauderdalegator i am a floridian that moved to Dallas dont move too far out into the suburbs and it really depends where you end up if you will like it or not. ......
I can say though that the closer to downtown you went the better the character of the neighborhoods became better the people were somewhat friendlier and you could actually go somewhere without a car........ most people i knew from florida moved to dallas because it was cheaper and they got more pay but most would say they liked florida better and i was one of them thats why i moved back.......Overall if you grew up in florida Houston is a better bet that city is more like it is over here.
(P.S. Be careful with the real estate agents over there they tried scamming us and the buyer of our house out of money because houses are so cheap there.)
Thanks for the info. Did you live in southeast Florida?

Anyway, in Dallas I hope to live intown and not out in a strange suburb. Schools are really bad here in Florida but I grew up mostly in Ohio and Maryland. I am finishing an undergrad program now so school is over for me. As for the rude people, yes I know they're everywhere and most of the ones here in Florida are probably ex-New Yorkers :) I will miss Florida.

Oh yeah, can you elaborate on how the realtors tried to scam you? That happens everywhere. I know realtors here will tell you they have a buyer for your house just to trap you into a contract. Loan officers will try to convince to sign on outrageous mortgages. They have so many tricks. All they care about is their commission.

I think I'll like Dallas. I've yet to live anywhere I didn't like and most places are pretty much the same anyway.

·
Registered
6,153 Posts
lauderdalegator said:
Thanks for the info. Did you live in southeast Florida?

Anyway, in Dallas I hope to live intown and not out in a strange suburb. Schools are really bad here in Florida but I grew up mostly in Ohio and Maryland. I am finishing an undergrad program now so school is over for me. As for the rude people, yes I know they're everywhere and most of the ones here in Florida are probably ex-New Yorkers :) I will miss Florida.

Oh yeah, can you elaborate on how the realtors tried to scam you? That happens everywhere. I know realtors here will tell you they have a buyer for your house just to trap you into a contract. Loan officers will try to convince to sign on outrageous mortgages. They have so many tricks. All they care about is their commission.

I think I'll like Dallas. I've yet to live anywhere I didn't like and most places are pretty much the same anyway.
No before moving to dallas i was raised in St.Petersburg which is basically a mix of a florida city and a southern city now i live in a city above it Clearwater. Ive been to southeast florida though somewhere above Ft.Lauderdale and below West Palm Beach its not that much different.

Oh you are in college im guessing so thats no biggie and yea most rude people here are New Yorkers and Californians lol. I know real estate agents try to get commision my mom was/is one so i know a little about the game but over there they try to get every single last dollar even after the contract was signed they were being assholes.

Good thing you hope to stay intown the only areas i liked in Dallas was around Downtown and surrounding areas in the city. You're right citywise in america they are all the same but surroundings, people, climate, etc make the difference, well hope you have a good time living there. :cheers:

·
Texas-NoVA
2,265 Posts
Nick in Atlanta said:
Maybe I missed the info, but what is the name of the built up area in the foreground of the first photo? And what direction is the camera facing?
lol. I was wondring that as well. I never seen a little skyline in that area before.

·
jive turkey
2,343 Posts
Nick in Atlanta said:
Wouldn't it be Uptown then?
no.. uptown is in-between midtown and downtown...

like, midtown east is mockingbird area

midtown

uptown

downtown

but like i said, there is another name for this area...design district i think. as a whole anyway... i know all the other artsy districts are directly south (along the levee) of there... the photo district.. antique- fabric- etc etc...

·
Registered
754 Posts
I think it's called the Fashion District. Most of the mid rises in the foreground of the picture are the big three hospitals (Presbryterian, Children's, and UT Southwestern). Most of the rest of the buildings are the Hilton Anatole Hotel complex, the World Trade Center, and the Renaissance Hotel along the Stemmons Freeway corridor.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts